House Price Crash Forum

Where Was The Eu During The Vote?

HOLA441

The remain campaign lacked the biggest voice of all, where was the EU? Did they think that vote would be in the bag? This was the biggest vote in Europe with potentially major implications and there was not one TV debate where the head of the EU appeared to justify there own project. You would have thought they might have wanted to be part of the democratic process and fight for what they supposedly believe in.

Instead the EU was strangely silent and said nothing.

HOLA442

Maybe they saw the writing was on the wall? The EU has had one crisis after another.

There was no light at the end of the tunnel... one by one countries of the EU will adopt negative interest rates, and slide into a very long recession with no way out.

HOLA443

Thought the same myself..

A couple of nicely worded speeches from a few key figures there could have easily tipped the balance.

The fact none of them did only served to reinforce the perception that the EU is arrogant, aloof and doesn't give a sh*t about whether the UK stays or not.

No wonder people voted sod you then..

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Another crazy EU law ? That could be the next Daily Mail headline.

Dunno, I'm just guessing. It would certainly seem inappropriate for the EU president to suggest (for example) that the people of France should vote or not vote for a particular party in an election. Whether there's any formal prohibition, I have no idea.

HOLA448
HOLA449

There would be some irony if there was a law to prevent themselves to make a case to stay in the EU. Sometimes you just need to break your own rules and just do it. The risk to the rest of the EU was too great to ignore. Perhaps the president of the EU should resign immediately.

Rules are just guidance! (in some cases).

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

They are all awful with the doubtful case of Tusk. Merkel is a disaster, she screwed it up actually, i commented in the guardian on the stream of 20 something arabs braking down the borders last year that the this was it the end for us and the EU and got a colossal numbers of upvotes. I have no idea if camamoron told them to keep out and he would deliver. i suspect so. bugger them, they are readiy proving how awful they really are

HOLA4412

What really got me about the whole campaign was that not one person (well no one I heard anyway) actually said anything positive about staying in the EU. All Remain did was scare people about the problems we'd face if we left.

indeed it came across clearly that there was nothing clealry in favour and all the sides were lying through their teeth, something that english people are good at noticing

HOLA4413

What really got me about the whole campaign was that not one person (well no one I heard anyway) actually said anything positive about staying in the EU. All Remain did was scare people about the problems we'd face if we left.

Yep the actually debate was just 5h1t. No one on the remain made any real case just fear.

HOLA4414

Dunno, I'm just guessing. It would certainly seem inappropriate for the EU president to suggest (for example) that the people of France should vote or not vote for a particular party in an election. Whether there's any formal prohibition, I have no idea.

but not angela merkel, or the govenor of bank of japan, or US president?

HOLA4415
Guest TheBlueCat

They popped in from time to time to tell us that there wouldn't be any kind of new deal from what I recall and didn't Schäuble make some kind of threat too? I don't think there's anything legal or otherwise that would have stopped any of them campaigning properly other than the realization that it would likely make matters worse.

edit to add:

Here it is: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/10/no-single-market-access-for-uk-after-brexit-wolfgang-schauble-says

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I think they learned that technique from the Scottish independence referendum. That was very similar.

HOLA4418

They popped in from time to time to tell us that there wouldn't be any kind of new deal from what I recall and didn't Schäuble make some kind of threat too?

I remember Junker telling us deserters would be shot..

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

There was quite a lot of support across Europe just before the vote but I don't remember much of it being reported (not that I really watch TV).

This kind of imagery by the "in" campaign in the weeks leading up would have been quite powerful..

HOLA4421

The remain campaign lacked the biggest voice of all, where was the EU? Did they think that vote would be in the bag? This was the biggest vote in Europe with potentially major implications and there was not one TV debate where the head of the EU appeared to justify there own project. You would have thought they might have wanted to be part of the democratic process and fight for what they supposedly believe in.

Instead the EU was strangely silent and said nothing.

What on earth are you lot witterring on about? What do you mean were they? You must have juts lived through a completely different campaign to the one I've just seen.

All manner of EU big guns were constantly lecturing us on the need to stay in Europe - from Junckers all the way down to probably the tea lady at Brussels HQ about her job being dependent on it!

OK so the speeches and comments were clearly of the holier than thou we know what is best you had beeter vote Remain or you will go to hell type - but contributions they still were.

HOLA4422

All they needed to do was say freedom of movement for jobs but no access to benefits for 2 years and that would probably have swayed it for remain.

I get the feeling they want us out so nobody will question what they do and nobody will be veto-ing them when they want their own army/police force etc.

Once they have their army they might come for us!

HOLA4423

Sort of question that interests me is

In a fully federalised Europe, with a Continental Army and Police only answerable to Euro Ministers, would something like the Hillsborough enquiry be possible?

I suspect that the sort of venom aimed at Brexiters would be thrown at anybody demanding an enquiry.

HOLA4424

Sort of question that interests me is

In a fully federalised Europe, with a Continental Army and Police only answerable to Euro Ministers, would something like the Hillsborough enquiry be possible?

I suspect that the sort of venom aimed at Brexiters would be thrown at anybody demanding an enquiry.

They don't do all this public inquiry soul searching crap on the continent so the answer is No.

HOLA4425

Archived