House Price Crash Forum

Why Are The Young So Impressed By The Eu?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The EEC was part of the curriculum when I was in junior school. For weeks on end we watched pleasant videos of food and drink, and continental tourist attractions, presented by young, beautiful people

I can't remember any colouring-in exercises of Satan's throne, or pair trawlers, wine lakes, or CAP subsidized land owners.

My 8 year old relative recently said "we are all better together" regarding the referendum. It didn't sound like his wording, so I suspect it was from his school teachers.

One of the great things about this site is that I hear alternative voices that break through the miasma of school and mainstream media indoctrination.

mate, i am a prof at a major uk university, we had an email from the VC essentially telling us to vote remain. i openly post on facebook and argue. its about conviction, but my politics leans to anarchism anyway so i give this as a reason, which oddly seems to be accepted. I play in a pub quiz whose members are largely working/lower middle class, i know what they think. I have come to the conclusion that i am the only academic in the whole university who talks to the great unwashed

edit - wrote c**p

Well said

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153933520338375&id=13012333374

It is in part indoctrination.

My 8yo was surprised I'd voted Leave as everyone at school had voted remain.

She also couldn't understand that I told her not to say the I promise to serve the Queen part of Brownie promise. The Brownies had been telling all the kids how wonderful Queenie is and celebrating her birthday. :blink:

Are the young gonna rise up and get rid of the Four Olds in support of their glorious EU.

2557c6a9430925bd88fea4cb5732717a.jpg

Hmm maybe I shouldn't have told my daughter I voted Leave <nervous> :ph34r:

Edited by Migrant Mother

So now that a large fraction of young people (educated ones, apparently, no less) are angry and have reacted badly to this result, some of the older generation seem shocked? Maybe they underestimated their passion? I was pleased to see the reaction- apparently I misjudged their attitude somewhat myself. The increase of anti-boomer sentiment is palpable :)

Edited by btl_hater

It completely baffles me.

They were openly told by the UK Chancellor that housing would be 20% cheaper. (Possibly usual Osbo BS but hey.)

EU youth unemployment at ridiculous levels.

Passports needed for European travel, in or out.

Don't get it.

I asked my 26 year old son who voted out as did his whole team. He went to a top end public school, not Harrow or Etonian but they were his fixture list in all sports.

His belief was it was a brain washing project. He told me every text book had the eu flag plastered over it and the Eu was crow barred into every narrative subject book if poss

If this can happen at a school that was the very centre of the empire - Christ knows how further this indoctrination went in state schools

"I really really really care about migrants, now, somebody bring me a latte, and clean my phucking toilets.

A demographic missed by the Islington set and Cotswold crew was the deep resentment felt by the communities who helped rebuild Britain after the war through invitation and controlled immigration.

Displaced Eastern Europeans, Italians, West Indians, Asians, Turks and Greeks I have friends or colleagues of all these groups and it wasn't just the original settlers - my observation was were enough is enough was a vibe amongst 2nd and 3rd generations including my Liithuanan community. We were looking forward to our fellow countryman being free after the wall came down, they proved to be a violent, grasping set of peasants

Just another anecdotal view on how out of touch the elite were

Edited by Greg Bowman

Its worse than that, European students had access to student loans, what a joke, Latvians borrow to study in the UK and then go back to latvia. Dont need to repay until they earn +£21k a fortune in latvia!

In that case a lot of universities, including the one I work at where 70% of students are foreign, will probably be closing in the near future.

So now that a large fraction of young people (educated ones, apparently, no less) are angry and have reacted badly to this result, some of the older generation seem shocked? Maybe they underestimated their passion? I was pleased to see the reaction- apparently I misjudged their attitude somewhat myself. The increase of anti-boomer sentiment is palpable :)

Unfortunately, their passion did not include making the effort to turn up and vote.

Maybe they can now start writing songs about 'hoping to join a supranational political and economic trading zone with poorly defined democratic processes before they get old'.

Back in the 1960's middle class students protested against the race laws in South Africa and the segregated US south or against the Vietnam war. They actually identified with the bottom 30% of society. A lot of their idealism was hopelessly naive but at least they had some and they tried.

Now the idea of defiance is going to Glastonbury rather than voting and then cheering inane platitudes from groups like the 1975 about generational conflict. The fact some find this corporate rock festival (now a million miles from its hippy origins) as defining group experience really says it all. Presumably that is also why they all appear to love an international trading and political organisation that was largely dreamed up to serve the interests of big business.Are they going to be just as enthusiastic about fighting and dying for those same interests or is that going to be left to the poor kids who normally end in the military ? They clearly want security over liberty. Ultimately they are going to get neither.

Edited by stormymonday_2011

Unfortunately, their passion did not include making the effort to turn up and vote.

Maybe they can now start writing songs about 'hoping to join a supranational political and economic trading zone with poorly defined democratic processes before they get old'.

Back in the 1960's middle class students protested against the race laws in South Africa and the segregated US south or against the Vietnam war. They actually identified with the bottom 30% of society. A lot of their idealism was hopelessly naive but at least they had some and they tried.

Now the idea of defiance is going to Glastonbury rather than voting and then cheering inane platitudes from groups like the 1975 about generational conflict. The fact some find this corporate rock festival (now a million miles from its hippy origins) as defining group experience really says it all. Presumably that is also why they all appear to love an international trading and political organisation that was largely dreamed up to serve the interests of big business.Are they going to be just as enthusiastic about fighting and dying for those same interests or is that going to be left to the poor kids who normally end in the military ? They clearly want security over liberty. Ultimately they are going to get neither.

Nice. I enjoyed reading that :)

Its a fascinating question as on the face of it the generation with most to gain from escaping the current status quo seem to not want to escape it and a hard one to answer as the old adage that for every complex question there is a simple answer & it is wrong definitely applies here as the young are a very diverse group.

The younger generations have only ever known EU membership and there certainly seems to be a fair element of indoctrination to the effect that its a "good" thing and most of the "trendy" celebs that they aspire to be like support the idea. Key thing for me though is that the younger generation don't seem to realize or care about how utterly screwed they are and seem willing to drift along in a system that doesn't serve them. As George Orwell so correctly observed, the poor will tolerate anything provided they have a few basic luxuries to make their lives that bit more bearable - when writing The Road to Wigan Pier, he used fish n chips and a nice cup of tea as sample luxuries - writing today he'd use iphones & youtube. In fact the poor bloke's probably turning in his grave about how things have changed so much yet remained the same....

The EEC was part of the curriculum when I was in junior school. For weeks on end we watched pleasant videos of food and drink, and continental tourist attractions, presented by young, beautiful people

I can't remember any colouring-in exercises of Satan's throne, or pair trawlers, wine lakes, or CAP subsidized land owners.

My 8 year old relative recently said "we are all better together" regarding the referendum. It didn't sound like his wording, so I suspect it was from his school teachers.

One of the great things about this site is that I hear alternative voices that break through the miasma of school and mainstream media indoctrination.

I was also taught about the EEC/EU at school. I specifically remember being taught about wine lakes, butter mountains and the effects of the CAP.

Edited by Breowan

Perfect.

I commented to my old man on Friday night, that the "highly educated" barrista gal who "didn't understand" how the UK could have voted this way, would be happy to hide behind the working class canon fodder that voted leave.

Also to add, the highly educated barrista gal......was a barrista gal. Who was told housing might get cheaper by Ozzy if we left, but still voted remain.

Edited by shindigger

I was also taught about the EEC/EU at school. I specifically remember being taught about wine lakes, butter mountains and the effects of the CAP.

Indeed, the young in those days protested against the planned overproduction, whilst people starved in Africa.

The EU prevented exports of the foodstuffs at prices the Africans could afford.

Just as now they have tarrifs on manufactured goods from Africa's poor.

I was also struck by the parallel with 1968. The erstwhile leader of those events, Daniel Cohn-Bendit aka 'Danny the Red' has been a member of the European parliament for 20+ years. In other words, a lifetime trougher. While he and his fellow agitators were spouting Maoist slogans and fornicating like goats the real revolution was being quietly created by guys with pocket protectors at Intel and Bolt, Beranek and Newman. He never had a clue. Then or now.

They may say they want to, but the estimate is that only 36% of 18-24 year olds actually got off their arses to go and vote. If they'd hit the turnout % of the over 65s (estimated 83%), then they would have swung the whole thing (assuming the stated 75% remain held for all the non-voters).

Interesting statistic.. do you have a link per chance?

Edit: found it, a Sky poll

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkyData/status/746700869656256512

Edited by libspero

The Young

They have a Tory Education Secretary, Nicky Morgan

She is a SJW.

She said, on the beeb just now, that in the coming fight for the Tory Leadership, there should be a female and a male candidate.

You see, it all about feelings with SJWs...we are all equal and are entitled to respect, and if that means employing people because Vagina, then so be it. SJWs are a cancer on the community.

And from the Top down, SJWs dominate the educating classes, and therefore the educated classes.

And if you dont respect trigglypuff for her autism, her obesity and her inability to think, that makes you a person that MUST be berated, MUST be shamed until you submit...You MUST bring trigglypuff into your life because its her right to be loved by you.

Luckily, these extremists are fairly rare in the real world outside the Educational system, but they are given free vent on the social media and on campus....where microaggressions are not tolerated, but the intolerable is.

In my teens and early twenties I thought I knew everything, however twenty years later I now know how wrong/clueless I was about many things.

The majority of todays teens and twenty somethings and even older will be just the same.

Nothing changes and we are on many fronts probably less wise, less articulate and possible dumber than the generations before us.

Todays career politicians are a prime example.