House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

7 minutes ago, Simhadri said:

Sedgefield CON gain.

New Labour MUST rise.

I don't think it has much to do with the style of Labour. The kind of areas being lost in Durham - Darlington, Bishop Auckland - and in Wales have been in almost permanent decline since before the miner's strike.  In fact, a study commissioned in the 1920s detailed the Durham as the least diversified economy in the British Ises. People call themselves, 'the forgotten'. New Labour was as London-centric as any.  

• Replies 145.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

I'll answer that though. You forget that a lot of Scotland voted leave, 

Did any of the Leave parties come close to winning seats in Scotland? No, but that doesn't mean there are no leavers in Scotland. I think it was something like 40% leave in Scotland and we can see how that translates into very few seats in Scotland.

12 minutes ago, bear.getting.old said:

The Lib dems performance so far tonight shows that their cancel brexit policy is not what the public desire. 

Similarly a lot of remainers (even revokers) in England and Wales has translated into very few Lib Dem seats. A lot of people do want to revoke, but some wanted more left-wing policy so voted Labour. 

This election tells us that overall Labour aren't popular. I haven't attempted to analyse the overall results, but from following individual seats it seems the combination of declining Labour votes and the Brexit Party votes has been of a greater magnitude than Conservative increases. 

Caroline Lucas said in her speech (at the time there were about 500 seats declared) that the parties backing a people's vote exceeded 50% of the vote. I'm not sure if that's true and I don't know if it will be true when all are counted, but if it is, it casts further doubt on what people want.

On 11/12/2019 at 19:04, GrizzlyDave said:

Con 350 seats

Lib 65 seats

SNP 50 seats

Green 3 seats

SF 5 seats

PC 5 seats

DUP 10 seats

Labour 150 seats

Indi the rest

If you deduct about 50 from Lib Dems and gave to Labour, you'd have been very close. Well done!

4 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Kids in private schools work twice as hard as state schools.

Nah. My nephew went to private school. £25k a year boarding. He failed every test he was every given and works in retail now. 

TBH I was private. Didn’t work that hard at all. Still got As. 

Blanket statements don’t work.

But I’m sure your kids will learn to oil very nicely.

Jo Swinson, gone ?

Anna Soubry, gone ?

Boris, here to stay ??

What a lovely set of Christmas presents. No more talk of Confirmatory Referendums. No more Gina Cnting Miller. No more delays, unless it's to get an even better deal! I reckon we can show some strength in those negotiations now, thank God.

9 hours ago, Social Justice League said:

Looking forward to 10pm.

Get ready, because this is looking hilariously bad for Boris and Dillon.

Looks like Boris is starting to "shit his pants".

Word is that the youth vote has seen the 'largest increase in years'.

Labour has seen the biggest increase in vote from the under 45's.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHA

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh it tastes so good.

17 minutes ago, reddog said:

So we can close this thread now and say Brexit is locked in?

The Brexit Bill is expected to go rapidly through the Houses of Parliament, but then it's a race to set up trade deals. It's not clear how that will go or what will happen if they aren't ready in time.

20 minutes ago, reddog said:

I think the decisive vote we have got is the best thing for the country.

Economic indicators (sterling and FTSE) suggest this is true, but more broadly we'll have to wait and see.

21 minutes ago, reddog said:

Obviously if the result were closer there would be further moaning about it not being what the people want.

The result wasn't close between two parties, but it was probably close between leave and remain. I realise there were probably some Conservative remain voters and some Leavers who voted Labour etc., but Cons 45%, Lab 33%, LD 12% + PC/SNP/Green - Brexit was pretty closely matched. Considering the polls suggest a consistent support for remain now, this shouldn't be surprising.

1 minute ago, Ghostly said:

What happened guys? I had it on the good authority of this thread that all of the Brexiteers had changed their mind. That they wanted to abandon democracy.

Counting down to the sale of the NHS. May be waiting a while.

Looks like Labour will have to find a way to split off the lunatic left / commie fringe of the party to have any relevance next time.

Don't forget the 2nd ref, followed by an immediate revoke and remain ?

8 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

The Brexit Bill is expected to go rapidly through the Houses of Parliament, but then it's a race to set up trade deals. It's not clear how that will go or what will happen if they aren't ready in time.

Not too bothered about trade deals, I would almost prefer WTO rules.  Then negotiate on an ad-hoc basis.

My point is we will definitely leave the EU and the only way back is to rejoin as a new member.

Edited by reddog
2 minutes ago, Ghostly said:

Looks like Labour will have to find a way to split off the lunatic left / commie fringe of the party to have any relevance next time.

Corbyn has already said he won't lead them in the next election and prominent followers have lost (e.g. Pidcock), so it's likely the next leader will be quite different.

I'm not sure it's obvious how the Labour heartlands which went Tory this time will vote in 5-10 years. It may be tough for Labour to win back, but it may be hard for Tories to hold. Will they be forever grateful that Tories "got Brexit done", or will they be expecting it to be transformative for them locally? 

3 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

I'm not sure it's obvious how the Labour heartlands which went Tory this time will vote in 5-10 years. It may be tough for Labour to win back, but it may be hard for Tories to hold. Will they be forever grateful that Tories "got Brexit done", or will they be expecting it to be transformative for them locally? 

Very much depends on how the national economy goes, and how much Tory domestic policies include them.

lol at the English voting for 5 years of Boris and his p1sh deal.  They'll have to live with that now.

Astonishing tbh how bad Labour and the Lib Dems did in the end.  Not what I was hearing, but then the English working class all voted for Boris and the Tories......lol.  You couldn't make it up

It's a shocking result and imo, the English will live to regret it.

10 minutes ago, reddog said:

Not too bothered about trade deals, I would almost prefer WTO rules.  Then negotiate on an ad-hoc basis.

It's not obvious that Boorish shares your opinion on this. There are no Brexit Party MPs and probably not enough Brexiters to ensure he takes a hardline. 

15 minutes ago, reddog said:

My point is we will definitely leave the EU and the only way back is to rejoin as a new member.

I don't think this is definite. The plan is to go into the transition period. Boorish insisted that he plans to leave with his deal, but he could "crash out" with no deal, or he could seek an extension.

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/could-the-uk-and-eu-fudge-a-transition-extension-july-2020-deadline-brexit-no-deal

1 minute ago, markyh said:

We have now had the 2nd Peoples vote , and the people have voted yet again for Brexit. 

Even if we don't Brexit soon, it is at least wonderful news that we will no longer have to listen to Remainers 'explaining' to the 'ignorant and stupid' majority that black is indeed white if you glance at it briefly sideways and squint really hard.
Black is black.

1 minute ago, Social Justice League said:

lol at the English voting for 5 years of Boris and his p1sh deal.  They'll have to live with that now.

I'm a bit surprised that Johnson apparently is so opposed to Scottish Independence. They are going to have about 360/650 seats. Take out Scotland and it'll be approximately 360/590 without Scotland or 360/570 without NI. If Brexit outcomes are unpopular in 5-10 years, he could easily lose Britain, but I doubt he'll lose England. 

Is he confident that he can pretend he wants Scotland to remain part of the UK and lose to Sturgeon's demand for independence?

4 minutes ago, hotblack42 said:

Even if we don't Brexit soon, it is at least wonderful news that we will no longer have to listen to Remainers 'explaining' to the 'ignorant and stupid' majority that black is indeed white if you glance at it briefly sideways and squint really hard.
Black is black.

That ^^, I'd say, is the best result of that night.

"You didn't know what you were voting for"

9 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

I'm a bit surprised that Johnson apparently is so opposed to Scottish Independence. They are going to have about 360/650 seats. Take out Scotland and it'll be approximately 360/590 without Scotland or 360/570 without NI. If Brexit outcomes are unpopular in 5-10 years, he could easily lose Britain, but I doubt he'll lose England. 

Is he confident that he can pretend he wants Scotland to remain part of the UK and lose to Sturgeon's demand for independence?

Looks like Northern Ireland will go with the south and Scotland will break from England.  The Welsh are p1ssed off too as they voted Labour and again have got the Tories in government.

I'm astonished that the English have voted for 5 years of Boris and his p1ss poor deal.  Laughable.

Edited by Social Justice League