House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

Just got back from voting (tactical, anti Tory). 

Raining hard so I took the car. Expected to have trouble parking, but no problem, drove into poling station and parked right by the door. Hardly anyone there voting, there were more staff than voters and no party workers at all. No exit poll. I guess that's because I live in an ultra safe Tory constituency.

• Replies 149.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Just got back from voting (tactical, anti Tory). 

Raining hard so I took the car. Expected to have trouble parking, but no problem, drove into poling station and parked right by the door. Hardly anyone there voting, there were more staff than voters and no party workers at all. No exit poll. I guess that's because I live in an ultra safe Tory constituency.

I've never seen more than one other person any time I've ever voted. Where I used to live it was safe Labour but where I am now it's a Labour / Conservative marginal. Maybe it's the time I go (after work, they said it had been pretty busy for the Brexit referendum but there was the usual one other person there when I went to vote in that).

2 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

I've never seen more than one other person any time I've ever voted. Where I used to live it was safe Labour but where I am now it's a Labour / Conservative marginal. Maybe it's the time I go (after work, they said it had been pretty busy for the Brexit referendum but there was the usual one other person there when I went to vote in that).

It's busier in the evenings in some places. I had to queue for 30 mins back when Beaker and Pig Fancier were running.

Labour governments always end up with the country in a financial mess.

See winter of discontent and Liam Byrnes note to the incoming conservative treasury minister.

If you are hard working and self reliant Corbyns plans are crazy and will end in tears. If you are running a small business your tax take will go up disproportionately compared with everyone else.

Fortunately Labours plans are so crazy that they will no way get voted into office, which is reflected in the very long odds on them getting in.

if we get a hung parliament then we have the same seemingly never ending mess. In fact a hung parliament is almost certainly going to result in another election pdq, because no way are we going to be able to move forwards with it.

As a result, Johnson is the only sensible option.

3 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

See winter of discontent and Liam Byrnes note to the incoming conservative treasury minister.

If you are hard working and self reliant Corbyns plans are crazy and will end in tears. If you are running a small business your tax take will go up disproportionately compared with everyone else.

Fortunately Labours plans are so crazy that they will no way get voted into office, which is reflected in the very long odds on them getting in.

if we get a hung parliament then we have the same seemingly never ending mess. In fact a hung parliament is almost certainly going to result in another election pdq, because no way are we going to be able to move forwards with it.

If you want a 2nd referendum then BJ and his cronies are anything but "the only sensible option".

3 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

I would take economic insanity over leaving the EU personally.

I'm sure you'll understand why other peoples opinions differ.

I think a more moderate Labour proposition might have stood a chance, but Corbyn, no way. I think there are considerable amounts of people who are between a rock and a hard place, finding Brexit and Corbyn pretty much equally unpalatable., but I think the majority will take Brexit over Corbyn.

16 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Not true

"By several measures–public sector debt, public sector borrowing, macro-economic stability, and the value of wages and salaries–successive Tory governments have not only failed to perform better than their Labour counterparts, they have often performed worse. The simple reason is that they disinvest in the real economy in favour of financial markets and give proportional tax breaks to the richest. Yet, despite the facts, Labour’s critics continue to peddle the line that economic Conservatism is the only viable option. Check the facts before swallowing the dogma. "

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/business-economics/economics/debunking-the-myth-that-tories-are-better-than-labour-with-the-economy/19/11/

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2019/11/13/the-tories-have-borrowed-67-5-of-uk-national-debt-since-1946/

Verdict. If we knew that the financial crisis was about to happen then one could argue that Labour would have delayed some of the pre-crisis spending to help in buffering the impact of the recession. But this is easy to say with the benefit of hindsight. So on this basis, it is unfair to say that Labour “overspent”.

https://theconversation.com/fact-check-did-labour-overspend-and-leave-a-deficit-that-was-out-of-control-41118

Look behind the curtain.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Labour are clearly saying that they will negotiate a deal and then put it to the people with a remain option.

Yes you're right.

Well that, coupled with economic insanity is why they will lose. There is not enough public appetite to redo the whole process and vote again. People are sick of it and want resolution.

Voted for SNP this morning.

We're seeing SNP wave here and SNP may touch 50 seat mark this time.

Tories looking at losing 5-6 seats in Scotland.

London looks like a Red fort in middle of Blue sea.

My prediction is:

Tories may get 300-310 seats(similar to 2010).

Labour 255-265 seats (similar to 2010)

Lib Dems 10-15 seats

SNP 50 seats

2 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

Yep but its likely going to cost us to buy back into something we have already funded. Seems quite cackhanded to me. What was wrong with Euratom? 

I remember reading quite widely on it shortly after the A50 trigger (that also stated our intent to leave Euatom) and the consensus seemed to be that leaving Euratom was completely needless.