House Price Crash Forum
wonderpup

Did The People Who Told Us To Trust The Experts Make A Mistake In Trusting The Experts?

Just wanted to point out the irony of the fact that the people who chose to base their campaign on the premise that one should always trust in experts seem to have taken their own advice re the possibility of a Brexit, assumed it could not happen based on expert opinion and so now seem utterly unprepared for the outcome. Clearly the consensus among those experts that a Brexit was not going to happen has turned out to be wrong.

Perhaps instead of whoreing themselves out to the Remain campaign and crying doom those experts- like Carney- would have been wiser to reamain above the fray and so not find themselves now in the ludicrous postion of having to talk down the very concerns about the economy they themselves whipped up.

Exactly, perfectly illustrates the disconnect between the general population at large and the closed insular circle of the establishment / metroproles and those sucking on their financial teat.

I'm an expert. (I mean that genuinely, I've moved on now, but at one point I was world leading in a narrow field of financial expertise)

We're all making it up as we go along. Never ever go along with somebody just because that say something is so. Always demand a rational evidence based argument.

Argument from authority is a classic logical fallacy.

Must admit I was very suprised when I woke up and saw the result. I've since said to myself that we must all learn the lession of Leicester City - if they can win the premier league from just scraping out of relegation the season before, then anything is possible. Anything.

It's hilarious that the entire establishment seem to have completely bought into the expert view that a Brexit was not going to happen.

There seems to have been this strange role reversal in which the savvy 'insiders' were completely bedazzled by expert opinions re the outcome of the vote while the sheep they were trying to manipulate took a far more sanguine view as to the validity of expert opinion on the economic consequnces of brexit and more or less ignored it.

There are implications here beyond Brexit itself- should financial armageddon fail to arrive as a consequnce of Brexit then any future govenrments in the EU will not be able to use the same trick because the moment they fire up their own versions of 'project fear' their populations will simply point to the UK and say it didn't happen here so it won't happen there.

This is actually quite dangerous since the impact of a country in the Eurozone leaving the EU would be far more likely to trigger a meltdown as EURO redenomination risk came back on the table.

So on one level the EU needs the UK to fail- but there is a problem with that because some very big EU banks are hugely exposed to the UK economy- so much as they want a UK crash they really can't afford one.

Must admit I was very suprised when I woke up and saw the result. I've since said to myself that we must all learn the lession of Leicester City - if they can win the premier league from just scraping out of relegation the season before, then anything is possible. Anything.

Newcastle to win Premiership and Europe in 2017/18?

Dont listen to people claiming to ve ecperts in economics!

Morons playing at being grown ups with made up maths.

Newcastle to win Premiership and Europe in 2017/18?

Yep definitely a sure bet. However, I was born 3 miles from St James' so may have a slight blind spot ?

Great question raised by this thread about the worry from the EU about other big leavers if we succeed. EU will want us to be okay to trade with them....but they will not want us to thrive otherwise more will follow.

Regardless of the Facebook rants, those who voted exit due to far right tendencies and those to remain for pure economic reasons (right or wrong).....a silent middle ground has made this decision.

My view was the decider was basic sovereignty - a 'common market for the greater good' has shifted to a law making government in a distant land. Some EU ministers even saying HOW we should leave.....ouch! An example of one country telling another what to do....just fuels the fire.

House prices....Neutral effect....they were way too high already and an adjustment is on the way whether we are in or out.