House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

Somebody help me here - is this guy for real ? I really don't get it.

Runs an eel business with £2m turnover per year exporting to the EU. Voted for Brexit. Didn't realise what would happen.

I assume we dont eat them in the UK? Are these not the same eels the cockney londoners eat with eal pie and mash and gravy?  No uk market?  A special petfood maybe. do a deal with Chum for Eel dog food? 

• Replies 145.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

2024 could be a route to more integration, or more divergence. My hunch, given ERG support despite it crossing ERG red lines is that the ERG assumes divergence. Starmer will probably seek to play down the issue until after an election and then promote more integration. Where the rational Tories lean, if there are any left, is another matter. 

Currently, since the deal is mild enough, and COVID a useful excuse, the Conservatives will win the next election. However, as 2017 and 2019 showed, the same vote share can result in different types of result. 

I still think Scotland will vote to leave, and a milder Brexit would make it easier for Scottish trade. Paradoxically, it would make a radical English Conservative government more likely, and then make that difficult again. But then I can't see how the government can morally refuse Scotland a referendum. 

If manufacturing gets decimated in the "red wall" areas, then Starmer will have a shoe-in.. Every fibre in me, hopes that my ERG thicko MP is chucked out...

Have you called it right thus far? Poorer, likely, but it's as much an exercise in learning how to diverge as it is to integrate.

You confuse what I wanted to happen with what I thought would happen.

I agree that learning to diverge is going to be a long learning process. The pendulum may swing too far one way on occasion, but common sense tells me that we will revert back into the orbit of the EU.    

Starmer doesn't have to back the deal. Deal will pass anyway.

He wants to back it.

Of course he will back it, with the caveats he has given. That will give him the ammo to fight for the pendulum to swing. Anyone taken in by the notion that Brexit and it's aftermath will not feature in any future election is kidding themselves. Of course it will not be painted that way, why pour salt on  wound when you can put a gert big plaster on it.

They're also predicting the UK population will grow by 5 million. Is that what people voted for?

The UK population was forecast to grow by that anyway.  The population forecast (and is it actually theirs ?), is 72.4 million by 2043.  

If you go to that population pyramid site their forecast for 2043 is 73,014,051, actually higher than 72.4 million.

https://www.populationpyramid.net/united-kingdom/2043/

You confuse what I wanted to happen with what I thought would happen.

I agree that learning to diverge is going to be a long learning process. The pendulum may swing too far one way on occasion, but common sense tells me that we will revert back into the orbit of the EU.    

Of course he will back it, with the caveats he has given. That will give him the ammo to fight for the pendulum to swing. Anyone taken in by the notion that Brexit and it's aftermath will not feature in any future election is kidding themselves. Of course it will not be painted that way, why pour salt on  wound when you can put a gert big plaster on it.

He should vote against it if he hates the deal. No chance of no deal anyway.

Nothing to gain playing the Tory game. And if it doesn't work out he made the right choice.

Have you called it right thus far? Poorer, likely, but it's as much an exercise in learning how to diverge as it is to integrate.

Starmer doesn't have to back the deal. Deal will pass anyway.

He wants to back it.

He needs to be seen to back it, so that every time a problem emerges he is free to accuse the Tories of incompetence. This will be their weak point in the next election and that to exploit it he needs to keep up a constant drip drip of such charges.

He knows that by backing the deal he will not be short of material. 

He should vote against it if he hates the deal. No chance of no deal anyway.

Nothing to gain playing the Tory game. And if it doesn't work out he made the right choice.

Should and will are two differnt things. He is in check at the moment as there is a chance that he could alter the result. About as much choice as the Tory government allowing a referendum that they did not support and knew that would be bad for Britain to go ahead. Is it irresponsible? Yes. Will they do it anyway? Yes.

Edited by IMHAL

He needs to be seen to back it, so that every time a problem emerges he is free to accuse the Tories of incompetence. This will be their weak point in the next election and that to exploit it he needs to keep up a constant drip drip of such charges.

It's a terrible deal. Starmer should say so up front and repeat that criticism with every setback.

As you say, he's not likely to be short of material.

That is pretty much it. Besides, he does not really have much of a choice as the current fork in the road is skinny deal or no-deal. He is in check...at the moment at least. It's a defensive strategy against an opposition with a weak forward strategy.

Edited by IMHAL

It's a terrible deal. Starmer should say so up front and repeat that criticism with every setback.

Only if he could guarantee that the deal would pass without his support. Otherwise he would be blamed for no-deal...then they would be blamed for all Brexit ills.

That is pretty much it. Besides, he does not really have much of a choice as the current fork in the road is skinny deal or no-deal. He is in check...at the moment at least. It's a defensive strategy against an opposition with a weak forward strategy.

Too much triangulation for my liking.

Who wanted, and campaigned for, Brexit? Who told us that our place in the Single Market would not be at risk, that trade with the rest of the EU would be free and seamless, that leaving would save us money, that there would be less bureaucracy, no roaming charges or customs queues; that we would hold all the cards in negotiations?

I assume we dont eat them in the UK? Are these not the same eels the cockney londoners eat with eal pie and mash and gravy?  No uk market?  A special petfood maybe. do a deal with Chum for Eel dog food? 

Yep, real Cockneys are pretty much extinct.

I've got a bit of Cockney in the family, so know a bit of rhyming slang, but most moved to the home counties years ago.

Edited by Mikhail Liebenstein

Yep, real Cockneys are pretty much extinct.

I've got a bit of Cockney in the family, so know a bit of rhyming slang, but most moved to the home counties years ago.

Wife is south African but we both have a love of food. I have promised her a trip one day to the east end to a proper old fashioned eel pie and mash shop to try it. I assume there most be some left, our a few famous ones? 

I think the same every week when i get fish and chips about the jars of pickled eggs. Who actually eats them? I honestly cant ever remember seeing someone buy one?

Too much triangulation for my liking.

Who wanted, and campaigned for, Brexit? Who told us that our place in the Single Market would not be at risk, that trade with the rest of the EU would be free and seamless, that leaving would save us money, that there would be less bureaucracy, no roaming charges or customs queues; that we would hold all the cards in negotiations?

I don't disagree with the sentiment, but many things have come to pass since then, and some things have not. We have yet to realise the full negative implications of Brexit. Becoming a scapegoat for an unsuccessfull Brexit is not the right move IMO. A full frontal right now will gift the tories a scapegoat. As CoVi says, embrace the idea, become an insider, the enemy from within in is a far more dangerous opponent to the project. 

Electric cars will be less expensive than ICE with a year or three.

Eventually, I expect, electric cars will be the norm.

Right now, I could buy a diesel car that I'd accept as meeting (my) minimum requirements for less than £3k.

I don't expect to be able to buy an electric car that meets this objective in 3 years for £3k - as, right now, I couldn't buy one with a budget of £3m.

Therein lies the problem... and I don't think 3 years gives anywhere near enough time to solve it.

If Britian goes only-electric for new cars in 10 years... then I expect this country to start to look a lot more like Cuba from an automotive perspective.

The poor wont own, they will hail a Tesla M3 / MY robotaxi when they want a journey and pay a per mile fee. Tesla will retain 25% of the fee for running the "network" and the owner will get 75% of the fee to pay the Telsa lease and running costs, insurance, etc.

If death was offered as an alternative, it would start to look every appealing.  Perhaps this means one needs to become an oligarch if one's life is to remain worth keeping in your vision for the future?

Sorry, no.  I reject your utopia and I must trust that the majority will reject it too.

As I promised myself in 1992, the keys to a car (perhaps a terrible old one) that's "mine" will only be pried from my cold dead hands.  I can accept electiric motors over engines, but I can't ever accept that I must give up on the option to have a mobile private space.  It is the difference between civilization and meaningless organic detritus.

Edited by A.steve

Eventually, I expect, electric cars will be the norm.

Right now, I could buy a diesel car that I'd accept as meeting (my) minimum requirements for less than £3k.

I don't expect to be able to buy an electric car that meets this objective in 3 years for £3k - as, right now, I couldn't buy one with a budget of £3m.

Therein lies the problem... and I don't think 3 years gives anywhere near enough time to solve it.

If Britian goes only-electric for new cars in 10 years... then I expect this country to start to look a lot more like Cuba from an automotive perspective.

One thing for sure. there will be no ICE cars on public roads in 2051.  They will be illegal apart from private land / racetracks. With the last new ones being made on 2030/35, around 2045 the Gov will announce from 2051 burning fossil fuels for citizens transport on public roads will be outlawed.  There will be some for Police / Emergency services / Military use.  You might be a able to get a permit for "classics" made before 2000 for a big fee a limited annual miles. 

But every day transport? nope. Banned. BEV or more expensive Hydrogen fuel cell or walk / cycle.  All Petrol stations will be EV rapid chargers and hydrogen pumps. Petrol and Diesel will be hard to get. 

When i was a kid in 70's our small market town had 3-4 "parafinn" pumps dotted around town, you could put in 50p and get a fixed measure 1/2 galloon / gallon of pink paraffin for home heaters. 

All gone now. Haven't seen one in years. I have no idea where you could buy paraffin locally these days.  A Chemist maybe? ICE fuel will be the same in 2050. 

Don't fight it, you wont stop it. Transport will go Zero Emission. 

One thing for sure. there will be no ICE cars on public roads in 2051.  They will be illegal apart from private land / racetracks. With the last new ones being made on 2030/35, around 2045 the Gov will announce from 2051 burning fossil fuels for citizens transport on public roads will be outlawed.  There will be some for Police / Emergency services / Military use.  You might be a able to get a permit for "classics" made before 2000 for a big fee a limited annual miles. 

But every day transport? nope. Banned. BEV or more expensive Hydrogen fuel cell or walk / cycle.  All Petrol stations will be EV rapid chargers and hydrogen pumps. Petrol and Diesel will be hard to get. 

When i was a kid in 70's our small market town had 3-4 "parafinn" pumps dotted around town, you could put in 50p and get a fixed measure 1/2 galloon / gallon of pink paraffin for home heaters. 

All gone now. Haven't seen one in years. I have no idea where you could buy paraffin locally these days.  A Chemist maybe? ICE fuel will be the same in 2050. 

Don't fight it, you wont stop it. Transport will go Zero Emission. 

Is this new transport going to be produced using zero emissions?