House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

3 hours ago, dugsbody said:

Why is my tax money being spent on people who wanted this to happen? 

Because the local Conservative MP has a small majority and wishes to get re-elected.

£23 million between 12,000 fishermen = £1916 per head.

Remind me, how much is a member of parliament paid?

• Replies 147.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

Says Femi, who went out of his way to rubbish the EEA option... You can therefore generally ignore what he says...

Why would you ignore someone whose view you didn't agree with?

8 hours ago, dugsbody said:

When people would push in front of me while waiting for trains or tubes I would call them out on it. They too got very angry and offended at me. 

I guess not liking liars makes me a toxic bigot and I understand since a lack of moral compass has been quite normalised in the last few years.

It weakens your case to call the opposition names. 

Just look at all the places you know that got independence. Did any of them end up with what they thought they were getting at the beginning? 

Uganda got idi amin for example. Zimbabwe got mugger bee.  Etc. 

And if you ask how it could have ended up so different, I'd say tit for tat from both sides develops its own malicious momentum. 

We're already seeing it happening. 

11 hours ago, IMHAL said:

As for EU community funded projects, the contributions made to the fund by each member state is publicly available to all to see. There is no obfucation.

2/3 of the UK project funding was subtracted from the future rebates.  The EU only funded a third of the price in the end.

1 hour ago, 24gray24 said:

It weakens your case to call the opposition names. 

Just look at all the places you know that got independence. Did any of them end up with what they thought they were getting at the beginning? 

Uganda got idi amin for example. Zimbabwe got mugger bee.  Etc. 

And if you ask how it could have ended up so different, I'd say tit for tat from both sides develops its own malicious momentum. 

We're already seeing it happening. 

I am struggling to understand what you want from me? I don't like lies and I don't like liars. If lying to achieve your objective is ok then what's the point to anything? I might as well call you a pedophile to win this argument.

You seem to object to my stance on this. Well, tough shit. I find it objectionable that you think the 40 years of lies were ok because the end justifies the means or something.

Seriously, just what is it I've said or done that justifies you calling me a "toxic bigot"?

44 minutes ago, kzb said:

So much for Singapore-on-Thames. 

25% corporation tax in the budget, means the Tories are going along with the EU?

Heavy public investment upfront which they want to recover later. Sound familiar?

And is this not a wholesale rejection of 40 years' free market economic dogma? 🙂

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/politics/budget-2021-rishi-sunak-or-john-mcdonnell-223252/

Budget 2021: Rishi Sunak or John McDonnell?

The big one is corporation tax, which Sunak intends to raise from 19 per cent to 25 per cent by the end of the 2024 parliament. Labour’s 2019 manifesto vowed to increase the headline rate to 26 per cent. 

Back in November 2019, Boris Johnson – vowing to slash corporation tax – derided Corbyn for wanting to hike the tax to “the highest levels in Europe”. He was wrong – corporation tax was as 34.4 per cent in France and 31.5 per cent in Portugal at the time.

Another fêted announcement was the creation of ‘Treasury North’, a new economic campus in the north of England. It will be located, conveniently, in Darlington – a ‘red wall’ seat won from Corbyn’s Labour in 2019 which Johnson and Sunak are eager to hold on to. 

Sunak announced Treasury North in his first Budget, last year, when McDonnell – still in situ – pointed out that he had proposed something very similar a year earlier. 

“We’re going to break up No 11. Part of No 11 is going to the north,” McDonnell told the Manchester Evening News in July 2019.

“If they’re going to plagiarise they could have the decency of properly attributing the idea to Labour,” McDonnell quipped last March

1 hour ago, kzb said:

So much for Singapore-on-Thames. 

25% corporation tax in the budget, means the Tories are going along with the EU?

Northern Ireland desperate to have the same rate as ROI at 12% will be interesting to see if they can afford to do it or maybe hasten the vote to join ROI from a business point of view imagine how many UK companies would register firms in NI if this happened to pay 12% instead of 25%.

1 hour ago, kzb said:

2/3 of the UK project funding was subtracted from the future rebates.  The EU only funded a third of the price in the end.

What are you implying?

Below is what the Uk/Maggie negotiated with the EU in terms of contributions and receipts.

'Introduced in 1985, the UK 'rebate', or 'correction', is the mechanism applied to lower the United Kingdom's national contribution1 to the EU budget. This reduction amounts to roughly 66% of the difference between the UK's contributions to, and receipts from, the EU budget.'

14 minutes ago, slawek said:

I wouldn't be so pessimistic. The UK is doing well catching up with Singapore on this list. I guess it has moved a few places up since 2017 already 

image.thumb.png.f3286e57262e0e06eaf7736ae1ada717.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_public_debt

And in 2021?

The US could be fourth now in PPP terms, I reckon.

Donnie put the national debt up by a third in just 4 years and now Sleepy Joe's dropped another couple of trillies on top of that.

Obviously the others have gone up too, but surely not as much?

30 minutes ago, slawek said:

This will drag for a long time. It could unravel NIP and the whole Brexit deal at the end. Enjoy it. 

So now we have to break international law and break our agreement to uphold the NIP so that we can get around the red tape we insisted on creating......how wierd is that?

1 minute ago, zugzwang said:

And in 2021?

Donnie put the national debt up by a third in just 4 years and now Sleepy Joe's dropped another couple of trillies on top of that.

True the US is in a worse situation but the UK is not far behind.  I am expecting the UK debt per capita almost double over the next decade. God knows what the US will do, they are completely messed up. I guess they will overtake Japan. 

4 minutes ago, slawek said:

True the US is in a worse situation but the UK is not far behind.  I am expecting the UK debt per capita almost double over the next decade. God knows what the US will do, they are completely messed up. I guess they will overtake Japan. 

All my American friends are deeply fearful of the future.

21 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

What are you implying?

Below is what the Uk/Maggie negotiated with the EU in terms of contributions and receipts.

'Introduced in 1985, the UK 'rebate', or 'correction', is the mechanism applied to lower the United Kingdom's national contribution1 to the EU budget. This reduction amounts to roughly 66% of the difference between the UK's contributions to, and receipts from, the EU budget.'

I wasn't "implying" it, I am stating a fact.   The net effect is what I described.

21 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

And in 2021?

The national debt paranoia

...The problem with the magic money tree is that creating money is so simple that we find it really hard to understand. We can have as much money as there are good promises to pay to be made. It’s as basic as that. The magic money tree really exists, and thrives on promises....

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2021/03/02/the-national-debt-paranoia/

Comments?

3 hours ago, coypondboy said:

Northern Ireland desperate to have the same rate as ROI at 12% will be interesting to see if they can afford to do it or maybe hasten the vote to join ROI from a business point of view imagine how many UK companies would register firms in NI if this happened to pay 12% instead of 25%.

International/GB firms won't want to relocate to NI while the UK government is playing games with the NIP. who knows what border problems could spring up in 6 months time. 

10 hours ago, IMHAL said:

So now we have to break international law and break our agreement to uphold the NIP so that we can get around the red tape we insisted on creating......how wierd is that?

This was expected of course. What could the UK do when their lies came crashing against reality? Boris promised a deal, he had to accept the NIP to get that over the line and now to keep the brexiters and public on side their only choice is to continually aggravate and blame the EU.

It is quite weird living in a country where I think we're the bad guys. 

@thehowler would be having a good time watching all this happening.

42 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

This was expected of course. What could the UK do when their lies came crashing against reality? Boris promised a deal, he had to accept the NIP to get that over the line and now to keep the brexiters and public on side their only choice is to continually aggravate and blame the EU.

It is quite weird living in a country where I think we're the bad guys. 

@thehowler would be having a good time watching all this happening.

It of course all stems form the lies told about what Brexit is and is not before, during and after the referendum. Had that not happened I doubt we would have left. Now we have to cover up the lies with more lies. There seems to be no way out of this web of deceit.

6 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

It of course all stems form the lies told about what Brexit is and is not before, during and after the referendum. Had that not happened I doubt we would have left. Now we have to cover up the lies with more lies. There seems to be no way out of this web of deceit.

New lies to the collection

The UK couldn't have had freeports in the EU

The UK couldn't have increased the limit on contactless payments to £100

28 minutes ago, slawek said:

New lies to the collection

The UK couldn't have had freeports in the EU

Of course, as there are already free ports in the EU. it's quite pathetic that they have to resort to this type of missinformation.

28 minutes ago, slawek said:

The UK couldn't have increased the limit on contactless payments to £100

these lies will come back to bite them in the bum....eventually.