House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441

Of course. The 10% cannot dictate terms to the 80%.

Have you forgotten how the french betrayed Algeria? They haven't.   

If the Scots go, good luck to them. We wish them well. But I don't think they will. 

For the benefit of those who are not au fait with the French and Algeria, please explain your second sentence. 

HOLA442

No, that's obviously not the solution

You and I might think that, but those in power obviously have other ideas.  What you have seen over the last 20 or 30 years is a war against the motorist, precisely to try and force people out of their cars.  You would think it should be carrot and stick, but it's 100% stick with no carrots.  When they introduced the congestion charge in London, they put the tube fares UP not down, because they knew they had you.

As for the rest of your post, you must know that people have been having these utopian dreams about transport for decades?  With the amount of debt you would think we'd be in a science-fiction world of being taken everywhere by computer controlled 700mph vacuum tube pods.  The reality is, outside London, it just gets worse and worse all the time.  They actually spend money intentionally to make it worse (see first para).

HOLA443
HOLA444

How can we get rid of him?

Boris Johnson plots to redraw electoral map to help him destroy Labour at next election | Politics | News | Express.co.uk

Boris Johnson plots to redraw electoral map to help him destroy Labour at next election

Shock as Tories try to ensure each constituency has the same number of people.

Some actually have 2x as many people as others. That can't be right.

HOLA445
HOLA446

So we can agree that our malgovernance was the core issue leading to Brexit. It's a shame that large swathes of the UK have to suffer Brexit for the incompetencies of our own government(s).

I hope that the 52% that voted leave are going to be happy with the skinny deal (or no-deal) and that pro-leave MP's can hold the line that it was in the best interests of the country. The pro-leave MP's have a responsibility to do what is right for the country.... now it is they that are responsible and accountable (using your previous logic :) ).

And if there is further misgovernment my Leavers (ref: COVID mess, failure to plan for Brexit) what do we do?

Wishing economic hardship on to the population of the UK is not very nice dugs. 

Indeed, but some leavers also say this is acceptable.

HOLA447

You and I might think that, but those in power obviously have other ideas.  What you have seen over the last 20 or 30 years is a war against the motorist, precisely to try and force people out of their cars.  You would think it should be carrot and stick, but it's 100% stick with no carrots.  When they introduced the congestion charge in London, they put the tube fares UP not down, because they knew they had you.

ICE cars are charged, not zero emissions, I thought? Sounds like as much a war on pollution (which kills people) as anything else.

HOLA448

You can have a pool of 100,000 with 50% voting one way and 50% another, on average and divide it such that you have 1 red and 1 blue constituency in perpetuity, or anything from 2 blue to 2 red depending on the season. So the issue is not the number of people, it's whether the lines are drawn fairly. In the USA there are some bafflingly shaped constituencies.

HOLA449

More hope than confidence. But, yes, I still believe it would be the best outcome for UK and EU citizens and a positive first step in the new political/trading relationship.

But it's a horrible jolt for the EU, having a major world economy competitor and finance centre suddenly materialize just off your western borders, with territorial rights to much of your best fishing grounds.

Understandably, they want it yoked in. But Brexit was sold to the public as breaking the yoke.

Can they design something that's yoke half-on, half-off? Maybe less yoke, more flashing light collar!

Ah, you got the Big Book of British Exceptionalism as an early Xmas present, I see! Foreword by Boris?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Jesus Wept another Trump trying to fiddle the election.

HOLA4412

The Isle of Wight has the biggest electorate at about 108,000 (in 2018), while Na h-Eileanan an Iar in Scotland has the smallest number at just over 21,000 (in 2017).

Seriously unfair.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

But will only be changed if the incumbent government stands to gain from it.

Well the recommendations are made by the boundary commission not the government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_commissions_(United_Kingdom)

You could reasonably argue that it's not that the government gains from it, it's that it has lost by not implementing it.

Of course changing may well not fit in with the modern behaviour of people arguing for what gives them what they want rather than what actually might be the most fair, or most principled. To me it seems fair that each consistuency should have roughly the same number of people. Implementing that might be problematic, but I don't see the problem with striving for it.

HOLA4415

Lone benefit of Brexit will be schadenfreude, experts confirm:

THE only benefit Britain will realise from Brexit is that 16 million people can enjoy saying ‘Told you so,’ experts have confirmed. 

As it becomes clear to all but the most fanatical Brexiters that leaving the EU will be detrimental to the UK’s economy, democracy and continued existence, all those who saw it coming can at least look forward to being proved right.

Remain voter Lucy Parry said: “The one upside to all this is watching my Uncle Dave slowly realise that his beloved Brexit is going to be a $hitshow.

“It’s hilarious because he thought he was kicking out the Polish shop on the corner of his road, but he works for Nissan so ultimately he’s f**ked himself over by being a racist.

“And when I say ‘funny’, I of course mean horribly tragic and depressing. But, you know, I did tell him.”

Economist Julian Cook said: “Taking pleasure in other people’s troubles is a low way to enjoy yourself, but if we’ve learned anything from 2020 it’s that you take your laughs where you can.

“The word schadenfreude is itself, of course, a German import. We’ll probably have to start paying a tariff for using it soon.”

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/lone-benefit-of-brexit-will-be-schadenfreude-experts-confirm-20201202203119

HOLA4416

Well the recommendations are made by the boundary commission not the government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_commissions_(United_Kingdom)

You could reasonably argue that it's not that the government gains from it, it's that it has lost by not implementing it.

Of course changing may well not fit in with the modern behaviour of people arguing for what gives them what they want rather than what actually might be the most fair, or most principled. To me it seems fair that each consistuency should have roughly the same number of people. Implementing that might be problematic, but I don't see the problem with striving for it.

"The use of the December 2015 electoral register has been criticised because it came at the end of the move from household voter registration to individual voter registration, which had reduced the size of the electorate."

"The Deputy Chair therefore leads the Commission in the conduct of the review. The Deputy Chair must be a serving Judge of the High Court, and is selected and appointed by the Lord Chancellor. "

"Assistant Commissioners may be appointed (by the Secretary of State, but at the request of the Commission)"

HOLA4417

Lone benefit of Brexit will be schadenfreude, experts confirm:

THE only benefit Britain will realise from Brexit is that 16 million people can enjoy saying ‘Told you so,’ experts have confirmed. 

As it becomes clear to all but the most fanatical Brexiters that leaving the EU will be detrimental to the UK’s economy, democracy and continued existence, all those who saw it coming can at least look forward to being proved right.

Remain voter Lucy Parry said: “The one upside to all this is watching my Uncle Dave slowly realise that his beloved Brexit is going to be a $hitshow.

“It’s hilarious because he thought he was kicking out the Polish shop on the corner of his road, but he works for Nissan so ultimately he’s f**ked himself over by being a racist.

“And when I say ‘funny’, I of course mean horribly tragic and depressing. But, you know, I did tell him.”

Economist Julian Cook said: “Taking pleasure in other people’s troubles is a low way to enjoy yourself, but if we’ve learned anything from 2020 it’s that you take your laughs where you can.

“The word schadenfreude is itself, of course, a German import. We’ll probably have to start paying a tariff for using it soon.”

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/lone-benefit-of-brexit-will-be-schadenfreude-experts-confirm-20201202203119

I don't think we'll be allowed to call it schadenfreude in 2021 in the new global Britain with its laissez-faire, I mean 'let do' policies. Letting people use foreign words isn't the raison d'etre, I mean reason for existence of Brexit.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Enjoy!

I disagree with her objectives but at least she comes across as clued up and smart. She actually seems to understand what is going on whereas the host is just a moron. 

Oh and read the comments under the video as an exhibit of what I have been saying about the Tories king makers. These people rabidly want "no deal" and threaten to destroy the Conservative party if they don't get it.

HOLA4421

I disagree with her objectives but at least she comes across as clued up and smart. She actually seems to understand what is going on whereas the host is just a moron. 

Oh and read the comments under the video as an exhibit of what I have been saying about the Tories king makers. These people rabidly want "no deal" and threaten to destroy the Conservative party if they don't get it.

One phrase especially, that never passed either of their lips...

"Non-tariff barriers"...

What is Max Fac?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

State aid cuts both ways - EU Exceptionalism at work for you...stick that in your Noel stocking.

If true - Gruniad journos only - EU want to be able to pump their billions into pet projects (EV batteries anyone?) with no UK comeback.

But what of the Level Playing Field? So we have to comply, but they get an exemption.

For ref only...

It is believed that a major bone of contention for the UK side is Brussels’ intention to exempt all EU funding from the future state aid rules, a contentious move raised by one of Frost’s deputy negotiators some weeks ago but which has yet to be resolved.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/04/france-could-veto-bad-brexit-deal-macron-ally-warns