House Price Crash Forum

Mvc Calls In Administrators

OnlyMe

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://www.creditman.biz/uk/members/news-v...chksrc=NNow4251

MVC calls in administrators throwing doubt on 700 jobs

Dec 23 2005

LONDON (Reuters) - DVD and CD retailer MVC, previously spun out of Woolworths PLC (WLW.L: Quote, Profile, Research), has filed for bankruptcy and hired Kroll as administrators, Kroll said on Wednesday.

Wow, dropping like flies they are. My local Unwins had a sign on the door saying 'As of today Unwins has ceased to trade, it's all over' and a face rather like this :( This followed weeks of them being practically empty shelved.

HOLA443

http://www.creditman.biz/uk/members/news-v...chksrc=NNow4251

MVC calls in administrators throwing doubt on 700 jobs

Dec 23 2005

LONDON (Reuters) - DVD and CD retailer MVC, previously spun out of Woolworths PLC (WLW.L: Quote, Profile, Research), has filed for bankruptcy and hired Kroll as administrators, Kroll said on Wednesday.

I used to frequent their Gloucester store. They had a good range of stuff, all quite reasonably priced, especially if you were a card holder. After a while though the stock became more homogenous, the same crap you could buy in Woolies or Smiths and wasn't particularly good value anymore either. Possibly that's got something to do with their decline?

HOLA444
HOLA445

I went into their Camberley store once and was confused by the member and non-member prices (even the member prices were not competitive).

Never understood MVC, a bit like WHSmith, what exactly is (was) the point of it?

Buckers

There isn't a store in Camberley anymore - my brother used to work there and it closed about 6 months ago.

HOLA446

too much in debt the punter stopped spending in ths shops..

seeing that on-line buys were easier and for the most cheaper he turned there..Even those without debt were heading toward the online shops..

but the high street missed this..

DIY stores and house improvment stores were struggling.. but then we have had the slowest house market in 30 years.. That was going to happen..

walking through a closing littlewoods looking toward the sale items... I pondered..

the money is still out there.. just its moved..

and look.. the economy was expecting it to be here.

HOLA447

walking through a closing littlewoods looking toward the sale items... I pondered..

the money is still out there.. just its moved..

and look.. the economy was expecting it to be here.

Primark will be taking over littlewoods stores?

It'll sell tons of stuff but its all low cost stuff.

HOLA448

The only time I bought from MVC was in their sales, because that was the only time they were cheaper than buying from the web: I doubt that can have done them much good. To be honest, I'm surprised that they've lasted this long with such competition from the Web.