House Price Crash Forum
wonderpup

Why Are The Young So Impressed By The Eu?

I get the romantic appeal that the EU has as a concept- that it represents a coming together of the people's of Europe, promotes peace ect- but why do the young seem to feel that being in the EU is essential to their own economic future?

After all millions of young people in the EU are treated like scum by the EU elite who happily tolorate huge levels of youth unemployment as a 'price worth paying' in their pursuit of internal devaluation policies designed to protect the Eurozone from imploding (which it will anyway)

Do the young in the UK actualy know anything about the EU? Or are their views based on some fanatasy version of the place in which happy shiny young people all join hands and sing about world peace?

Where do they get this fixation that the EU is good for young people- and do they imagine that the young people of Greece or Spain or Portugal share this starry eyed view? If the EU is such a great thing for young people why are so many of them left to rot on unemployment or forced to migrate to the UK in search of a better life?

Any young person on the forum wish to have a crack at answering this one?

I'm 46 so can't answer the question but I think, like the referendum result itself, there's a regional disparity in what young people think. The offspring of wealthy London residents who can pay for their children to go to university and have connections to get them into well paid jobs have the luxury of taking a starry eyed view of the EU. A youngster living in a sink estate in a Northern city with only a zero-hours contract and a lifetime of renting probably thinks differently.

It is because they become indoctrinated at university as it is the only hope they have of a well paying job after studying a non stem subject.

I work as a post doc in a university and yesterday the young uns went mental, absolutely mental. I could not believe the pure hate directed against people who voted to leave the EU ( I kept quiet). One chap seemed to think it will send is back to the dark ages.

The older staff were just as bad and the chancellor even sent an email out saying how we need to all such together despite the bad news. Personally I think they are just shitting it because without all the immigrants doing there degrees at the uni its probably the end of the road.

George Orwell said something about the brainwashed proletariat being full of hate and resentment for anybody who threatened the status quo to the extent that they would kill in an almost blind rage if they were that way inclined. That's the power of lifelong indoctrination. The schools' agenda was, I have no doubt, changed substantially once Britain had committed to stay in the "common market" back in 1975. From that point on, they became indoctrination centres, so effective in their role, that to a whole generation, leaving the EU became unthinkable.

It completely baffles me.

They were openly told by the UK Chancellor that housing would be 20% cheaper. (Possibly usual Osbo BS but hey.)

EU youth unemployment at ridiculous levels.

Passports needed for European travel, in or out.

Don't get it.

It completely baffles me.

They were openly told by the UK Chancellor that housing would be 20% cheaper. (Possibly usual Osbo BS but hey.)

EU youth unemployment at ridiculous levels.

Passports needed for European travel, in or out.

Don't get it.

I am making the same point in the Guardian,

They will be able to afford a house

Less politicians to pay for

probably more jobs

as to the problems of imports/exports Food is way way cheaper on the international markets so there is a win straight away

I am making the same point in the Guardian,

They will be able to afford a house

Less politicians to pay for

probably more jobs

as to the problems of imports/exports Food is way way cheaper on the international markets so there is a win straight away

There was a video that may have been posted on here of a select committee with a Prof. of economics saying cost of living would reduce by 8% if we leave due to paying world prices.

I work as a post doc in a university and yesterday the young uns went mental, absolutely mental. I could not believe the pure hate directed against people who voted to leave the EU ( I kept quiet). One chap seemed to think it will send is back to the dark ages.

The older staff were just as bad and the chancellor even sent an email out saying how we need to all such together despite the bad news. Personally I think they are just shitting it because without all the immigrants doing there degrees at the uni its probably the end of the road.

We got an e-mail from the MD saying the same thing. Really do not appreciate my employer talking politics one bit. Thought it was disgraceful in all honesty.

As for young people, too influenced by celebrity culture (uneducated) or too influenced by educational sector propaganda (educated).

I do wonder if there's some confusion between the EU and Europe as a continent?

We also had an email from the head honcho saying similar, and in the last days before the vote one of my colleagues actually had the temerity to email the whole department begging they vote Remain if they weren't sure. I was bleedin' livid!

I think its just cool to be liberal at the moment. Just look at all the celebrities promoting remain.

when you get older, you start thinking more about the practical issues or logistics of the EU and realise its a nice idea but run by crooks.

Edited by 999house

mate, i am a prof at a major uk university, we had an email from the VC essentially telling us to vote remain. i openly post on facebook and argue. its about conviction, but my politics leans to anarchism anyway so i give this as a reason, which oddly seems to be accepted. I play in a pub quiz whose members are largely working/lower middle class, i know what they think. I have come to the conclusion that i am the only academic in the whole university who talks to the great unwashed

edit - wrote c**p

Edited by debtlessmanc

George Orwell said something about the brainwashed proletariat being full of hate and resentment for anybody who threatened the status quo to the extent that they would kill in an almost blind rage if they were that way inclined. That's the power of lifelong indoctrination. The schools' agenda was, I have no doubt, changed substantially once Britain had committed to stay in the "common market" back in 1975. From that point on, they became indoctrination centres, so effective in their role, that to a whole generation, leaving the EU became unthinkable.

Good theory I can buy that, school is pure indoctrination and you only excel by repeating exactly what you are told. University not much different.

Yeah. Average house price 200k. 20% off is 40k.

Average graduate debt 40K

They basically just offered to cancel tuition fees for the youth, in the form of a reduction in house prices and the yoof rejected it.

WTF

Its worse than that, European students had access to student loans, what a joke, Latvians borrow to study in the UK and then go back to latvia. Dont need to repay until they earn +£21k a fortune in latvia!

I think the young feel a democracy should simply serve their purpose only- its an education to them that we live in a collective democracy.

I honestly think we need more education on this- in some ways, this typifies society at the moment, its totally narcissistic, selfie obsessed greedy *******, unwilling to listen

I think the young feel a democracy should simply serve their purpose only- its an education to them that we live in a collective democracy.

I honestly think we need more education on this- in some ways, this typifies society at the moment, its totally narcissistic, selfie obsessed greedy *******, unwilling to listen

Don't worry they will get a big dose of reality at some point.

As fun as it is watching old people hold forth about what's wrong with the yoof of today, this thread does smell a bit of stale farts.

I have met a few youngsters at work who did not swallow the blue pill over the EU but an awful lot have done. Quite why the love Big Brother and yearn to join the Anti-Sex League is beyond me. I can understand them revolting against the older generation but doing it on behalf of the Man is simply bemusing