House Price Crash Forum

Which Country Has The Model Trade Agreement With The Eu

HOLA441

Throughout the referendum campaign there was much discussion of which trade agreement we would like our future agreement to be like. No one seems to have mentioned South Korea. South Korea has a free trade agreement with the EU in goods and services without free movement of people or payment to the EU.

Furthermore, my untrained reading would suggest that this agreement would still hold between the UK and South Korea if we left and maybe even between the UK and the EU

HOLA442

Throughout the referendum campaign there was much discussion of which trade agreement we would like our future agreement to be like. No one seems to have mentioned South Korea. South Korea has a free trade agreement with the EU in goods and services without free movement of people or payment to the EU.

Furthermore, my untrained reading would suggest that this agreement would still hold between the UK and South Korea if we left and maybe even between the UK and the EU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_free_trade_agreements

Seems to have taken five years to implement...

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Nearer to home, there is the Isle of Man...

‘Isle of Man Relationship with the European Union’:
https://www.gov.im/media/624101/protocol3relationshipwiththeeu.pdf

Under Protocol 3, the Isle of Man is part of the customs territory of the Union. There is free movement of industrial and agricultural goods in trade between the Island and the Union. EU customs legislation and certain legislation relating to the trade in agricultural goods applies directly to the Island by virtue of Protocol 3.

The Isle of Man neither contributes to, nor receives anything from, the funds of the European Union.

Any proposal to amend the text of Protocol 3 would require the unanimous approval of all Member States of the EU.

Apart from the requirements of Protocol 3 all other EU legislation is not directly applicable to the Island. The Isle of Man Government may, however, choose to enact legislation that is similar to, or based on, EU legislation if it believes that this is in the Island’s interests.

The Island's relationship with the Union allows it to trade with countries in the European Economic Area that are not EU Member States (Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) in a fashion generally similar to its trade with the Union itself.

‘Who needs a work permit?’:
https://www.gov.im/categories/working-in-the-isle-of-man/work-permits/who-needs-a-work-permit/
Anyone who is not classed as an 'Isle of Man worker' requires a work permit to take up employment, (including self employment), in the Island. There are exemptions for a small number of occupations, and for certain temporary employments. In addition some non EEA nationals who have an immigration employment document do not require permits because they have equivalent permission to work on the Island under Immigration legislation.

An employer must not employ a person unless he or she is an Isle of Man worker, except in accordance with the above.

*New* With effect from 1 March 2016, certain employments in Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and e-business are exempt from the requirement for a work permit.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Doesn't Ukraine have the best arrangement?

Politicians are backpocketed zillions.

40 million people get to export a few jars of honey.

I'm thinking that a big part of the EU hostility towards Russia (and hence support of the coup in Ukraine) was down to UK input on behalf of the yanks (plus of course direct US pressure on EU states like France and Germany, I wonder what they heard in Merkel's phone calls?).

There could be a reconsideration of the sanctions on Russia which have hurt EU producers (particularly farmers) so much - certainly plenty of people calling for it. I would also assume that this will go hand in hand with a reduction in enthusiasm for 'supporting democracy' in Ukraine by pumping vast amounts of money in to support a basket case economy and a corrupt regime.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

As long as we don't go for the Norway or Swiss model

Agreed. I don't think Boris/Theresa will get away with that. Key pledges were made to "take back control" of our borders and EU budget contribution, it would be a huge u-turn to renege on wither or both of these issues.

I've been trying to find the interview with John Mills on this morning's today program: he suggested we just leave the single market and absorb the ~3% import tarriff. He pointed out that the fall in Sterling has more than offset this. I can see this might be an attractive options for goods but the financial services sector may want free and full access.

The immigration issue is going to be tough. Never mind Merkel's insistence on the free movement of people, if Scotland goes indepenent there will be a huge open border between us and anyone wanting to get in could just walk over.

Edited by InlikeFlynn

HOLA4413

The immigration issue is going to be tough. Never mind Merkel's insistence on the free movement of people, if Scotland goes indepenent there will be a huge open border between us and anyone wanting to get in could just walk over.

Purely in the interests of being a pedant, we already have that between Northern and Southern Ireland.

HOLA4414

Back to the OPs very interesting topic.. The South Korea model looks very interesting.

Would we lose our European financial passport still though? In the case of South Korea it is not entirely clear, but I presume we would:

The agreement also creates new opportunities for market access in services and investments, and includes provisions in areas such as competition policy, government procurement, intellectual property rights, transparency in regulation and sustainable development.

Obviously, whether the EU would cut us that deal is another matter.. especially with herr Junker's little personal vendetta against us.

Edited by libspero

HOLA4415

Agreed. I don't think Boris/Theresa will get away with that. Key pledges were made to "take back control" of our borders and EU budget contribution, it would be a huge u-turn to renege on wither or both of these issues.

I've been trying to find the interview with John Mills on this morning's today program: he suggested we just leave the single market and absorb the ~3% import tarriff. He pointed out that the fall in Sterling has more than offset this. I can see this might be an attractive options for goods but the financial services sector may want free and full access.

The Norway and Swiss models suck, because they have to abide by all the EU laws, and they have free movement.

No, it's either free trade no free movement, or nothing.

HOLA4416

Would we lose our European financial passport still though? In the case of South Korea it is not entirely clear, but I presume we would:

from the agreement:

This Section applies to measures of the Parties affecting the cross-border supply of all service sectors with the exception of: (a) audio-visual services (8); (B) national maritime cabotage; and © domestic and international air transport services, whether scheduled or non-scheduled, and services directly related to the exercise of traffic rights, other than: (i) aircraft repair and maintenance services; (ii) the selling and marketing of air transport services; (iii) CRS services; and (iv) other services auxiliary to air transport services, such as ground handling services, rental service of aircraft with crew and airport management services.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

As long as we don't go for the Norway or Swiss model

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Flexcit plan pretty much is the Norwegian/EFTA/EEA model. In fairness I think they say that's only an interim position along the road to plugging the UK directly into the key global organisations (from the UN to the Global Maritime Organisation and literally hundreds of others), but initially at least that's their number one recommendation (which has led to the criticism, "what if we get stuck there?").

As far as I can see they rejected the UKIP plan of going straight to what's basically a WTO model as too economically damaging, although they do concede that if they're unsuccessful in negotiating the Norwegian model with the EU within the two year time frame then the WTO would be their fallback. Additionally, if there's a second referendum that puts the Norwegian model to the British public, and that gets rejected, then I think they would advocate the WTO model under those circumstances too.

I've been going through their 400 odd page plan recently trying to see if there's any specific guidance on the Scotland/NI situation as revealed post referendum, but I can't find anything substantial so far. If anyone has any clues on that I'd appreciate a pointer.