House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

humdrum

Brexit And The "pale, White And Old Majority"

I found this in The Sunday Times of 26/6/16

Shingi Mararike is 20 years old, a student at Warwick University, a Sunday Times intern and not overly pleased by the vote to leave the EU....

Thanks , Farage. We young will be left to clean up this mess

Just because it is deemed “democracy” does not mean it cannot fail, writes Shingi Mararike.

As Nigel Farage fist pumps in jubilation and Boris Johnson bounces for joy, I and huge swathes of the young electorate are despairing.

The numbers speak for themselves. 75% of young voters decided to remain in the European Union, according to poll data from YouGov. Rather than opt for a forward, international Britain, however, the political class has smothered us.

The pale, old, white and male majority with one eye on ruddy-faced patriotism and their backs towards the future have optedfor isolationism over unity, for temerity over tolerance.

It is one thing to vote, it is another to rejoice in the fact that we have left a union that has given us peace and stability for more than 50 years.

The worse thing about it ? We have been left to deal with the ramifications of the decision made by a restless older generation. What was decided on a whim must now be suffered for the foreseeable future and beyond.

We will be the ones sweeping up the fragments of a severely shrunken economy, and we will be the ones working to patch together a decent working relationship with the rest of the continent for years to come.

“Independence Day”? More like Groundhog Day for bigots, with a smattering of racism on the side and a good helping of ignorance to boot.

According to Farage, the result represented a victory “for the real people, for the ordinary, for the decent people.”

Basking in the limelight of the victory that he has spent years plotting, the UKIP leader let loose with some of the most infuriatingly backwards rhetoric modern British has seen.

Talk of “dawn breaking over an independent United Kingdom” and “belief in nation underlined a scene that looked like it came straight out of a 1930s nationalist playbook.

Yet this is what we as young people must celebrate ? Prejudiced, hateful nonsense packaged in the form of so-called progression.

Viva la revolution, farewell Europe, hello uncertainty

“Independence Day”? More like Groundhog Day for bigots, with a smattering of racism on the side and a good helping of ignorance to boot.#

Bigots, racism, yeah yeah yeah, someone phone the waaaaaaaambulance we've got a bad case of butthurt right here

As someone more eloquently pointed out on another thread, how is it known who voted for what? The ballot box is meant to be anonymous. I suppose at least this article tries to derail that argument by pointing to a yougov poll, but how reliable is that?

Young people. two lectures and twenty thousand likes into life experience, berating those with upwards of forty years of it.

Shut

Up

I feel some correspondence to the Press Complaints Commission about racism coming on.

I'm pretty sick of this stuff about 'isolationism' and 'backwards facing' too - patently untrue, nobody on the Leave side has said we would stop trading, would stop immigration for people with skills or anything of that nature.

'A union that has given us peace and stability for 50 years' - No that would be membership of the UN and NATO that has given us relative peace. Forgot about the Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan, the Irish 'troubles' have we?

EDIT - the PCC doesn't exist anymore. I'll definitely be complaining to them about that. It's the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) now.

This from the youth of whom only 46% bothered to vote. I'm ashamed to say my 28 year old niece is one of the 'It isn't fair' camp. They just don't get that everyone's vote is equal. They'll get their chance to f@ck the country up like we all did. All in good time.

^^^ 36% in that demographic voted apparently.

So 75% of 36% of the 18-24 year olds is 27% of a 7 year age range.

That's a little bit different to the "75% of young people" claim isn't it.

I find it slightly puzzling that a forum that has a track record for despising boomers happily agree with how they have voted.

Nice attempt to conflate two separate issues. Those separate issues being housing and EU membership. People in being able to have different viewpoints on different subjects shocker!

where is the hard data of what percentage of young people voted, can anyone link to it?

Not 'hard data' as such. I'm not sure how they got these figures.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkyData/status/746700869656256512

Nice attempt to conflate two separate issues. Those separate issues being housing and EU membership. People in being able to have different viewpoints on different subjects shocker! Not 'hard data' as such. I'm not sure how they got these figures.https://mobile.twitter.com/SkyData/status/746700869656256512

EXACTLY, thanks for this. The truth is we don't know and it is part of the spin and disinformation coming out of the chatter around the result

Any idiot who calls not wanting to be in the EU "isolationism" and who thinks that having a problem with the very, very real and genuine problems of mass immigration is racism needs sectioning. Unfortunately we seem to have a very large number of them. Whether they're ignorant of the real problems or simply in denial of them doesn't matter, either way their stupidity is what's lead to leaving the EU looking like much the best option left.

Nice attempt to conflate two separate issues. Those separate issues being housing and EU membership. People in being able to have different viewpoints on different subjects shocker!

I wasn't deliberately conflating, it was a sincere question and I take your point.

This referendum has exposed major fault lines along economic, race, political, class and age differences that I truly wonder how it's all going to get glued back together

This from the youth of whom only 46% bothered to vote. I'm ashamed to say my 28 year old niece is one of the 'It isn't fair' camp. They just don't get that everyone's vote is equal. They'll get their chance to f@ck the country up like we all did. All in good time.

Saw the same from my nieces. They're a generation that have never been told no. Overindulged by parents, I know my rights, you can't tell me what to do yada, yada, yada.

Now they're throwing a paddy and stamping their feet.

I wasn't deliberately conflating, it was a sincere question and I take your point.

This referendum has exposed major fault lines along economic, race, political, class and age differences that I truly wonder how it's all going to get glued back together

In danger of being boring here, but how do we know this other than through anecdotes and the chatter from msm, sjws and the Westminster bubble?

I know of three under 25s very active on FB with plenty of REMAIN posts and likes.

All three didn't vote.

Maybe its a generational preoccupation with social media, over 40s within my friends and family only use it to more or less browse, hardly ever posting. They all voted.

Possibly a lot of people find it difficult to separate real life from cyberspace and media, hence the belief that 3m online votes in part made up from fraudsters will trigger a 2nd EU referendum.

A lot of news reports have featured vox pops from older and thicker people, happily described as such, expressing their LEAVE views, and younger, brighter people, voicing their REMAIN sadness.

Disgraceful stereotyping - that works.

So 75% of 36% of the 18-24 year olds is 27% of a 7 year age range.

That's a little bit different to the "75% of young people" claim isn't it.

She said "75% of young voters". Voters are people who voted. Not the same as "75% of young people".

I have no idea if her figure for young voters is correct,

She said "75% of young voters". Voters are people who voted. Not the same as "75% of young people".

Fair play I missed that. I'm in phone view and unless I directly quote something I don't have it to hand when writing posts so work from memory, which didn't work to well that time :)

Birmingham, a very diverse city voted out. For this to happen a very substantial part of the non white population must have voted out.

In danger of being boring here, but how do we know this other than through anecdotes and the chatter from msm, sjws and the Westminster bubble?

I'm just going with "hunch"

If I'm wrong tell I'll back down - but to have such a close result over something so so emotive signals to me that there are fault lines in this county

I don't relish this opinion and Will be very happy to be wrong