House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

I don't think you really "mine" lithium, at least in the conventional sense. Its more of a pumping operation from what I understand. Its more akin to drilling for oil.

There are two ways to obtain the lithium.  One way is to drill deep and recover the lithium from the water used in hydrothermal (hot rocks)  energy project.  Pilot drilling is completed near Redruth, but recovery of the lithium from the water hasn't been industrialised, and would probably need an ion-exchange process similar to a water softener.

There are also lithium rich micas that could be used, but the extraction process is foul and involves some unpleasant chemicals, and will create a lot of contaminated water.  But still simple compared with BNFL's activities at Sellafield.

Which ever route is chosen will be expensive in terms of capital and energy.

If the UK is serious about net-zero in 2050, and I doubt that it is, then EV's will have to be part of the solution.  After all the IM bill breaks the law, so I don't hold out much hope for the Climate Change bill.

• Replies 135.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• jonb2

• thehowler

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

Its a core component obviously but it isnt the bulk of the cost. Consider that a model 3 costs £42500 and a replacement battery £5500....

Nah, thats per module, not pack, and there is 4 in a Models 3, so $16-28,000 for a $35-50,000 car. 

And thats dope smoking optimist Mr Musks' estimate.

Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). Replacing modules (not pack) will only cost $5k to $7k.

— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) April 13, 2019

“Getting out of the EU can be quick and easy – the UK holds most of the cards.” - John Redwood July 17 2016

“The free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.” - Liam Fox 20 July 2017

“I believe that we can get a free trade and customs agreement concluded before March 2019.” - David Davis 18 January 2017

“We are going to get a deal which is of huge value and possibly of greater value.” - Boris Johnson 16 November 2016

“Within minutes of a vote for Brexit, CEOs would be knocking down Chancellor Merkel’s door demanding access to the British market.” - David Davis 4 February 2016

“The UK must prepared for no trade deal with the EU.” - Boris Johnson 16 October 2020

So the French have derailed a deal because they want access to our fishing waters.

Under no deal what kind of access do they get? Does it revert to them not having any access or there is some other agreement not EU related that means anyway they keep the current access they have?

So the French have derailed a deal because they want access to our fishing waters.

Under no deal what kind of access do they get? Does it revert to them not having any access or there is some other agreement not EU related that means anyway they keep the current access they have?

God knows. But all i know is WE HAVE WON. WE HAVE FISH!!! (probably) 

Those are the optics for some. I don't know if the EU leaders wanted it seen that way but the summit looks quite a lot like them giving Johnson the brush off.

Most of the best grounds would come back to the UK - in the bit of the catch we still own. Jersey are saying they won't let the UK tell them what to do. And we don't have enough boats - fishing boats or navy boats - to work the waters. And nowhere to sell the fishies. But never mind all that.

My understanding was that the UK were happy to cut a deal to let the French continue in their usual grounds but they wanted more control over quotas etc and an annual review. Some changes to acknowledge that we're no longer part of the CFP.

Edited by thehowler

Fishing has a different kind of status quo. If the EU disappeared tomorrow, the coastal states would still need some kind of agreement which would be based on the current patterns that have evolved over centuries.

We both know the EU isn't going to disappear tomorrow and we both know there's only one status quo.

And I don't mean Rossi!

Those are the optics for some. I don't know if the EU leaders wanted it seen that way but the summit looks quite a lot like them giving Johnson the brush off.

Most of the best grounds would come back to the UK - in the bit of the catch we still own. Jersey are saying they won't let the UK tell them what to do. And we don't have enough boats - fishing boats or navy boats - to work the waters. And nowhere to sell them. But never mind all that.

My understanding was that the UK were happy to cut a deal to let the French continue in their usual grounds but they wanted more control over quotas etc and an annual review. Some changes to acknowledge that we're no longer part of the CFP.

Also dont eat in the UK most of the fish species we were talking about... 

I await the "veal" issue to raise its ugly head. We can win and carry on using the meat as dog food, that will show them!

Also dont eat in the UK most of the fish species we were talking about... 

I await the "veal" issue to raise its ugly head. We can win and carry on using the meat as dog food, that will show them!

It's not just species. You don't see the prime, thick, Cod fillets that fill the shelves in French supermarkets in the UK. They get the best because we either don't care or won't pay for it.