House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
7 minutes ago, winkie said:

Congratulations Mr Johnson....lets see what you will do to get it done, can only hope that now there are more Tory MPs up North they will do something to improve the lives of the people they are now standing up for..... something good has to come from it.....?

Last time this happened the northern MP were ignored and they lost their seats at the next election 

HOLA442
4 minutes ago, ebull said:

I voted Labour yesterday as a tactical vote in Islington North to ensure LibDems were less likely to get in. Under PR I would have voted Tory or Brexit this time.

Interesting. I voted Lib Dems in Hove, where Labour were likely to get a very big majority again. I expected Labour would win so I thought my vote might be more useful for the Lib Dems: I don't want them to become a minority party which contests a smaller number of seats, I don't want them to lose their deposit and as they weren't likely to win many seats. But when I told people about my reasons they told me not to risk it, so there may well be a lot more who would vote Lib Dem if they were the pre-eminent non-Tory party.

16 minutes ago, ebull said:

Libdems were campaigning locally with the text "not a safe seat" because they won the euros.

What's the problem? People can make up their own mind about whether this is credible. 

18 minutes ago, ebull said:

Window posters here for libdems outnumber those for labour and it just shows the extent to which that shower are undemocratic and loud way beyond their actual support.

It's not undemocratic to display window posters. I only see Labour posters in Hove. I've seen dozens of them. There ought to be at least several Conservative and at least one for Lib Dems, Green and Brexit if they were proportional. But there is no law requiring people to display posters in proportion to number of voters. This has nothing to do with democracy. It's a free choice.

HOLA443
HOLA444
29 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Oh well, they've made it quite clear, that's what the people want, and the city loves it too.

Shares up led by house builders. 

BB, it was made clear what a simple majority wanted at the referendum when asked a simple non-loaded question

"Do you want to leave".

Democracy won today - It didn't just bite the arses of those who want civil unrest and chaos, it burnt them to a cinder.

Under normal circumstances, I would not want a result like this - but faced with concerted effort from so many to derail democracy, I am glad of it. 

There will be now be a smear campaign against Boris - but you know what? it doesn't matter - even if he resigns, (he probably will), the Tory majority is so strong now that for the next 5 years a firm government is inevitable - and I applaud that to get the UK going forward to where ever it ends up - and that includes binding NS (Scotland) to a reality decision of life outside the UK and the EU    

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
3 minutes ago, Locke said:

At the MPs, not the electorate.

Which MPs are accused of being anti-Semitic? It's party activists who are accused of it in the main. People who accuse Corbyn of anti-Semitism are mostly saying he is condoning it. If there are a few Labour MPs who have been accused of specific instances of anti-Semitism themselves, there are probably hundreds of activists for each one who are chanting things at demonstrations or liking/posting memes, sending messages to Jewish Labour MPs etc. which are considered anti-Semitic.

I'm pretty sure the big issue is that the Labour Party hasn't kicked enough of these activists out of their party.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
6 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

It's party activists who are accused of it in the main.

Well that's still not the electorate, right? Honestly, I don't follow this nonsense; I don't think lefties have the spine to be antisemitic.

Contrast with widespread leftwing sharing of such memes.

Image result for poll station school tory shit on your way out

I guess there's a lot of poo to clean up in a lot of schools.

At least teachers can do something useful.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
9 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

29 minutes ago, ebull said:

Libdems were campaigning locally with the text "not a safe seat" because they won the euros.

What's the problem? People can make up their own mind about whether this is credible. 

29 minutes ago, ebull said:

Window posters here for libdems outnumber those for labour and it just shows the extent to which that shower are undemocratic and loud way beyond their actual support.

It's not undemocratic to display window posters. I only see Labour posters in Hove. I've seen dozens of them. There ought to be at least several Conservative and at least one for Lib Dems, Green and Brexit if they were proportional. But there is no law requiring people to display posters in proportion to number of voters. This has nothing to do with democracy. It's a free choice.

No problem with the libdems saying not a safe seat and they convinced me it WAS credible and I needed to vote against them. It was a remarkable claim though in a seat where Corbyn as MP took 73% in GE2017. Last night down to 64%.

The comment about proportion of window posters was as a measure/evidence of how loud one group were in proportion to actual votes won. Vote share: 15% yesterday.

The undemocratic part that's related to loud is claiming that all those people who just quietly vote in a way that reflects their view are thick-racist-don't know what they were doing etc etc. Sound familiar at all?

I really hope that the result will mean moving on from some of the nonsense, in particular from the likes of Swinson and Miller.

Vote shares from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islington_North_(UK_Parliament_constituency)

HOLA4413

Nobody gives a f**k about fishing rights. It was all about immigration. The entire enchilada.

Immigration is the reason house prices and rents are stratospherically expensive. Immigration is the reason the NHS faces an existential crisis every winter. Immigration is the reason our transport infrastructure is creaky and over-worked. Immigration is the reason Fartrage broke through with his dog whistle racism. Immigration is the reason the referendum was lost. Immigration is the reason the GE was forfeit.

"Too many wogs, balts and elbonians, John."

That's what Labour Party members told the then Home Secretary John Reid back in 2006 when he went on a tour of the blighted North in pursuit of 'a grown-up conversation about immigration.'

"They're not like us, John. They're tekkin' over."

But John Reid, Alistair Campbell and Tony Blair thought they knew better, and so Labour's undeclared stealth policy of open-door immigration remained unchanged.

HOLA4414
2 minutes ago, Locke said:

Well that's still not the electorate, right? Honestly, I don't follow this nonsense;

The electorate is everyone who can vote. So even MPs are part of the electorate, but I meant the electorate excluding MPs. I just meant I expect there is some truth to allegations of people chanting anti-Semitic stuff at rallies, but not MPs.

HOLA4415
5 hours ago, Kosmin said:

What about Kensington? Cons get a little over 100 more votes than Labour. Lib Dems get 9,000. Were 200 of those Lib Dems remainers who wanted to stop Brexit? 

We may never know.

All I’m saying is - a lot of left wing people seem to treat Lib Dem Labour and Green voters as One homogeneous pool when they aren’t.

Im quite sure most of the Lib Dem voters wanted to stop Brexit, but is nationalising half the industry, abolishing private schools and returning to the 1970s a price worth paying? They may well feel “no” ie this tactical voting idea just fails if your order of preference is Lib Dem, then green, Tory, then Labour....

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
2 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

The English working classes are going to regret this vote imo.  How could they have voted in Boris for 5 years?

Tragic.

Wel, Londoners voted in BJ at one point - Id imagine a lot of people still in 2012.

Maybe useful to have some sort of SM advert repository to understand what planet they’re on.

HOLA4420
11 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Immigration is the reason house prices and rents are stratospherically expensive. Immigration is the reason the NHS faces an existential crisis every winter. Immigration is the reason our transport infrastructure is creaky and over-worked. Immigration is the reason Fartrage broke through with his dog whistle racism. Immigration is the reason the referendum was lost. Immigration is the reason the GE was forfeit.

Look, I am often accused of being a hardcore right winger, but I think this focus on immigration is a misdirection. 

House prices are high, because of central bank manipulation of currency and violently enforced low interest rates.

Infrastructure is decaying, because it has not been maintained. It has not been maintained, because it is run by the State, and it is easier to buy votes by bribing the poor and elderly with social welfare. 

The problems we have today are the result of people's faith in Statism.

HOLA4421
11 minutes ago, scottbeard said:

We may never know.

All I’m saying is - a lot of left wing people seem to treat Lib Dem Labour and Green voters as One homogeneous pool when they aren’t.

Im quite sure most of the Lib Dem voters wanted to stop Brexit, but is nationalising half the industry, abolishing private schools and returning to the 1970s a price worth paying? They may well feel “no” ie this tactical voting idea just fails if your order of preference is Lib Dem, then green, Tory, then Labour....

I have always suspected that tactical voting doesn't work as it cuts both ways and motivates the opposition.

I cannot see any reason to change that view following these results.

HOLA4422
14 minutes ago, winkie said:

Let's get breakfast done......festive shopping trip to france anyone??

Lol visit your eu friends while you can.

Had a nice breakfast in prague this morning shame we are leaving really, I'm glad I have my eu passport these czech girls are too hot to leave behind.

HOLA4423
16 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Nobody gives a f**k about fishing rights. It was all about immigration. The entire enchilada.

"Too many wogs, balts and elbonians, John."

That's what Labour Party members told the then Home Secretary John Reid back in 2006 when he went on a tour of the blighted North in pursuit of 'a grown-up conversation about immigration.'

"They're not like us, John. They're tekkin' over."

But John Reid, Alistair Campbell and Tony Blair thought they knew better, and so Labour's undeclared stealth policy of open-door immigration remained unchanged.

I actually think the Tories were satisfied to flaunt their Islamophobia. BJ slagged off by former leaders,  endorsed by Tommy Robinson...

HOLA4424
2 minutes ago, Locke said:

Look, I am often accused of being a hardcore right winger, but I think this focus on immigration is a misdirection. 

House prices are high, because of central bank manipulation of currency and violently enforced low interest rates.

The main cause, yes. Piling in stupid numbers of people hasn't helped.

Infrastructure is decaying, because it has not been maintained. It has not been maintained, because it is run by the State, and it is easier to buy votes by bribing the poor and elderly with social welfare. 

But there won't be money for maintenance. It'll go on making a further mess of the place by building some obnoxious new stuff, which in turn won't be maintained. But not because it's run by the state, private industry is also pretty obsessed with the high--profile shiny new keeping up with the Joneses mentality (when it can afford it).

HOLA4425