House Price Crash Forum

Royal Prerogative - Should The Queen Dissolve Parliament?

HOLA441

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_prerogative_in_the_United_Kingdom

The royal prerogative is a body of customary authority, privilege, and immunity, recognised in the United Kingdom as the sole prerogative of the Sovereign and the source of many of the executive powers of the British government.

Prerogative powers were formerly exercised by the monarch acting on his or her own initiative. Since the 19th century, by convention, the advice of the prime minister or the cabinet—who are then accountable to Parliament for the decision—has been required in order for the prerogative to be exercised. The monarch remains constitutionally empowered to exercise the royal prerogative against the advice of the prime minister or the cabinet, but in practice would only do so in emergencies or where existing precedent does not adequately apply to the circumstances in question.

Given the exceptional crisis that now engulfs the UK should the Queen exercise her right and dissolve Parliament for force a general election even if the new PM doesn't want one?

The union is in crisis, Her Majesty's Govt is in complete disarray as is the official opposition.

Surely as Head of State she should state she no longer has confidence in these morons and dissolve Parliament and call a general election.

HOLA442
HOLA443

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_prerogative_in_the_United_Kingdom

Given the exceptional crisis that now engulfs the UK should the Queen exercise her right and dissolve Parliament for force a general election even if the new PM doesn't want one?

The union is in crisis, Her Majesty's Govt is in complete disarray as is the official opposition.

Surely as Head of State she should state she no longer has confidence in these morons and dissolve Parliament and call a general election.

Perhaps we should have a referendum on the question...

HOLA444

I had mooted that scenario myself,

if the Queen foresees a breakup of the united kingdom she steps in an annulls the referendum result.

Most of the population would probably accept that coming from the Queen but never from the politician crowd that have got us to this point.

HOLA445

Think you're being a tad melodramatic there rippy.

7 days later, and - apart from the highly entertaining Westminster side-show - nowt has changed.

Me wages are in the bank, there's food and drink in the fridge, and the weather is still shite.

And I can assure you that being at work today was equally as tedious as it was last Thursday, and no-doubt it will be again next Thursday.

In fact - I wish we had a referendum EVERY Thursday...!

;)

XYY

HOLA446

Wow, I coldn't believe there could be any crazy stuff left to happen, but that would definitley be the cherry on the cake. Fingers crossed (not for any particular political wishes, just to add to the amazing stuff going on that I thought I'd never see in my lifetime)

HOLA447

Is there anyone to vote for?

There never is. In fact if I didn't see it as a civic duty, I wouldn't vote for anyone who put him/herself up for election on the basis that their ego is over inflated. ?

HOLA448

The British constitution can be summed up thus "the Queen assents to what Parliament presents"

The royal perogative as I understand it allows the monarch to refuse assent to legislation - not to dissolve parliament

e.g. the PM goes to the Queen and asks if he can have an general election - she can say no

It's also limited to defence and foreign policy which is recommeded to her by the PM and she agrees to - I really can't think of a time (pre bill of rights 1689) when the monarch has refused the PM (top of my head I think it was Charles I who fecked with Parliament and look how that worked out for him)

Interesting that one of her remits is foreign policy - so it could be argued that Brexit can be subject to the royal perogative, but she'd really have to see the country going to hell in a handcart to step in (and according to brexiters, leaving the EU is great for the UK)

We;re not at constitutional crisis yet - it's 'only' a political crisis.

But yes, something like the breakup of the Union (which would require legislation) she'd very probably refuse and THAT would trigger an election

HOLA449

I had mooted that scenario myself,

if the Queen foresees a breakup of the united kingdom she steps in an annulls the referendum result.

Most of the population would probably accept that coming from the Queen but never from the politician crowd that have got us to this point.

You are mistaken. I for one would never accept the result of the referendum being annulled by the Queen.

Revolutions have started for less.

HOLA4410

You are mistaken. I for one would never accept the result of the referendum being annulled by the Queen.

Revolutions have started for less.

As I've said in another thread - there'll be some burnt out cars and broken windows in the provinces and that's about it

The yoof (who are more likely to be firebrands and be the revolutionaries are from my understanding of the vote mainly remainers. Please correct me if I'm wrong)

White working class disaffected poor in northern heartlands are what used to be cannon fodder 100 years ago - they'll either be bribed or beaten into submission

The white middle class that voted for Brexit will look at their house tanking in value and their two holidays a year disappearing stay in and hope it all goes away.

I agree revolutions have started for less but not in X-factor modern Britain

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Think you're being a tad melodramatic there rippy.

7 days later, and - apart from the highly entertaining Westminster side-show - nowt has changed.

Me wages are in the bank, there's food and drink in the fridge, and the weather is still shite.

And I can assure you that being at work today was equally as tedious as it was last Thursday, and no-doubt it will be again next Thursday.

In fact - I wish we had a referendum EVERY Thursday...!

;)

XYY

Nowt has indeed changed.

Except the banksters have made billions and Carney got his inflation.

Hpi to infinity resumption.

HOLA4414

It's all conjecture. Yes the power probably exists but it has never been used and never would be...

The Monarch simply does not interfere in the workings of Parliament. She has the right to be consulted by the PM od the day but those discussions are strictly private although we got a tiny look in when Dave described the Queens reaction on the result of the Scots IndyRef.

Her role is purely ceremonial such as the State opening and the receiving of the leader with the most seats post General Election and asking them to form a Government. If they are unable the job passes to the next such leader.

When such work proves groundless the MP's themselves vote for another General Election to settle the matter.

HOLA4415

I'm wishing that she'd pop into Westminster one day and give all the MPs a bollocking; it wouldn't precipitate a constitutional crisis, and it might focus some minds seeing the party leaders get scolded like naughty schoolboys.

HOLA4416
The yoof (who are more likely to be firebrands and be the revolutionaries are from my understanding of the vote mainly remainers. Please correct me if I'm wrong)

It's possible that the "The Young Vote for Remain!" meme was a load of cobblers.

Best article I've found on this subject is in French: http://www.liberation.fr/desintox/2016/06/29/le-remain-premier-choix-des-jeunes-vraiment_1462866

Google Translate does a pretty good job of translating it into pidgin English:

HOLA4417

It's possible that the "The Young Vote for Remain!" meme was a load of cobblers.

Best article I've found on this subject is in French: http://www.liberation.fr/desintox/2016/06/29/le-remain-premier-choix-des-jeunes-vraiment_1462866

Furry muff.

Don't know what to believe anymore

HOLA4418

I only think the Queen should step in, like a President, if the Representatives of the People completely ignored the people.

i.e. The MPs voting to remain despite the referendum being leave.

I don't see this happening though here. Even though the people at the top are a bunch of arseholes, they are British arseholes.

HOLA4419
Should The Queen Dissolve Parliament?

I thought you were suggesting Nitric Acid.

HOLA4420

Surely you don't mean the media just made it up.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

As I've said in another thread - there'll be some burnt out cars and broken windows in the provinces and that's about it

White working class disaffected poor in northern heartlands are what used to be cannon fodder 100 years ago - they'll either be bribed or beaten into submission

The white middle class that voted for Brexit will look at their house tanking in value and their two holidays a year disappearing stay in and hope it all goes away.

I agree revolutions have started for less but not in X-factor modern Britain

Rather than a sudden angry revolt, how about a slow deterioration into 1970's Belfast style sectarianism - in select areas, plus the occasional wannabe Breivik or Jo Cox type murders?

THE WRATH OF THE AWAKENED SAXON

by Rudyard Kipling

It was not part of their blood,

It came to them very late,

With long arrears to make good,

When the Saxon began to hate.

They were not easily moved,

They were icy -- willing to wait

Till every count should be proved,

Ere the Saxon began to hate.

Their voices were even and low.

Their eyes were level and straight.

There was neither sign nor show

It was not preached to the crowd.

It was not taught by the state.

No man spoke it aloud

It was not suddently bred.

It will not swiftly abate.

Through the chilled years ahead,

When Time shall count from the date

That the Saxon began to hate.

HOLA4424

Me too.

I'm a Royalist up to a point, I think they are better than having a president.

But if they started any funny business...I could easily be possessed by the ghost of Cromwell.

Ditto. Whenever I get twinges of Republicanism I think of the likes of Blair as president, with Cherie as First Lady.

Quite enough to effect a cure for the moment.

HOLA4425

Many countries still have a Royal Family. Our Queen has been head of state before even I was born. I'm quite in favour of that, even though deep down I think I may be a republican. Who would be good enough as a British president? I would quite like Jasper Carrot, or Shirley Bassey or Brian May. I don't want some worn out politician troughing it.

Archived