House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

How likely is it that the bankers will swap the prospect of a future lighter regulation regime in the UK post Brexit for the virtual certainty of a more regulated situation within the EU? I can't see a mass migration of financial services into the EU- the bankers are crooks not idiots.

I'm really hoping the criminals see sense and move on to their next victims. Like a plague of locusts they are relentless, but maybe just maybe they have had their fill

• Replies 147.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

Unfortunately EFTA was nobbled by the EU and requires free movement of people and even acceptance of the acquis. You may as well not bother leaving the EU, frankly.

We should not join EFTA. We should tell the EU how it is and make a bilateral arrangement with it, or simply go elsewhere, and Germany can find someone else to buy their cars. Apparently we started negotiating a trade deal with Ghana on Friday. I know Ghana isn't much of a coup but, the world is big. Europe is small.

EFTA nations are all little minnows and had to sign up to all sorts of things. The UK is not a minnow.

Indeed, the Swiss approach looks like the way to go. We need to start making a plan.

Indeed, the Swiss approach looks like the way to go. We need to start making a plan.

Which is there is no representation in the eu mechanism, yet you follow all the directives generated in any area you are allowed to trade in. Schengen zone affiliate too, so not a great win all in all, far worse than previously.

Just keep posting, I'm sure political advisers skim read this website.

Monday morning trade calls to all the non euro members of the EU and clearly 'signalled' to Brussels. Maybe the negotiations can echo Thatcher's skill and get a rebate, say £650 million?

Greek Bailout

Because the UK contributes 5 per cent of the IMF annual budget, this would equate to a £650million bill for the taxpayer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1265275/This-outrage-British-taxpayers-Deal-rescue-Greece-soak-millions.html

Was watching a round-up of reactions from Europe on the news earlier today and I was a bit surprised by the venom from some of the EU heads.

I was expecting it from arch autocrats like Juncker but was a bit surprised to hear it from the Polish representative. Poland has benefitted massively from EU largesse (funded in no small part by the UK), not to mention transfer payments from polish workers here. It's not like they're suddenly going to get kicked out so why the vitriol?

Luckily Merkel seems to have stepped in to use slightly more conciliatory language and (at least on the surface of it) says she doesn't want to "punish" the UK

Which is there is no representation in the eu mechanism, yet you follow all the directives generated in any area you are allowed to trade in. Schengen zone affiliate too, so not a great win all in all, far worse than previously.

It's a bespoke approach, not one all-encompassing agreement with limited potential for variance. There are lots of opportunities now for forward-looking politicians to take the lead in producing constructive plans for individual trade agreements, participation in selected EU programmes, co-operation in tax transparency etc.

Edited by Will!

You do know we can still buy stuff from all over the globe under WTO rules right? I don't think Chinese socks are ever going to be £20.

WTO rules doesn't cover services, such as financial services...Norway adopts something like 9% of EU law through EEA...With that, you get single market access, but no EU political union, or the "faceless bureaucrats"

Edited by Dave Beans

Was watching a round-up of reactions from Europe on the news earlier today and I was a bit surprised by the venom from some of the EU heads.

I was expecting it from arch autocrats like Juncker but was a bit surprised to hear it from the Polish representative. Poland has benefitted massively from EU largesse (funded in no small part by the UK), not to mention transfer payments from polish workers here. It's not like they're suddenly going to get kicked out so why the vitriol?

Luckily Merkel seems to have stepped in to use slightly more conciliatory language and (at least on the surface of it) says she doesn't want to "punish" the UK

EU will play hard ball with the UK. Just recall the Greek standoff. Eurozone was losing a few hundreds of bln vs Greece losing its banks and probably tens of bln.

It is naive to think the UK has much leverage by the fact that it buys goods from the EU.

Will Brits stop buying cars from Europe if they are 10-20% more expensive?

Does Europe really need the UK financial services? I think EU dislike the fact that London making money on them and they would be happy to diminish its position.

What a mess. Boris and co pushed the country out of the EU not having any plan what they will do after. The UK may end up with a worse deal than before.

Sure. If they try that the rest of us can go the UDI route and they can stay as the UK in the EU. They can even keep the national debt and the pound and we'll have a new currency :)

What a great deal. After all the Scots have all the oil.

All the UK has to do is invoke article 50, and wait two years while watching the EU disintegrate. Another great deal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36630468

Better than ending up like Greece.

A vassal state destroyed by EU austerity measures, 50% youth unemployment, hundreds of thousands of muslim migrants landing per year.What a disaster.

Yes, very wise, but the uk isn't. Our economy is based primarily on putting together pre-manufactured cars and other items for the eu market, and also for servicing the same for its financial needs, I think the Greek and Greenland economy is different. In short, the U.K. Economy is not like the others you can mention.

Swiss also have the freedom of movement agreement with EU.

I don't think realistically we can get out of freedom of movement, it will stay even if we are not part of EU.

Swiss still has to implement raft of EU regulations in their banking and finance industry arguably their largest contribution to GDP.

I voted Remain because I believe being in the EU is the best option for us, now that we've gone the other way I really hope I'm proven wrong.

WTO rules doesn't cover services, such as financial services...Norway adopts something like 9% of EU law through EEA...With that, you get single market access, but no EU political union, or the "faceless bureaucrats"

Still need freedom of movement though. So for all this issues about immigration, it will be a back stab for the majority of the leave voters.

Swiss also have the freedom of movement agreement with EU.

I don't think realistically we can get out of freedom of movement, it will stay even if we are not part of EU.

Swiss still has to implement raft of EU regulations in their banking and finance industry arguably their largest contribution to GDP.

I voted Remain because I believe being in the EU is the best option for us, now that we've gone the other way I really hope I'm proven wrong.

Swiss are in Schengen, we never have been.