House Price Crash Forum

I'm dying to be that guy but fear the 'retribution' of being outed as a leaver..

Im struck by all the SJWs suddenly giving a monkeys what Goldman Sachs have to say, and vice versa.

******ing hilarious. Do they think nobody is watching?

What odd bedfellows!!

I'm not surprised. There was someone on here yesterday saying the Telegraph were quoting around half of housebuyers were now going to wait / pull out, or words to that effect. I'd love a source on this, couldn't find it anywhere.

I'm sure people are considering it but I imagine this story is completely made up - I seriously doubt a survey was carried out on people in a purchasing chain on Friday, of any sample size greater than about 3 people.

What Brexit can teach us about the psychology of fear

Given how unlikely it is that any one person’s vote will be the decisive one, voting decisions can be driven more by emotion than by rationality. And Brexit had a very powerful emotion on its side — fear of outsider and loss of identity. The Brexit vote is proof that when emotions battle reason in a voting booth, emotions can win. This fact stuns some pundits but it’s less surprising for neuroscientists. "Fear is an extremely motivating emotion," Cikara, who studies group conflict at Harvard, tells me. "And [politicians] who want to motivate others to engage in collective action are very smart to wield it." Her work shows that this fear doesn’t have to be based on "real" threats. Just the perception of a threat will do.

In the case of the Brexit, the motivating fear was — in part — xenophobia. Once we’re fearful of outsiders, Cikara and other psychologists have shown, our whole worldview changes. We become more cliquish, we’re quick to dehumanize, we’re more gullible when it comes to fear-mongering rumors. In recent years politicians have gotten more effective at painting immigrants as dangerous outsiders. Look no further than Donald Trump. Or his UK counterpart, Nigel Farage, the politician who has stoked fears by asserting thing like Muslims "don’t want to become part of our culture."

1: Fearing outsiders is one of our oldest psychological tendencies.

2: When we fear outsiders, we de-humanize them

3: When we fear outsiders, our brains’ exaggerate their threat

4: Anecdotes that instill fear of outsiders are much, much sticker than facts and figures.

5: The research is pretty pessimistic, but it also lends some hope. So our brains love seeing the world in terms of "us vs them," but there’s nothing in our brains that defines who "they" are.

The insinuation of this "research" is that such fear is merely a figment of the imagination, and not real in any sense. It's a disparagement of a legitimate fear when faced with uncontrolled immigration. Fear of public services being unable to cope if you live in an immigrant hotspot? Figment of your imagination. Fear of too much competition for jobs driving down wages and actual chances of job mobility? Figment of your imagination. Fear of immigration being a driver of HPI? Figment of your imagination. So on and so on. These fears are often realised in many immigration hotspots. People fear of things that are actually happening getting worse. Funny that the very same fear they disparage they will have themselves when they see a new competitor in their research field. Fear is a legitimate feeling at times. To explain it away as irrational when it's rational sounds like propaganda ("those thickos who voted leave are just muddled by irrational fear").

Edited by canbuywontbuy
The insinuation of this "research" is that such fear is merely a figment of the imagination, and not real in any sense. It's a disparagement of a legitimate fear when faced with uncontrolled immigration. Fear of public services being unable to cope if you live in an immigrant hotspot? Figment of your imagination. Fear of too much competition for jobs driving down wages and actual chances of job mobility? Figment of your imagination. Fear of immigration being a driver of HPI? Figment of your imagination. So on and so on. These fears are often realised in many immigration hotspots. People fear of things that are actually happening getting worse. Funny that the very same fear they disparage they will have themselves when they see a new competitor in their research field. Fear is a legitimate feeling at times. To explain it away as irrational when it's rational sounds like propaganda ("those thickos who voted leave are just muddled by irrational fear").

It would be an interesting experiment to locate the homes of some of these researchers and post a fake council notice through their doors announcing the councils intention to construct a camp to house a large number of immigrants in need of asylm on some nearby land close to their house. I suspect you would find them reacting in a way not too different from the people they sneer at in their research. They would be forming protest groups before you could say 'nimby'.

These people remind me of those tenured academic economists who preach the virtues of competiton in the jobs market- it's easy to occupy the moral high ground when the cost to yourself is zero.

Edited by wonderpup