House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442

Sorry, they are very much Tories. 

Ah, not using the net figure I see, which would bring the UK figure to £170, which included full SM and CU access and voting rights. Any reason why you chose the gross figure? The net German per capita payment is £212.

How much do you reckon it is going to be, i think £150 per person without voting rights, a win for Macron

emmanuel-macron-brexit-1376568.webp?r=16 

HOLA443

Sorry, they are very much Tories. 

Ah, not using the net figure I see, which would bring the UK figure to £170, which included full SM and CU access and voting rights. Any reason why you chose the gross figure? The net German per capita payment is £212.

EEA states don't pay anything to the EU directly.  Any monies are paid as grants to member states.

EEA and Norway Grants - Wikipedia

HOLA444

As was clear from the start. Well, not to David Davis, apparently. 

Let me rephrase that, we did not get outmanoeuvred, they had so much better cards, no way we stood a chance.

HOLA445
HOLA446

More info

https://fullfact.org/europe/norway-eu-payments/

How much does Norway, which sits outside the European Union, pay for its relationship with the bloc as a member of the European Economic Area? And is it a guide to what the UK might have to stump up if we wanted the same deal?

At the moment:

How do you compare Norway (a year in payments linked to its relationship with the EU) and UK (a year to be a full member)?

It's bit like found that both apples and oranges are similar in size, weight and shape.

HOLA447

Uk did not only got outmanoeuvred it got fleeced (I am looking from Ireland at situation)

No services which is going to be massive for Ireland which will now scoop up more MNCs wanting access to single market in an English speaking country 

Irish farmers continue to sell tariff free

Irish fishermen continue catch fish, other “sovereign” countries like Canada or Japan did not sign over fishing rights for a trade deal

We no longer have to listen to maggots like Farage

Finally the brexit has done so much reputational damage to UK with potential for more, that it is no longer viewed as a stable country to do business in, making surrounding states all the more attractive for external investment 

Excellent deal for EU and Ireland

Edited by yelims

HOLA448

How do you compare Norway (a year in payments linked to its relationship with the EU) and UK (a year to be a full member)?

It's bit like found that both apples and oranges are similar in size, weight and shape.

I have no comparator so just made up a number lower than Norway as we have a much higher population and know we have to accept what the Biggest Economic bloc in the world says to us. 

HOLA449

Uk did not only got outmanoeuvred it got fleeced (I am looking from Ireland at situation)

No services which is going to be massive for Ireland which will now scoop up more MNCs wanting access to single market in an English speaking country 

Irish fishermen continue catch fish, other “sovereign” countries like Canada or Japan did not sign over fishing rights for a trade deal

Finally the brexit has done so much reputational damage to UK with potential for more, that it is no longer viewed as a stable country to do business in, making surrounding states all the more attractive for external investment 

Next you will saying the European elite is more intelligent than our elite

0_eee.jpg

Why is the woman in the background laughing and why is the man so spooked

HOLA4410

Don't have to.....only have to apply to get an EU passport then will continue to have full freedom and many more choices, both here, plus many other places...... citizens of the world.....;)

I  agree a full eu passport does give freedom.  hopefully only applicable to those with the correct genealogy and exclude all others.

HOLA4411

I  agree a full eu passport does give freedom.  hopefully only applicable to those with the correct genealogy and exclude all others.

Where have you been?

HOLA4412

Galileo is a weird one.

It's a very long way from achieving its stated objectives.

It's pork-barrel politics.

But, space is big business and it's one of the UK's relative success stories in recent years so maybe we'd be better off paying to play.

*IF* space is still with nation states.

Looking less n less.

EU space programme  is looking like a less efficient Concorde.

HOLA4413

Has the re-join campaign started yet? the think give it 10 years and we don’t need to worry about the boomers anymore. 

shame we won’t get such a good deal as we had previously, but the boost to GBP should be pretty tasty after 10 years of stagnation 

(I voted Remain)

It's not that simple.

I'm being serious. You may find the under EUers voting to join the UK.

Outside of the Nordics n Germany, the European experience for the under 50s is dire.

The EU have made the future much worse.

HOLA4414

*IF* space is still with nation states.

Looking less n less.

EU space programme  is looking like a less efficient Concorde.

Do you think they will use UK companies less and less

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

think we will probably rejoin within 20 years. 

the young have a much more global mind-set having grown up with the internet, less ‘little Britain’ mindset of the oldies. 

it’s just a matter of time now. 

The UK and EU young look West or other places in the Anglosphere.

Seriously.

HOLA4417

There is zilch cross border trade in services in Europe.

Less so, post 2008, where all the banks are moving back to their nation state.

HOLA4418

Do you think they will use UK companies less and less

UK has the major space company - Surrey  Satellies Tech, owned by Airbus. I dont think theres anything close in Europe.

I dont think nation states - or collection of states - is the way forward in space tech.

Look at the  X prize.

HOLA4419

There is zilch cross border trade in services in Europe.

Less so, post 2008, where all the banks are moving back to their nation state.

Tell that to revolut, coin base, transferwise and dozen of other fintech startups who had to open offices outside uk because of brexit 

there is billions of trade in services which hilariously enough was something thatcher wanted

the current company (us tech firm) I work for just laid of hundreds in uk offices closing locations, while massive hiring splurge in Ireland, some of those uk banks are biggest customers 

HOLA4420

I was a grassroots supporter, out on the doorsteps, helping to get Mrs Thatcher elected in 1979. 

Believe me, these are not Tories!

They look like the sort of Tories I spent a long time campaigning against. Sure, they aren't 'wets' like Major, or one nation ones like Heseltine, but I encountered many just like this current lot over the last 30 years, unfortunately. 

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

UK has the major space company - Surrey  Satellies Tech, owned by Airbus. I dont think theres anything close in Europe.

The major firms include:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_Defence_and_Space (Surrey Satellites is a part). 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/OHB_SE (German). 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales_Alenia_Space (French). 

There is now no wholly or majority UK owned player, which is sad given the UK's expertise. At one point I very nearly became one of the people working directly on them and did work on downstream processing of satellite images and software development and associated research. 

HOLA4425