House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

4 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

If I believed it could have been delivered I would have voted for the promised "even better than membership" Brexit. However, having previously worked in the EU Commission and UK government I knew that, for lots of reasons, it couldn't be and that the Leave campaigns most attractive lines/promises were lies.

We can leave any time we want the only problem is we want to keep at least some of the benefits of membership and don't like the looming costs plus there are complex practical preparations that have to completed first e.g +£10bn a year for a new customs system. NB Anyone who thinks that will be designed and implemented by the end of next year is an optimist of the first order.

Brexit will happen the question now is what type. My view is there are now only two options a BRINO that leaves us as a non voting adjunct to the EU or a No deal with us falling into the US orbit. My guess is that Boris will go for a BRINO.   

Wasn't "exactly the same benefits" promised after the referendum?  Vote Leave said " There is a European free trade zone from Iceland to the Russian border and we will be part of it"..

39 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

How do you know this, CoVI? The Treasury forecast hasn't been published. Have you seen it privately?

I'm not disputing the figure btw, it's certainly consistent my own reading/expectations i.e. Rabobank, Institute for Govt (below).

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/Economic impact of Brexit summary.pdf

I worked in the SCS for many years and still have old friends/colleagues who work in the Home Office,Treasury, Cabinet Office and DexEU. That said, not wanting to get anyone in trouble, anything I post on here is well known and talked about in bars around Westminster. 

Also I thinkam pretty sure it was also reported some time ago as a leak in the press, or at least the small part of the press still interested in such things. 

47 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Norway / Swiss brexit has always been easily achievable.

Norway was once but May killed it when rather than respecting the result she decided to put party ahead of country and push for a form of Brexit intended to keep the Tory party united.  Part of that was painting a Norway type Brexit as a betrayal of the vote.

10 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

After 3.5 years of project fear?

No.

People are under no illusions; but they see and live every day the antidemocratic behemoth sucking the life force out of the UK like a tEUmor.

We voted to leave.

With hindsight the gullibility is no surprise.

Its what your  BJ avatar banks on.

10 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

After 3.5 years of project fear?

No.

People are under no illusions; but they see and live every day the antidemocratic behemoth sucking the life force out of the UK like a tEUmor.

We voted to leave.

With hindsight the gullibility is no surprise.

Its what your  BJ avatar banks on.

37 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

How many nations are there in the UK?

There are 4, and for the purposes of the statement below, one could argue quite a few more in the form of overseas territories. It is a big supra-national organisation.

And if any of them vote to leave the Union, it must be respected! Obviously.

6 hours ago, IMHAL said:

But only one version of Brexit can be enacted. What is so utterly pathetic is that leavers want to game the democratic system by grouping multiple none enactable Brexits  as tho they are all the same. They are not. The shame is that leavers are still gaming the democratic system...

The same logic applies with remainers. Some want the status quo, some want the Euro and Schengen, some want the break up  of the UK and the USofE (all of these are positions held by forum members). So what version of remain are people voting for?

27 minutes ago, Huggy said:

There are 4, and for the purposes of the statement below, one could argue quite a few more in the form of overseas territories. It is a big supra-national organisation.

And if any of them vote to leave the Union, it must be respected! Obviously.

So England and Wales should leave the EU alone?

14 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Liar liar pants on fire.

Wrong again, you silly little man!

I want, and have always wanted, the status quo.

What I have said, repeatedly, is that if we are dragged out of the EU and subsequently seek to rejoin, then the one silver lining would be if the terms included joining the Euro and Schengen. So don't drag me into your stupid claim that there is more than one form of remain.

Remaining and rejoining are two very separate things, there is only one remain.

Now I'll go back to ignoring you and will not respond to any more insults, accusations of lying, or goading.

56 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

....which has been rejected...Actually, is that possible, seeing that the EU constantly want to grab further powers?

It is still possible if we have a 2nd referendum and the only way to get that is to vote tactically to get the Tories out, or at least prevent an overall majority.

According to Sky News this morning, BJ is worried about tactical voting.

Edited by Bruce Banner