Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Thanks I suspected he'd hold for political reasons; I think hammond will be a grey level headed chancellor and will always err on the side of caution. The BoE isn't really apolitical as we all know.

And to be fair I called it first on the other pound dropping thread ;-) haha - no - i know you had been thinking it as well. its good we were right.

Did end up betting on it too - nearly 2/1 on bet fair - I'm getting in carney head now.

Edited by Frugal Git

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Well Carney might have held, but my building society let me know they are dropping my rate from 1.5% to 1% form August 1st due to falling interest rates and mortgage rates.

The timing of this letter feels were they expecting a drop today that didn't happen.

Interest rates on savings drive me to work hard to save money for the future. Low interest rates on savings initially made me save harde, they now mean I have cut the work I do, because there is no point. I can't be the only one. How to incentivise people eh ?

HOLA4413

Well Carney might have held, but my building society let me know they are dropping my rate from 1.5% to 1% form August 1st due to falling interest rates and mortgage rates.

The timing of this letter feels were they expecting a drop today that didn't happen.

Interest rates on savings drive me to work hard to save money for the future. Low interest rates on savings initially made me save harde, they now mean I have cut the work I do, because there is no point. I can't be the only one. How to incentivise people eh ?

Exactly. I now do pretty much the bare minimum required to maintain a decent lifestyle. The savings are all there and will be used however I see fit, whenever I see fit. Maybe I'll buy a house sometime, maybe I won't.

One thing I am absolutely not going to do is to put myself back onto the corporate treadmill, working long hours and getting stressed, and paying the government a lot of tax so that they can actively use it against me by keeping house prices as high as possible and giving other people money for doing jack shit to make the employment figures look good.

There's only so long you can take it up the jacksie before it starts to chafe a bit and you decide you're just not going to play any more. My jacksie is now closed for business. Good work, successive governments.

HOLA4414

Exactly. I now do pretty much the bare minimum required to maintain a decent lifestyle.

I don't even employ people now, partly because there were no gains for me, but more because I saw no future for the youngsters I was training, I felt like I was just leading them on and giving false hope. And I thought I was doing the right thing.

HOLA4415

Thanks I suspected he'd hold for political reasons; I think hammond will be a grey level headed chancellor and will always err on the side of caution. The BoE isn't really apolitical as we all know.

Carney did not hold. The MPC held. I suspected that despite what Carney said the other MPC members would vote no change. I mean, what has changed in the economy apart from a load of scaremongering crap? We are not out of the EU yet and won't likely to be for at 2.5 years at the earliest. Nothing has changed. But the BBC was full of it all morning saying that rates WILL be cut today. Normally the BBC never mentions the rate decision or the value of the £ even when has fallen a lot. But because its brexit they have suddenly woken up. The Radio 2 Vine show is laughable.

• 4 months later...
HOLA4416
On 30/06/2016 at 7:15 PM, 200p said:

I think people are not sure where to put the money.

The EU - it might break up.

China - they are going through a bust.

USA - Trump has a good chance of winning, so no go there. (Although I'd actually be bullish if he won)

Japan - nope.

The UK - Wait and see.... If Trump wins - bullish for the UK with a Brexit.

The SP500 is at all time new highs

big_chart.gif

Edited by 200p