House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

This is what they say about their data:

"

Definition of
Unemployment rate

The unemployed are people of working age who are without work, are available for work, and have taken specific steps to find work. The uniform application of this definition results in estimates of unemployment rates that are more internationally comparable than estimates based on national definitions of unemployment. This indicator is measured in numbers of unemployed people as a percentage of the labour force and it is seasonally adjusted. The labour force is defined as the total number of unemployed people plus those in employment. Data are based on labour force surveys (LFS).  For European Union countries where monthly LFS information is not available, the monthly unemployed figures are estimated by Eurostat".

So that supports what I said.  Unemployment rates as reported by OECD are comparable.  Not perfectly, but then neither is it a big fiddle specially designed to make Britain look better than EU countries.

• Replies 146k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

What's wrong with maximum regional independence in the UK,  as long as we all stick together on defence? 

Isn't variety the spice of life?

We've got a system that has to subsidise every scotsman and Northern irish by several thousand pounds a year.  Why not try something where everyone can make money, instead of all money being channelled into London,  and then London handing out subsidies?

Do anyone mind if Scotland has a different time zone for example ? I like local odd customs...

Going by that logic, I don't see why London should have to subsidise the rest of the UK or the rest of England for that matter. As for defense, let each country decide if it wants to cooperate or not. If Scotland wants to go it's own way it may prefer to cooperate with the EU....or it may choose to defend itself against England itself. That is how the world works when you are no longer bound together.

One thing for sure, Putin would be delighted to see the UK split up...and given the situation with Brexit, so would the EU I suspect. Nothing is better than divide an conquer in this unstable world.

The problem with all this thinking is that people forget where we came from to get to this point...they forget that alliances are forged with blood and alliances are made to prevent blood shed. That was one of the reasons for the EU in the first place.

Edited by IMHAL

Going by that logic, I don't see why London should have to subsidise the rest of the UK or the rest of England for that matter. As for defense, let each country decide if it wants to cooperate or not. If Scotland wants to go it's own way it may prefer to cooperate with the EU....or it may choose to defend itself against England itself. That is how the world works when you are no longer bound together.

One thing for sure, Putin would be delighted to see the UK split up...and given the situation with Brexit, so would the EU I suspect. Nothing is better than divide an conquer in this unstable world.

Very good. From now on in it's sniper tactics. We don't have to take any responsibility, none, not one fcking jot. Just snipe and shoot. Undermine. It's the name of the game. The clown, Mogg, Redwood. I'm poor (not afraid to admit it, in a northern seat). Let's see what they've got in store for poor plebs such as me. 

The problem with all this thinking is that people forget where we came from to get to this point...they forget that alliances are forged with blood and alliances are made to prevent blood shed. That was one of the reasons for the EU in the first place.

Well put.

The Brexit tribe's only knowledge of history seems to be The Blitz and Omaha Beach (which is ironic). The long human haul, as you say, is chucked into the bin.  Never mind, they'll still have Facebook and Instagram as their shining light, guiding them towards their deluded exceptionalism. Prisoners of their small, incurious minds.

Progress through cooperation be damned. What a sad little shrinking island they've made us.

Progress through cooperation be damned. What a sad little shrinking island they've made us.

jonb2, the vast majority of countries in the world are not in the EU.  Many of them are getting on just fine, often doing a lot better than us.

jonb2, the vast majority of countries in the world are not in the EU.  Many of them are getting on just fine, often doing a lot better than us.

Majority of European countries are in EU and are doing a lot better than UK 

now that yee lot are out, it be hard for Tories to blame and distract from the anti democratic holes in how uk is setup and how they continue to run the place into the ground 

yay one upside of brexit 

Edited by yelims

What's wrong with maximum regional independence in the UK,  as long as we all stick together on defence? 

Wouldn't that be covered by NATO? 

Why not try something where everyone can make money, instead of all money being channelled into London,  and then London handing out subsidies?

You sound like Nicola Sturgeon! 

Do anyone mind if Scotland has a different time zone for example ? I like local odd customs...

We rate 134th in terms of growth rate out of all countries in terms of GDP with 1.4%.

Check out the list of countries by real gdp growth in 2019 on wikipedia.....sorry, can't cut and past the link on this device.

Look at the list of countries above us........apart from perhaps 2 or 3 of these...they are all what I would call countries that we do not want to be like.....no way. And the 2 or 3 that are reasonable are only fairing a little better than us. In fact there are more countries in the EU doing better than us or these 'icons' of success that keep getting trotted out.

Are the ones above us 'doing just fine'?. Libya, Egypt, Niger, South Sudan, Ethiopia.... or even Malasia or India...is that what you mean? Or do you really mean America, Canada and Australia with barely 0.5% more growth than us and a totally different model and geography than us.

Lets face it, Brexit was about stopping EE plumbers from fixing our sinks and toilets...don't expect it to do anything else, including reducing overall immigration.

But....we are still hanging out for the promised suny uplands.....You won......now it's time to for you to deliver and for us to critise if you don't. 

Edited by IMHAL

This is what they say about their data:

"

Definition of
Unemployment rate

The unemployed are people of working age who are without work, are available for work, and have taken specific steps to find work. The uniform application of this definition results in estimates of unemployment rates that are more internationally comparable than estimates based on national definitions of unemployment. This indicator is measured in numbers of unemployed people as a percentage of the labour force and it is seasonally adjusted. The labour force is defined as the total number of unemployed people plus those in employment. Data are based on labour force surveys (LFS).  For European Union countries where monthly LFS information is not available, the monthly unemployed figures are estimated by Eurostat".

At the moment the OECD UK rate us 4.8%. Personally my preference is for the ILO figures (5.1%). 

For balance, France (7.9,9.0), Germany (4.5,4.4). 

In general the OECD has reported a typical unployment rate 2.5% higher [during COVID]. The UK has gone up 1.3%, ditto Germany so beaten that average, France 0.6% but with a higher base. As noted before, about the OECD average in The Netherlands. 

UK and Germany are doing much the same with relatively similar approaches on furlough. In France I presume that there were fewer jobs to be impacted as fewer jobs. France also seems to be suffering ongoing fallout from 2008-10 of a long term nature. 

What OECD figures miss is still underemployed and discouraged workers. There's a lot of debate on how to measure and report these, but it's probably best as one of the smorgasbord of stats. 

Edited by NobodyInParticular

We rate 134th in terms of growth rate out of all countries in terms of GDP with 1.4%.

Check out the list of countries by real gdp growth in 2019 on wikipedia.....sorry, can't cut and past the link on this device.

Look at the list of countries above it........apart from perhaps 2 or 3 of these...they are all what I would call countries that we do not want to be like.....no way. And the 2 or 3 that are reasonable are only fairing a little better than us. In fact there are more countries in the EU doing better than us that these 'icons' of success that keep getting trotted out.

Are the ones above us 'doing just fine'?. Libya, Egypt, Niger, South Sudan, Ethiopia.... or even Malasia or India...is that what you mean? Or do you really mean America, Canada and Australia with barley 0.5% more growth than us and a totally different model and geography than us.

Lets face it, Brexit was about stopping Polish plumbers from fixing our sinks and toilets...don't expect it to do anything else, including reducing overall immigration.

In the EU it's been the EE nations with greater than 4% growth (in 2019), but with lower GDP PPP per capita, so what is better? If you compare to similar nations (Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany) then long term growth rates are much the same. To be high growth (4% plus) would take something dramatic. The last time there was even 3% real growth in the UK outside the rebound from a recession was 1999 or something. 

In the EU it's been the EE nations with greater than 4% growth (in 2019), but with lower GDP PPP per capita, so what is better? If you compare to similar nations (Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany) then long term growth rates are much the same. To be high growth (4% plus) would take something dramatic. The last time there was even 3% real growth in the UK outside the rebound from a recession was 1999 or something. 

Better is not in the EU and better is doing something or aligning with anyone who is not the EU seems to be the thrust as far as I can gather. Regardless of the cost to our economy or of our way of life. There is never a bad word said about any trade deal with anyone outside of the EU, it is seen as a success...never any questions of what we may have given away in the negotiation.....nada.... it's all sunny uplands outside of the EU.

Daily Express.

Britain to rebuild after Brexit with thousands more police, nurses and teachers.....thank god for Brexit....those nasty EUlanders preventing us from recruiting more public servants....it's an abomination I tell you.. what a rag. 

Londoners' sense of disillusion and alienation will just fester and grow if one-by-one the Irish, Scots and Welsh re-join and are seen to prosper.

Londoners' sense of disillusion and alienation will just fester and grow if one-by-one the Irish, Scots and Welsh re-join and are seen to prosper.

Indeed, London, the engine of growth and as the most prosperous region of the Vote England movement, voted to remain..... 

Daily Express.

Britain to rebuild after Brexit with thousands more police, nurses and teachers.....thank god for Brexit....those nasty EUlanders preventing us from recruiting more public servants....it's an abomination I tell you.. what a rag. 

Just as well none of those need extensive training. 

Just as well none of those need extensive training. 

Training is for remainer whimps...budding Brexit brain surgeons don't need training to perform on true Brixiteers.....a good old slap on the back, a firm handshake and some churchilian words will get them through.....oh...and a microscope...

Sarcasm aside, the message is clear...now that we have lost the shackles of the EU, we can invest in our public services...anyone who buys this tosh needs brain surgery.....watch out Dover....you have competition!   

Edited by IMHAL

Good time to import drugs at the moment, leading to over supply???...this is due to no border checks on incoming vehicles...

However,  there is a dearth of legal migrants, even trafickers are having problems sourcing willing illegal immiigrants due to England....sorry I mean Britain, now recognised as being just an cold wet isolated and unwelcoming rock in the sea.

My advice is......SELL drugs..... BUY services.......treat your pride and joy to a good car wash, get your toilet fixed and definately get your grandma's a55 wiped whilst you still can....all of this whilst enjoying a good cheap spliff in the comfort of your more expensive home.

Financial disclaimer, sh1t goes up as well as down, so remember to wipe both ways.

Hope you had a good one!

Edited by IMHAL

What OECD figures miss is still underemployed and discouraged workers. There's a lot of debate on how to measure and report these, but it's probably best as one of the smorgasbord of stats. 

Well maybe, but all I was saying is the OECD figures are a valid comparison between countries.  The UK has greater percentage in work.  That is all.

Are the ones above us 'doing just fine'?. Libya, Egypt, Niger, South Sudan, Ethiopia.... or even Malasia or India...is that what you mean? Or do you really mean America, Canada and Australia with barely 0.5% more growth than us and a totally different model and geography than us.

Point number 1, I never even mentioned growth this time.

#2, I am saying that you do not need to be in the EU to be a successful country.  Take comfort from that; a lot of you are having an over-emotional and illogical reaction.  That is all I am saying in that post.