House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

Anyone Had Shingles?

I'm about a week in, and the bh keeps nagging me to see the doctor. I don't want to do this as there is no cure and apparently they just give stronger pain killers you take until it runs it course. I also don't want to spend half a day in a waiting room either catching something else or tutting at regular malingerers.

If you have had this, can you say if going to the quacks helped to improve anything? The only aspect I think justifies a visit is if I may have made an incorrect diagnosis.

Had it just after Christmas. Going to the doctor at this stage is a waste of time, a lesson I learn when I tried to arrange an appointment but the first they could give me was a week away. When I arrived they confirmed it was shingles and said I should have come immediately (err yeah I did try) as past 48 hours or so there is literally nothing they can do and it just needs to play out. The doctor offered me nothing at all.

Everybody told me how terrible it is and how sorry they were for me, my only grip was I did even realise what it was an I could have had a week off work. Wasn't that bad at all in all honesty other than feeling very knackered for a few days.

Clears up within 10 days to a week for most people, it might flair up again a month or so after.

I thought that anti virals were available that can shorten the course a bit?

As I mentioned, they can but it needs to be caught in the first 24-48 hours, will be too late for Trampa501

Not saying to not go to the doctors, but do so with that in mind and the my experience that they offered nothing.

Not had it, but have had chicken pox as a child....as I understand it, it is the same dormant virus that shows itself sometimes in later life.....all the people I know that have had it was during a stressful time in their lives....that could be a clue, might be wrong.;)

Yep. Problem is there wasn't much pain the first couple of days. Still not excessive but I have to keep still to avoid more severe stinging.

I have to avoid contact with others at the moment as I understand I can pass on the pox virus.

Otherwise not the worse that can happen (for example night cramps can be more painful). But it affects some people more than others. Strange how it only affects one side of the torso - maybe the virus lives on one side of the brain?

Had it about 20 years ago. Thought I had been punch in my side it hurt so much. Then the blisters emerged. Not a huge patch, on my left side/trunk.

The doctor just let it run its course

Wife had it when pregnant. She was put on anti-virals due to risks to unborn child.. Both were fine.

Father in law had it on his face.. that was nasty, but ultimately cleared up although I don't know the details of his treatment.

I'd go to the doc sharpish - I don't know what the treatment is now, but my old man had it, but with no pain due to peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes

The first we knew was when he fell over because his leg didn't work anymore! - I kid not. Nerve damage that left his leg permanently paralysed :( - ended up in hospital (this was 20 years ago)

Sorry, for bad news, just my experience

I had shingles on my forehead around 25 years ago. Went to the doctors and he gave me some anti-viral cream (can't remember the name), Doctor said as it was near my eyes if it spread then to go back immediately.

In my case it left some scarring on my forehead (it's faded a lot now though so much less noticeable), also had some nerve pain for a few years afterwards – if I went out into cold wind, I'd had these shooting pains in my forehead.

As others have said it's probably a good idea to go to the doctors, even if the doctor decides to do nothing it'll reassure your other half.

Ring the docs and ask if you should see a doctor. Those GP receptionists have earned their medical knowledge through years of study so will know what's best.

:)

Yep. Problem is there wasn't much pain the first couple of days. Still not excessive but I have to keep still to avoid more severe stinging.

I have to avoid contact with others at the moment as I understand I can pass on the pox virus.

Otherwise not the worse that can happen (for example night cramps can be more painful). But it affects some people more than others. Strange how it only affects one side of the torso - maybe the virus lives on one side of the brain?

I believe it tends to exhibit along the pathway of a nerve.

I first had it about 20 years ago. Painful, but bearable. The quack offered no treatment. I had a lesser dose of it about ten years ago along the same nerve.

Definitely see the quack to get reassurance/confirmation.

I believe it tends to exhibit along the pathway of a nerve.

Yeah, virus lies dormant in the spinal cord. If the immunity system is low for some reason, the virus reactivates and travels along the nerves.

Shingles can damage eyesight or even cause blindness if around the eye - not sure where you are suffering but if anywhere near the eye you need to go to the doctor immediately - no time to waste.

This happened to a friend who ended up in hospital. Nightmare.

"

Eye problems

If one of your eyes is affected by shingles (ophthalmic shingles), there is a risk you could develop further problems in the affected eye, such as:

• ulceration (sores) and permanent scarring of the surface of your eye (cornea)
  • inflammation of the eye and optic nerve (the nerve that transmits signals from the eye to the brain)
  • glaucoma – where pressure builds up inside the eye

If not treated promptly, there is a risk that ophthalmic shingles could cause a degree of permanent vision loss."

Had an attack on one arm a couple of years ago. I managed to see a doctor pretty quickly and had to consume large quantities of anti-viral pills for a week or so. I'm not sure if the pills made any difference - I think the idea is to suppress the virus as much as possible in order to minimise side-effects, but you have to start within a day or two of the onset of the attack. There was some temporary nerve damage: I had quite a severe pain in my arm for a couple of months afterwards, but it eventually went away.

The main problem was exhaustion and general flu-like malaise for a week or so after the rash appeared.

I'm about a week in, and the bh keeps nagging me to see the doctor. I don't want to do this as there is no cure and apparently they just give stronger pain killers you take until it runs it course. I also don't want to spend half a day in a waiting room either catching something else or tutting at regular malingerers.

If you have had this, can you say if going to the quacks helped to improve anything? The only aspect I think justifies a visit is if I may have made an incorrect diagnosis.

Had it, went straight to the doctor, who misdiagnosed and I ended up in hospital. Very nasty in some cases. I've had a dim view of GPs since.

I would still go to the doctor - well I'd go to mine anyway, a young lady who says "poor you, there there there" and all that kind of stuff unlike the missus who is more "out of bed yer scurvy faced malingerer".

My dad had it and it still rears up.

He was weeks away from a pacemaker and his system was at an all time low.

I took him to A&E when we realised what was up, but by then the rash was half way round his torso so the Anti Virals didnt stop it.

He was given gabapentin and amitriptyline to quell the nerve pain. Didnt work.

Only thing that worked for him was Lidocaine cream. Not always on prescription though. Pharmacists will sell it, but its about £12 a pop.

He's currently using a dental spray version of it, as and when required.

There is also a cream made from chilis that works ok, i believe.

He's just glad it didnt get him on the face.

Yep, go tonyour doctor. Get it checked out just in case it is something else.

If shingles I would consider getting some Epsom bath salts - full of magnesium - and soaking in a bath regularly.

Get some extra Vitamin supplements by upping your Bs, C, E and D. Consider magnesium supplements and get some rest. Work out if you have a stressor in life at the moment.

He was given gabapentin and amitriptyline to quell the nerve pain. Didnt work.

In my experience amitriptyline is the most ineffective and shItty drug I have ever been on

It was originally developed as an anti-depressant - Didn't make me feel any better

It is also prescribed off label for chronic back pain - Garbage

It is also prescribed off label for chronic insomia - didn't touch it

In all three cases it left me like a fecking zombie until mid-afternoon

The last GP who suggested amitriptyline to me I told them to do one

In my experience amitriptyline is the most ineffective and shItty drug I have ever been on

It was originally developed as an anti-depressant - Didn't make me feel any better

Completely agree.

I went once asking for Tramadol, came back with Ami.

It zombied me too. Useless.

Had it, went straight to the doctor, who misdiagnosed and I ended up in hospital. Very nasty in some cases. I've had a dim view of GPs since.

I would still go to the doctor - well I'd go to mine anyway, a young lady who says "poor you, there there there" and all that kind of stuff unlike the missus who is more "out of bed yer scurvy faced malingerer".

I like your wife. She sounds like she's singing from my song book.

Nothing puts me in a sh!t mood like amitriptyline. I was given it for my shoulder pain and if I take one before bed I wake up in the worst mood ever. It's ghastly stuff.

Had it.

The strong stuff is unavailable from the NHS/doctor. I think it was Valacyclovir (Valtrex) - bought it from an online pharmacy for about £40 as you have to take a lot.

Didn't get a rash. Lasted about 10 days?

Caused by bad deep tissue massage. Apparently muscle tissue trauma can trigger it and it's dormant chicken pox btw. You can also get rash both sides (or none). Not very communicable unless you drip wound pus onto people AND they have not had chicken pox before. Keep it covered, once scabbed it's all over.