House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

16 hours ago, AAA said:

Using government bandwidth to save billions of pounds of taxpayers money is a very efficient way to use the resourses.

It would be, if it were the truth.

The truth is those billions of pounds go into paying for services we benefit from and will have to recreate ourselves and pay for, post brexit. Only now we're not splitting the costs with 27 other nations and we're out of the worlds largest single market.

Brexit is a net loss financially, pretty much everyone apart from brexit politicians agrees with this. So there is no concept of "saving" money by leaving the EU, that argument was lost for your side a long time ago.

Stick to messages about sovereignty, EU laws and immigration. 

• Replies 134.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• jonb2

• pig

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, winkie said:

They remember the empire, but things have changed.?

They are quite messed up people. Desperately trying to cling to the past as a refuge for their identity. 

23 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

It would be, if it were the truth.

The truth is those billions of pounds go into paying for services we benefit from and will have to recreate ourselves and pay for, post brexit. Only now we're not splitting the costs with 27 other nations and we're out of the worlds largest single market.

Brexit is a net loss financially, pretty much everyone apart from brexit politicians agrees with this. So there is no concept of "saving" money by leaving the EU, that argument was lost for your side a long time ago.

Stick to messages about sovereignty, EU laws and immigration. 

I think the cost of Brexit has been at least 10% of GDP. COVID alone was worth 10%, but the Brexit multiplier has made it twice as bad.

In summary, if it is sh1t , Brexit will make it doubly sh1t.

15 hours ago, AAA said:

Do you mean that Brexit is undeliverable? Because even if we extend our withdrawal EU is very unlikely to change its stance. We will be stuck in position when we bear the full cost of being inside of the organization but have very limited say on how it is run. And eventually we will have to decide either to leave on WTO terms or cancel Brexit.

I think rejoining and taking the Euro is the only way forward now. Brexit has already knocked over 10% off GDP in Sterling terms, and far more is measured in USD.

Also who are we going to trade with? China? 

Brexit has failed and is making the lives of many of it previous supporters worse than they were before.

14 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Maybe leavers enjoyed leaving the EU so much they want to do it again?

I think that the moment of leaving is kind of the transcendental experience, a bit like a drugs high... or other things... there is the planning, the anticipation, the build up and it happens! Ideally it would never stop. Extension would actually be a great help in this, because even though you have actually left, you are nonetheless still continuously in the process of leaving. But then, you pretend not to want the extension because then the delicious pleasure of continuing to leave comes all the more intensely...

14 minutes ago, erat_forte said:

I think that the moment of leaving is kind of the transcendental experience, a bit like a drugs high... or other things... there is the planning, the anticipation, the build up and it happens! Ideally it would never stop. Extension would actually be a great help in this, because even though you have actually left, you are nonetheless still continuously in the process of leaving. But then, you pretend not to want the extension because then the delicious pleasure of continuing to leave comes all the more intensely...

...and then you light up a cigarette, roll over, fart whilst considering what on earth went through your mind and how on earth you ended up with that ugly person next to you.

2 hours ago, slawek said:

They are quite messed up people. Desperately trying to cling to the past as a refuge for their identity. 

Baden-Powell was on Hitler's "Black Book" list of subersives who would be chucked in a concentration camp after a successful Nazi invasion, despite this the Guardian accused him of being a "nazi sympathiser"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/11/scouts-founder-robert-baden-powell-statue-poole-storage-petition

what nonsense. The people interviewed on this clip state quite clearly that the statue is a tribute the scout movement, which is an international organisation with eg over 1 million scouts in africa (outside of south africa). It is a modern progressive and positive movement.  I only experienced it through my sons attendance (being encouraged by a Pakistani-British friend whose son also attended), but I was really impressed.

In other interviews the people are quoted more precisely as viewing the foundation of the scout movement as a good thing that outweighs the fact that BP may have held views in other areas that do not stand up to modern standards (even though they were pretty much universal at the time).

you and your extremist left wing ilk are really trawling the bottom of thre UK's tank desperate to find evidence that there are nazi's and outright racists out therer hiding in the shadows pulling the strings. I was married into a family of SWP types, a scary bunch, but it was the obsession with the far right i always found the strangest. They really seemed to think that the BNP etc were the opposition, in the UK the far right really is 3 men and a dog. You are going to have to do better if you want to prove that Brexit is Adolf back from the grave.

Edited by debtlessmanc
4 hours ago, rollover said:

Don't worry, the food will be cheaper in post-Brexit Britain.

Not according to the Director General off the WTO on the Andrew Marr show this morning. He said agriculture would be one of the sectors hardest hit by a WTO exit and prices would rise. 

1 hour ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

I think rejoining and taking the Euro is the only way forward now. Brexit has already knocked over 10% off GDP in Sterling terms, and far more is measured in USD.

Brexit has failed and is making the lives of many of it previous supporters worse than they were before.

What kind of deal would be offered. last time Heath was desperate and the deal poor as the EEC was quite short of cash. Now it is desperately short of cash. Moreover, if the UK economy really does tank big time, then we would be a net recipient wanting to join!

1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Not according to the Director General off the WTO on the Andrew Marr show this morning. He said agriculture would be one of the sectors hardest hit by a WTO exit and prices would rise. 

I doubt it.

I can see beef farmers being hit as the EU tariffs have given the a false sense of competitiveness.

Sheep less so as the big efficient producers - US n South American - dont do much in way of sheep.

Alot of what thd UK eats salads n veg already come from outside the EU.

EU tariffs tend to be about 'protecting' southern Europe's farmers.

Theres also quite big shifts in UK eating at the mo, which has been in place ling before Brefix.

The wet milk market is falling, being replaced by more nut n grain milks.

Meat consumption is falling, with people eating more expensive meat less often.

The only affect on UK food prices will come as the pound goes up n down.

I'd expect food prices go remain the same or fall a bit.

3 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Baden-Powell was on Hitler's "Black Book" list of subersives who would be chucked in a concentration camp after a successful Nazi invasion, despite this the Guardian accused him of being a "nazi sympathiser"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/11/scouts-founder-robert-baden-powell-statue-poole-storage-petition

what nonsense. The people interviewed on this clip state quite clearly that the statue is a tribute the scout movement, which is an international organisation with eg over 1 million scouts in africa (outside of south africa). It is a modern progressive and positive movement.  I only experienced it through my sons attendance (being encouraged by a Pakistani-British friend whose son also attended), but I was really impressed.

In other interviews the people are quoted more precisely as viewing the foundation of the scout movement as a good thing that outweighs the fact that BP may have held views in other areas that do not stand up to modern standards (even though they were pretty much universal at the time).

you and your extremist left wing ilk are really trawling the bottom of thre UK's tank desperate to find evidence that there are nazi's and outright racists out therer hiding in the shadows pulling the strings. I was married into a family of SWP types, a scary bunch, but it was the obsession with the far right i always found the strangest. They really seemed to think that the BNP etc were the opposition, in the UK the far right really is 3 men and a dog. You are going to have to do better if you want to prove that Brexit is Adolf back from the grave.

Oh dear, the SWP are a scary bunch but the Far Right are merely 3 men and a dog ? :)

What was saddening about this weekend is the way war veterans were dragged into the malignant mess of Britain First, EDL, Football Lads and so on. 

Similar problem I guess with Baden Powell. Jimmy Saville could have founded the Scout Movement with terrible motives but it should be possible to separate out the movement - which for the most part has given kids fantastic opportunities and invaluable personal development -  from any issues with the founder.

Its quite disingenuous at best to use this kind of conflation. Perhaps a bit of Goebbels has come back from the grave ;)

6 hours ago, Mikhail Liebenstein said:

An FTA with the US will scupper this..

The German bill to support the EU basket case is up by 42%. That's the true cost of brexit. 

The Germans must be regretting their lot now. 

Judging from what is going on in Dijon then France can't keep their own house in order let alone the European project. 

I'm glad we're out. Let's pull up the drawbridge and watch it fall apart from a safe distance. 

1 hour ago, dragging boot straps said:

The German bill to support the EU basket case is up by 42%. That's the true cost of brexit. 

Judging from what is going on in Dijon then France can't keep their own house in order let alone the European project. 

I'm glad we're out. Let's pull up the drawbridge and watch it fall apart from a safe distance. 

Thats very 2016

The German's are bright enough to realise that the "bill" is peanuts compared to the benefits of membership. If they had any doubts about this, a quick look at how the UK fared would remove them.

Sadly were weren't bright enough to realise that the bill was peanuts. Amazingly some Leavers grasp of mathematics is so poor they still cannot see it.     

Edited by Confusion of VIs

Just to put it in perspective, it costs the UK as much as its former entire EU contribution to keep hold of Northern Ireland. The EU budget is a tiny percentage of GDP.

5 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

Just to put it in perspective, it costs the UK as much as its former entire EU contribution to keep hold of Northern Ireland. The EU budget is a tiny percentage of GDP.

Yes, the cost is tiny and actually far cheaper than the bus with the lie painted on the side, which actually will turn out to be the most expensive bus in history.

6 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

You are right that Germany with its 350bn euro trade surplus with the rest if the Eu it is a no-brainer but the economics of this for other countries are so complicated that it is pretty much impossible to know the benefit without doing the experiment, The point is that so much govt expenditure within its own country is retaken in tax, up to 90% ultimately apparently . To take an example if the 10bn or so uk contribution was spent on uk doctors 50% comes straight back in tax/Ni, then 20% of everything they buy comes back as VAT etc. If that 10bn is spent on employees in other EU states it is gone for good. If we take 90% as a true figure then that 10bn sent to the EU is worth 90bn spent inside the uk.i am not advocating this an accurate calculation just that equating the eu contribution witb internal govt expenditure is not trivial.

Edited by debtlessmanc
2 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

You are right that Germany with its 350bn euro trade surplus with the rest if the Eu it is a no-brainer but the economics of this for other countries are so complicated that it is pretty much impossible to know the benefit without doing the experiment, The point is that so much govt expenditure within its own country is retaken in tax, up to 90% ultimately apparently . To take an example if the 10bn or so uk contribution was spent on uk doctors 50% comes straight back in tax/Ni, then 20% of everything they buy comes back as VAT etc. If that 10bn is spent on employees in other EU states it is gone for good. If we take 90% as a true figure then that 10bn sent to the EU is worth 90bn spent inside the uk.i am not advocating this an accurate calculation just that equating the eu contribution witb internal govt expenditure is not trivial.

You’re complaining we don’t get 9bn back in taxes ?

1 hour ago, pig said:

You’re complaining we don’t get 9bn back in taxes ?

X bn time 0.9 each time it is spent = 10+9+8.1+7.3+6.6... = 90Bn or to put  it another way to pay upper rate tax payers 90Bn cost the exchequer 10Bn ultimately...

to pay the good folk of Poland 10Bn cost the UK -10Bn

Edited by debtlessmanc
46 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

X bn time 0.9 each time it is spent = 10+9+8.1+7.3+6.6... = 90Bn or to put  it another way to pay upper rate tax payers 90Bn cost the exchequer 10Bn ultimately...

to pay the good folk of Poland 10Bn cost the UK -10Bn

Ok - you’re multiplying the amount we send the EU by a thousand percent and claiming that’s what we send them  ?