House Price Crash Forum

Opportunity To Self Build At 50% Discount

HOLA441

Would be buyers with something of a deposit should be getting behind the movement for radical changes to remove planning restrictions. This opportunity has been largely overlooked by the masses who have not been able to get their minds around the consequences.

The advantages are

1. Greater tax take on release of land

2. Greater council tax take from increase in property numbers

3. Greater provision of affordable housing

The only downside (for some) is general reduction in house prices

Clearly the only losers are the property investors.

It really should not be difficult for the would-be FTB to help push this new legislation through. Suppport Prescott for once. Plus apply pressure for higher quality larger homes - which will go down well.

Remeber it is better to pay an extra 20% in tax than an extra 100% in property investor profit

The property investors will play the ' we should not concrete over our countryside' card, but this is so weak when the statistics of land use are analysed.

HPCers should all suppport the changes is legislaton.

I would appreciate comments from those wishing to see a 40% reduction in prices over the next 2 years!!

HOLA442
HOLA443

A close relative of mine worked for some years in a high profile PR post on town planning issues for a large organisation. She regularly drafted press releases on planning issues aimed at the print and broadcast media.

According to her, you would not believe the power and influence of the CPRE (Council for the Protection of Rural England). They basically have cornered the media and public debate in the area of planning. Of course their message is "not in my back yard", "don't turn the fields into concrete" etc. and I would expect them to oppose Prescott's plans tooth and nail.

Really, it is a no-brainer for the current government to push through planning reform. Everyone knows that the rural population is very small and none of them will ever vote Labour anyway. On the other side, huge masses of ordinary people will benefit from a house-building boost. In a way, it is analogous to the fox-hunting issue in the sense of the urban/rural divide.

There needs to be an articulate and well-funded pressure group to lobby the government on the other side of the debate. This is what was present to get fox-hunting banned, but apparently absent in the case of planning reform.

frugalista

HOLA444

Would we want to live here in 50yrs time if this goes ahead.

It takes too long to get to work as it is, the roads are jammed hospitals are full up and turning patients away, schools are full up as well.

For every house that is built, there is another 1,000 families in Europe who have the right to come to the UK and live here. We could never ever build enough houses, the demand is too high and it is down to the Labour Parties policy on immigration that has seen the population compete even harder for a roof over their heads.

By all means open up some new housing, but first put in the infrastructure!!! its a rat race as it is having to work into our seventies to pay for all the stupidity that has gone on over the past 10yrs.

HOLA445

It takes too long to get to work as it is, the roads are jammed hospitals are full up and turning patients away, schools are full up as well.

For every house that is built, there is another 1,000 families in Europe who have the right to come to the UK and live here. We could never ever build enough houses, the demand is too high and it is down to the Labour Parties policy on immigration that has seen the population compete even harder for a roof over their heads.

By all means open up some new housing, but first put in the infrastructure!!! its a rat race as it is having to work into our seventies to pay for all the stupidity that has gone on over the past 10yrs.

We have more land under the plough than any large European country - we've got plenty of space to build.

Road charging could sort out the infrastructure problem by first taking off the pressure from low value journeys and then rewarding people who built genuinely needed roads. All the talk of infrastructure is just a delaying tactic by nimbys.

HOLA446

We have more land under the plough than any large European country - we've got plenty of space to build.

Road charging could sort out the infrastructure problem by first taking off the pressure from low value journeys and then rewarding people who built genuinely needed roads. All the talk of infrastructure is just a delaying tactic by nimbys.

Infrastructure is not just roads. What about the water mains, sewers, gas mains, electricity cables, telephone cables, railways, schools, hospitals, refuse disposal sites, libraries, council offices, parks, prisons, Job Centres, crematoria, cemeteries, etc.?

HOLA447

Do you really believe that immigration had a material impact on house prices over the last 4 years? If yes could you please let us know why (stats. etc...).

The immigration factor is often brought forward in this site (in particular by a certain Brainclamp) but nobody has ever been able to provide any concrete evidence that HPI has been driven by immigration (not even partially).

HOLA448

If the demand was too high there wouldn't be a lot of empty houses..

its all down to how much people want for their homes.. and how much people are prepared to pay

HOLA449
According to her, you would not believe the power and influence of the CPRE (Council for the Protection of Rural England). They basically have cornered the media and public debate in the area of planning

Yes our Media only listens to money !

i get my news from the internet as papers and the news are all controled by a few people

HOLA4410

Road charging could sort out the infrastructure problem by first taking off the pressure from low value journeys and then rewarding people who built genuinely needed roads. All the talk of infrastructure is just a delaying tactic by nimbys

Road charging is a red herring, do you honestly believe that all those people queued up on Britains roads each morning and evening are doing it for fun?.

They are undertaking essential journeys to the world of work to keep their heads above water.

We most certainly do not have a more land under the plough, and what we do have should be kept as such.

Easy for people to forget we are an island nation, but the fact is we just do not know what is the future. We must always keep our ability to independently provide food for the nation we just do not know what is around the corner.

With regard to immigration, for sure it has played a part in price inflation however I am not suggesting it is the only factor indeed certainly not the primary factor. However if you dont have the resources and cannot provide homes for your own people then you have no business openening the doors to the worlds homeless populations. Charity begins at home!!!.

My main point is that no matter how many homes you build, there will never ever be enough as the entire population is entitled to settle in the UK by default.

I'm afraid its nothing to do with NIMBY its to do with plain common sense. We do not have the resources to supply the current population, water is predicted to be a very scarce resource very soon, as is waste disposal. We should be more conservative with what we have and understand that wholesale building on land anywhere is neither feasible nor beneficial to the long term future of the UK

HOLA4411
Guest Bart of Darkness

One future is that the UK becomes a Manchester-to-London strip-conurbation megacity over the long term.

Drokk it Durch, does that mean I'm going to be an Eldster on Stookie or end my days in a Resyk?

Maybe I should buy a Mo-Pad and live in the Cursed Earth (Lancashire).

Grud on a Greenie!

Judge_Dredd.jpg

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I was wondering what number our Megacity would be?

The architect Will Alsop has proposed a megacity from London to Birmingham which he has named the "Diagonale" pronounced with an italian affectation as "Dee-ag-o-nar-lay"

This would be full of his trademark blobism which at least would be trivial to demolish in twenty or so years time when the new fashion for "landmarks" and "icons" will have passed. (He has laudable objectives, involving local communities in his work, and has built some good buildings but I fear what will happen if he becomes too influential).