House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Oh God, I Have Been Invited For Sunday Lunch

I have been invited for Sunday lunch tomorrow by a friend of mine who voted to Leave.

The problem is, the other 4 guests are Guardian reading Remainers who have ranted at me before for even daring to suggest leaving. I have half a mind not to go and stay home.

I have prepared myself with a couple of responses:

1. Guardian tax avoidance and investment in derivatives.

http://order-order.com/2016/04/04/media-organisations-using-offshore-havens/

2. The danger to the NHS, Public Services and Food regs, amongst others, due to TTIP.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/what-is-ttip-and-six-reasons-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html

Can anyone suggest some other arguments?

Tell them that your vote didn't change the outcome, so what's their problem?

Or....

Be really obnoxious then ask them if they want to have a 'vote' to get you to shut up, or for you to ring Brussels and ask?

Or....

Ask them why the people they 'represent' hate their f**king guts?

Or....

Keep quiet, like they want you to. ;)

Have you not read the Guarniad problem page where someone has posted asking for advice because they and 3 friends have been invited by someone who voted leave for Sunday lunch and his strange friend will be there as well?

Have you not read the Guarniad problem page where someone has posted asking for advice because they and 3 friends have been invited by someone who voted leave for Sunday lunch and his strange friend will be there as well?

:lol::lol::lol:

I have been invited for Sunday lunch tomorrow by a friend of mine who voted to Leave.

The problem is, the other 4 guests are Guardian reading Remainers who have ranted at me before for even daring to suggest leaving. I have half a mind not to go and stay home.

I have prepared myself with a couple of responses:

1. Guardian tax avoidance and investment in derivatives.

http://order-order.com/2016/04/04/media-organisations-using-offshore-havens/

2. The danger to the NHS, Public Services and Food regs, amongst others, due to TTIP.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/what-is-ttip-and-six-reasons-why-the-answer-should-scare-you-9779688.html

Can anyone suggest some other arguments?

Just take some of those hard looking rough people from the local Council Estate who voted Leave on Thursday and I guarantee you won't hear a peep from the Remainers about last weeks vote.

Just take some of those hard looking rough people from the local Council Estate who voted Leave on Thursday and I guarantee you won't hear a peep from the Remainers about last weeks vote.

A friend of mine - leave voter - went into an off licence today and the shop assistant began ranting about the referendum. Said that she would love to know who voted to leave. My friend stayed silent.

:D

Post of the year.

I never knew so many people lived on council estates. This referendum has been quite a revelation.

I think copuncil estates is PC shorthand for "streets now filled with the sound of non-british, where you can't get a GP appointment, your kids are in a class with 47 languages"

Or is that racist?

TBF I would love to see the vote breakdown across Manchester.

I think copuncil estates is PC shorthand for "streets now filled with the sound of non-british, where you can't get a GP appointment, your kids are in a class with 47 languages"

Or is that racist?

The streets and primary school where I grew up in Belfast have that problem now, and we didn't live in a housing estate. It was whatever the 'next level up' is. Plain old 'working class'?

But basically what's happened is the builders are buying up the terraced houses, HMO-ing them, and 9 people (polish/african depending on street) are living in a house - there are problems with anti-social behavior.

These houses were the sort of houses that 15 years ago a 'young professional' straight out of uni would have been happy to buy and live in. Now it's only builders/BTL who buy 'em.

Primary schools are having massive problems because they're trying to teach a class where multiple languages are spoken. It's impossible.

My mum sits in her doctors waiting room and is often the only english speaking one there; surrounded by those speaking other languages to each other and translators to help them talk to the GP's.

But I'm called a racist in work for even telling these stories, and I'm quoted figures that 'prove' that in actual fact, there's hardly any immigrants here. Doesn't matter what my family and I see on the ground - complete transformation of certain areas compared to 10 years ago. I just need to stop being racist.

Do your best to avoid any political subjects whatsoever.

(1) Talk Wimbledon. These are fascinating times. Djokovic holds the first ever non-calendar slam - will he make it a calendar?

(2) Talk weather. (Yes, have a dig at global warming if you dare.)

(3) Talk food, compliment the host, ask how to cook it yourself, etc.

(4) Go for a walk afterwards and talk nature.

But if despite all your efforts the others insist on a moan about the 23rd, just ask them what they think will happen to Labour. Only 4% of its MPs voting Leave when c. 40% of their supporters did. How did it ever get so totally out of touch with them? Will UKIP now eat it alive across the NE?

The streets and primary school where I grew up in Belfast have that problem now, and we didn't live in a housing estate. It was whatever the 'next level up' is. Plain old 'working class'?

But basically what's happened is the builders are buying up the terraced houses, HMO-ing them, and 9 people (polish/african depending on street) are living in a house - there are problems with anti-social behavior.

These houses were the sort of houses that 15 years ago a 'young professional' straight out of uni would have been happy to buy and live in. Now it's only builders/BTL who buy 'em.

Primary schools are having massive problems because they're trying to teach a class where multiple languages are spoken. It's impossible.

My mum sits in her doctors waiting room and is often the only english speaking one there; surrounded by those speaking other languages to each other and translators to help them talk to the GP's.

But I'm called a racist in work for even telling these stories, and I'm quoted figures that 'prove' that in actual fact, there's hardly any immigrants here. Doesn't matter what my family and I see on the ground - complete transformation of certain areas compared to 10 years ago. I just need to stop being racist.

Welcome to vibrantville!

Be yhanful youve not got Roms.

Welcome to vibrantville!

Be yhanful youve not got Roms.

I'm assuming Roms = Romanians.

Big settlement of them near where I work.

I remember hearing a story from a friend about 10 years ago when all this started. He knew someone who owned a little corner shop in Belfast. A Romanian lady had been standing outside the shop selling the big issue. One day the shop owner goes into the entry behind the shop to find the Romanian lady, in broad daylight, squatting taking a sh*t in the entry.

Charming.