House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

The city must be in a state of shock today......bet they did not expect this outcome.

Worse (matter of perspective), I suspect they bet heavily on remain and got financially hammered on the Brexit, hence the massive swings as they scrambled to get out of their positions.

Since we are in a ZIRP environment they probably looked at this as a great way to get a return on capital and it's all gone horribly wrong for them.

• Replies 145.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

I actually voted remain as I thought there was still a chance to reform the EU in the direction we want.

But now the country has voted the other way I'll stand behind it. I think it could provide the big reset we've all been waiting for. But it's going to be painful for many.

Don't be too surprised if the possibility of 'serious EU reform' emerges before the UK leaves and we are asked for another referendum.

Don't be too surprised if the possibility of 'serious EU reform' emerges before the UK leaves and we are asked for another referendum.

Well if it addresses control over immigration/free movement, improving democracy, not cosying up to lobbyists/corporations, and a serious adoption of subsidiarity I reckon a lot of people might go for it.

Well if it addresses control over immigration/free movement, improving democracy, not cosying up to lobbyists/corporations, and a serious adoption of subsidiarity I reckon a lot of people might go for it.

That would be a toughy. The EU would also need to obliterate all federal ambitions and withdraw its tentacles to become palatable; if it had already done that I probably would've voted Remain, hell, it probably wouldn't have come down to a referendum. To be honest doing all of that is probably its only chance of survival anyway, so it would be a win.

On the other hand I can't stand the idea of not standing by the result and the consequences.

That is my take on it.....have more 'control' to change things on the way out than when securely tied in. ;)

There is a clearly defined exit protocol so unless he is advocating throwing everything out the window (not exactly a great sign of EU trustworthiness) to get the UK out post-haste, we are almost certainly looking at over 2 years before the UK is out. And IMO almost certainly longer.

I think rather than an exit, Scheuble and his cronies will offer a package.

They dont really have a choice.

I would hope they can offer something on restriction of movement, which would satisfy swathes of the electorate.

If not then we will exit.

No, we voted for Sovereignty. There is nothing they can offer in this regard. Nobody has the right to offer Britain her sovereignty anyway. We will take it.

It's a fundamental issue. And you can't be part of the EU if you want Sovereignty. It simply doesn't work.

Edited by Errol

The other outlier.

If Donald Trump Wins, the UK will and the US will probably be a strong force in the world. This is a shake up of the order. A uncertain time lies ahead, but Brexit might be the best decision that was made.

So, bank regulation after Brexit...

This from Norton Rose Fulbright, who seem to know what they're talking about:

"The regulation of banks in the UK rests on three pillars – the capital requirements contained in Capital Requirements Directive IV1 and the Capital Requirements Regulation2 (together CRD IV) and the stabilisation, recovery and resolution provisions contained in the Banking Act 2009 and the Bank Resolution and Recovery Directive3 (BRRD). The BRRD and CRD IV are the consequence of EU legislation. In the event of Brexit, Parliament would need to consider how much of the legislation to retain. The CRD IV largely implements the requirements of Basel III, which the UK would still be committed to. However, there are provisions within the CRD IV (such as the limits on the payment of bankers’ bonuses) which are not Basel III related and could be abolished or amended. Parliament would also have an opportunity to reconsider the burden of the regulatory compliance matrices imposed on banks by the CRD IV and BRRD. The larger retail banks are subject to the ring fencing of the Banking Reform Act4, but as that is an entirely UK regime it is unlikely to be impacted were a Brexit to occur."

I hope this doesn't play out like the last couple of minutes of The Big Short... where they show what happened post crash, bankers jailed, large scale reforms of the financial system, no more reckless financial policies... Nah just kidding, nobody got punished, the bankers got rewarded, the debt orgy continued and just got even bigger.

I think rather than an exit, Scheuble and his cronies will offer a package.

They dont really have a choice.

I would hope they can offer something on restriction of movement, which would satisfy swathes of the electorate.

If not then we will exit.

There has been talk of "associated status" whatever that means...When we exit, we have three main choices. WTO...EFTA or EEA. The first involves tariffs, and the latter two involves free movement of people..

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/what-brexit-would-look-like-for-britain/

‘Iceland is much better off outside the EU,’ says prime minister Sigmundur Davíð Gunnlaugsson. ‘Unemployment is minimal, purchasing power has never been higher, and we have control over our own legal framework, currency and natural resources.’
Edited by Dave Beans
Old people; first they took all the houses, then they took all the money, and now they've taken our future...

Currently youth unemployment in the EU looks like this:

Greece; 48.9%

Spain; 45.3%

Italy: 39.1%

Portugal 30%

Belgium 25.1%

France: 24.6%

http://www.statista.com/statistics/266228/youth-unemployment-rate-in-eu-countries/

Do you think the young people in these places share you view that the EU is their future? The reality is that their future's are being sacrificed to save a doomed vanity project called the Euro. Aquaint yourself with the reality of what the EU is and whose interests it serves and you will discover that the EU is a club run by rich old people for the benefit of rich old people. It will happily burn the future of it's own children to save it's own scrawny neck.

No, we voted for Sovereignty. There is nothing they can offer in this regard. Nobody has the right to offer Britain her sovereignty anyway. We will take it.

It's a fundamental issue. And you can't be part of the EU if you want Sovereignty. It simply doesn't work.

The only sovereignty that counts is personal sovereignty. Power retained by the individual. Brexit does nothing to return power to the people. Conversely, it will be used by Boris et al to legitimise further disempowerment of individuals and families. No Brexiters are proposing reducing tax burdens or rolling back legislation.

Petrol goes up 15% immediately.

Uk breaks up within decade.

Political chaos starts immediately. Who leads? What happens?

Economic chaos takes longer.

And I bet we don't even Brexit. Scared and terrified by what they see, the public vote in anti Brexit parties at the GE.

Yes, this is also my theory.

If you noticed this morning, certain leave figures (including one from Berkshire) were suggesting it might take a year before we invoke Article 50, given that it then takes 2 years to leave and guessing we might slow things due to ongoing negotiations, I reckon the public may have elected a Labour Majority Government by this time time Brexit is allowed to occur.

Also, I am taking the 2nd referendum thing very seriously. MPs will go for it given half a chance, and a large number of voters seem to be suffering buyers remorse, including people:

1) Not thinking their Brexit vote would count

2) Not realising the principality in which they reside would lose EU cash bungs and now expecting England to make it up.

3) Not realising that it would stop white Europeans coming to the UK, but do nothing in relation to the subcontinent or Africa migrants, which is not in line with their own racist agenda.

4) Not realising that France will now just refugees over the border, thus recreating Sangatte in Tunbridge Wells (I nearly wrote Dover, but Tunbridge Wells would be more Ironic).

5) Not realising their 13 year old might not get a summer job in France when they are 17