House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dom

I'm Seeing Falls

Bothered to look in a couple EA windows while in town today.

Two years ago you couldn't touch a two bed cottage in mid-Devon for under £140.

Now they're on at around £100, next to the deluded vendors still living in the past and holding out for strong money.

Bothered to look in a couple EA windows while in town today.

Two years ago you couldn't touch a two bed cottage in mid-Devon for under £140.

Now they're on at around £100, next to the deluded vendors still living in the past and holding out for strong money.

Didn't realise property was so cheap in Devon.

(even if you did mean £140k falling to £100k)

How come they are so cheap? Doesn't anyone have a proper job in Devon?

Didn't realise property was so cheap in Devon.

(even if you did mean £140k falling to £100k)

Doesn't it depend on how much local salaries are? If you are comparing a London salary to a Devon property then it will appear "cheap" in comparison to an equivalent property in London. MUPPET!

But then your post was just meant as a wind up wasn't it? Thank you for your contribution to the foum, now go down the pub! ;)

Doesn't it depend on how much local salaries are? If you are comparing a London salary to a Devon property then it will appear "cheap" in comparison to an equivalent property in London. MUPPET!

But then your post was just meant as a wind up wasn't it? Thank you for your contribution to the foum, now go down the pub! ;)

Actually I live in the SW too. (but not in Devon)

I think the original poster was the wind up merchant. (Or was it just wishful thinking?)

Prices falling 30% YOY?

I don't think so.

Check the Land Registry figures for Devon.

Up 0.6% YoY. UP 6% in the last quarter. (This means they'd have to have fallen 30% the PREVIOUS year)

You might find small pockets within the Devon figures showing -5% YOY but the general trend is stagnation.

According to the LR figures, prices seem a lot higher than £100k for 2 bed properties in Devon BTW.

Hence my (tongue in cheek) comment, aimed at the poster who thinks prices have fallen to silly money.

Edited by Without_a_Paddle

That is just an estate agent's website.

In 2001 I was looking at 4 bed detached properties having just paid off my current house. Prices were going UP big time in 2001. The majority of houses were selling quickly and prices kept creeping up. Yet I saw properties that couldn't sell. They were on the market at 228k for example and ended up at 208k many months later. Does that mean that house prices were falling in 2001? I don't think so...

Maybe you don't realise, but the job of an estate agent is to advertise and sell property.

Try doing a search up to £120K.

There are three, two bedroom terrace houses on at under £110k, one of them is on for £105K.

Maybe you don't realise, but the job of an estate agent is to advertise and sell property.

Try doing a search up to £120K.

There are three, two bedroom terrace houses on at under £110k, one of them is on for £105K.

Show me the evidence to show me that prices have fallen by 30% in Devon. The cheap properties you have dug out don't say 30% off do they? You have just dug out some grotty properties which are probably in grotty surroundings.

According to the LR figures a Mid Devon terrace averages at £148k.

Prices are up 8% in the last quarter and 3% YOY. Where are your 30% falls????????????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d.../county29.stm?t

Yes, but look........

CREDITON is a busy "market" town, with a resident population of about 6,000 and serves as a focal point for shopping and scholastic purposes for an additional 15,000 people living in the nearby villages.

Crediton, a town for our times.

Show me the evidence to show me that prices have fallen by 30% in Devon. The cheap properties you have dug out don't say 30% off do they? You have just dug out some grotty properties which are probably in grotty surroundings.

Prices are up 8% in the last quarter and 3% YOY. Where are your 30% falls????????????

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d.../county29.stm?t

I don't understand what you want.

They are far from grotty, there are no grotty parts of Crediton, it's the epitome of a rural market town.

So why are these on at under £110K?

And there's more,

http://www.helmores.com/properties_details.htm?p_ref=DHC3663

This one looks like it's had some money spent, could be your for £110K.

http://www.helmores.com/properties_details.htm?p_ref=DHC3755

WTF is that supposed to mean? What's your definition of a 'proper job'?

You're a complete tw@t aren't you?

I think he was just joking, chill! Relatively speaking you get paid more in a 'proper' place like London, with a 'proper' job (i.e; better paid than..Devon, Wales...etc). Didn't you know that? It's called caustic wit, unfortunately you can't purchase it, with 'inferior' or 'proper' money - which is a shame, because it sounds like you do with some.

;)

I think he was just joking, chill! Relatively speaking you get paid more in a 'proper' place like London, with a 'proper' job (i.e; better paid than..Devon, Wales...etc). Didn't you know that? It's called caustic wit, unfortunately you can't purchase it, with 'inferior' or 'proper' money - which is a shame, because it sounds like you do with some.

;)

As explained earlier it was meant as a tongue in cheek remark. Perhaps my sense of humour is open to misinterpretation.

Dom, I'm still waiting to see your evidence from the Land Registry for those 30% falls in mid Devon.

Dom, I'm still waiting to see your evidence from the Land Registry for those 30% falls in mid Devon.

Hang on, when did I bring the LR into it?

What I said was two years ago you couldn't touch a 2 bed terrace for under £140K.

Bo11ox to the LR, do you think I'm making this up?

Here's five pages of of 2-4 bed houses in Devon for under £110k. OK?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/search.rsp?lo_u...bmit_dosearch=1

Hang on, when did I bring the LR into it?

What I said was two years ago you couldn't touch a 2 bed terrace for under £140K.

Bo11ox to the LR, do you think I'm making this up?

Yes I do think you're making it up.

Do you really want me post land registry details of LOADS of terraced properties that sold around the £100k mark in your beloved Crediton in 2003?

Try doing a search on www.houseprices.co.uk

I looked up terraces in the streets in Crediton shown in the links you kindly sent me. The prices two years ago were similar (slightly lower?) two years ago. Just like the Land registry figures predicted.

Nice try....

Do you really want me post land registry details of LOADS of terraced properties that sold around the £100k mark in your beloved Crediton in 2003?

Try doing a search on www.houseprices.co.uk

I'll do it for you,

New build terraces on that went for £50k last year.

471 31/03/2004 £50,000 Ter. F/H Map 4, Iter Court, Bow, Crediton, Devon, EX17 6BZ

On this particular development prices start at £160k.

Look at these,

467 01/04/2004 £45,000 Ter. F/H Map 57, Park Street, Crediton, Devon, EX17 3HP

458 02/04/2004 £55,000 Ter. F/H Map Wheaty Cottages, 2, Iter Park, Bow, Crediton, Devon, EX17 6BU

430 17/05/2004 £60,000 Ter. F/H Map 3, West End, Poughill, Crediton, Devon, EX17 4DG

Look, farm house!

493 16/03/2004 £60,000 Det. F/H Map Dowrich Farmhouse, Sandford, Crediton, Devon, EX17 4EQ

19/04/2004 £90,000 Det. F/H Map Treedown Farm, Spreyton, Crediton, Devon, EX17 5AS

These must be deals to which joe public is excluded, which means that ave prices and LR figures mean little.

I'll do it for you,

New build terraces on that went for £50k last year.

471 31/03/2004 £50,000 Ter. F/H Map 4, Iter Court, Bow, Crediton, Devon, EX17 6BZ

On this particular development prices start at £160k.

Look at these,

458 02/04/2004 £55,000 Ter. F/H Map Wheaty Cottages, 2, Iter Park, Bow, Crediton, Devon, EX17 6BU

430 17/05/2004 £60,000 Ter. F/H Map 3, West End, Poughill, Crediton, Devon, EX17 4DG

Look, farm house!

493 16/03/2004 £60,000 Det. F/H Map Dowrich Farmhouse, Sandford, Crediton, Devon, EX17 4EQ

19/04/2004 £90,000 Det. F/H Map Treedown Farm, Spreyton, Crediton, Devon, EX17 5AS

These must be deals to which joe public is excluded, which means that ave prices and LR figures mean little.

As far as I know, all privately owned/sold properties end up in the LR.

I only looked at OLD terraced houses in the SAME streets from the links you gave me, and sure enough if you looked at the LR figures for those streets, the general prices were the same or slightly lower in 2003/4 compared to today.

eg Look at Dean Street.

There is a 2 bed terrace on the market today on Dean St for £130k (from YOUR link)

http://www.helmores.com/properties.htm?sid...rtby=&l=10&o=20

here are the LR figures for all the old terraces on Dean Street in 2003

28/11/2003 £112,000 Ter. F/H Map 5, Dean Street, Crediton, Devon, EX17 3EN

05/09/2003 £87,000 Ter. F/H Map 42, Dean Street, Crediton, Devon, EX17 3EW

19/08/2003 £100,000 Ter. F/H Map 26, Dean Street, Crediton, Devon, EX17 3EN

08/08/2003 £94,000 Ter. F/H Map 20, Dean Street, Crediton, Devon, EX17 3EN

25/07/2003 £86,000 Ter. F/H Map 5, Dean Street, Crediton, Devon, EX17 3EN

So why so MANY old terraces for circa £100k in Crediton two years ago dom? I thought you said no one could touch a 2 bed terrace for less than £140k two years ago? Why did none of them appear as £140k (joe public purchases?) i.e. were they ALL only sold to members of some masonic group? Maybe you should start a thread on this. Number 5 got sold TWICE within the 'masons' not a bad feat (shame prices were going UP though dom, WHERE ARE THE 30% FALLS?)

The 'masons' are also at it in east street Crediton (2 bed terrace on East Street today for £120k)

http://www.helmores.com/properties.htm?sid...rtby=&l=10&o=10

But look...

19/01/2004 £103,500 Ter. F/H Map 7, East Street, Crediton, Devon, EX17 3AT

01/08/2003 £89,950 Ter. F/H Map 7, East Street, Crediton, Devon, EX17 3AT

Same house number, same street, (again sold twice by the masons?), showing prices going UP. WHERE ARE THE 30% FALLS dom?

Which do I believe? The real facts about property prices (based on the LR) or your view? You see, by your own admission, you seem to judge the market by the odd glance in an EAs window. Hardly accurate.

Give it up....

Edited by Without_a_Paddle

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this particular issue, Dom will have the last laugh when prices have fallen 30%.

Give it up Without......

I'm trying to ...

Maybe dom has a VI in spreading misinformation about collapsing property prices in the SW.

BTW Just noticed this thread has five stars..... surely you all jest.