House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

Boris has been weaker - and less popular - than expected. Swinson has made no impact and lost vote share the more she appears. Corbs has been consistent, no better or worse than last time, IMHO.

Right now, there's no good reason that I can see why it shouldn't be another hung parliament. But the inter-party rancour and public disenchantment will be worse than ever. Any solution is as evasive as ever.

The Labour 2nd ref position is unworkable and contradictory. A hung parliament will never agree a 2nd ref question - and if they do, millions (supported by Farage and sections of the Tory party) will boycott it. Revoke has proved deeply unpopular with the public - look at the LibDem collapse - and any remain-type offer will entail a new relationship with the EU anyway, it's silly to pretend otherwise.

The only way out - always has been - is to back the 2016 vote, pass something that resembles it and then try to rejoin/improve the situation dependent on outcome.

But that move is widely opposed.

More delay takes us deeper down the rabbit hole. That said, I find it impossible to vote for Boris.

It's eldritch times for the UK.

25 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Boris has been weaker - and less popular - than expected. Swinson has made no impact and lost vote share the more she appears. Corbs has been consistent, no better or worse than last time, IMHO.

Right now, there's no good reason that I can see why it shouldn't be another hung parliament. But the inter-party rancour and public disenchantment will be worse than ever. Any solution is as evasive as ever.

The Labour 2nd ref position is unworkable and contradictory. A hung parliament will never agree a 2nd ref question - and if they do, millions (supported by Farage and sections of the Tory party) will boycott it. Revoke has proved deeply unpopular with the public - look at the LibDem collapse - and any remain-type offer will entail a new relationship with the EU anyway, it's silly to pretend otherwise.

The only way out - always has been - is to back the 2016 vote, pass something that resembles it and then try to rejoin/improve the situation dependent on outcome.

But that move is widely opposed.

More delay takes us deeper down the rabbit hole. That said, I find it impossible to vote for Boris.

It's eldritch times for the UK.

First things first. 

A hung parliament is by no means a certainty. The Tories could well get a majority and then it will be game over, we will leave the EU either with a BJ deal or no deal. Rejoining may be possible later but on what terms? Personally, I would be happy with the Euro, Schengen and ever closer unity, but I suspect you wouldn't and I'm sure the Brexiteers would be vocal, at best, in their opposition.

So, to stop the Tories "Getting Brexit Done", vote tactically to get them out and give someone else a chance to sort out their mess.

https://www.remainunited.org/

51 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

First things first. 

A hung parliament is by no means a certainty. The Tories could well get a majority and then it will be game over, we will leave the EU either with a BJ deal or no deal. Rejoining may be possible later but on what terms? Personally, I would be happy with the Euro, Schengen and ever closer unity, but I suspect you wouldn't and I'm sure the Brexiteers would be vocal, at best, in their opposition.

So, to stop the Tories "Getting Brexit Done", vote tactically to get them out and give someone else a chance to sort out their mess.

https://www.remainunited.org/

Who is this 'someone else' that you keep mentioning? Swinson? Corbs?

Haven't they been around for the last three years?

1 minute ago, thehowler said:

Who is this 'someone else' that you keep mentioning? Swinson? Corbs?

Haven't they been around for the last three years?

Either of the above would be preferable to BJ who is committed to "Get Brexit Done" if he gets a majority.

Bruce, face it, there's no remain any more. The public don't want to revoke. Peoples Vote is in tatters. Nobody knows what a 2nd ref will ask or even if Labour will back leave or not.

There's no going back.

Our relationship with the EU has changed.

11 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Bruce, face it, there's no remain any more. The public don't want to revoke. Peoples Vote is in tatters. Nobody knows what a 2nd ref will ask or even if Labour will back leave or not.

There's no going back.

So you keep saying but, arguably, over half of the population want to remain in the EU and if enough of them vote tactically to get the Tories out there is still a good chance that Brexit can be halted.

EKsdKnbXUAAETej.jpg

Edited by Bruce Banner

47 minutes ago, thehowler said:

There's no going back.

The status quo has gone..it’s been rejected. Remainers still didn’t have the numbers In parliament (apart from delaying) to do anything even when faced with a minority Tory govt...they aren’t going to stop Brexit..

46 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

So you keep saying but, arguably, over half of the population want to remain in the EU and if enough of them vote tactically to get the Tories out there is still a good chance that Brexit can be halted.

#GetBozoDone. Vote tactically to get the oaf out on his mendacious ear.

59 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

The status quo has gone..it’s been rejected. Remainers still didn’t have the numbers In parliament (apart from delaying) to do anything even when faced with a minority Tory govt...they aren’t going to stop Brexit..

Let's see what happens when faced with a minority Labour government.

6 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Let's see what happens when faced with a minority Labour government.

I wouldn’t put any hope in them.  They’ll still be rambling on about customs unions, without actually knowing what one is or does.

13 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

I wouldn’t put any hope in them.  They’ll still be rambling on about customs unions, without actually knowing what one is or does.

They have promised a 2nd referendum before committing the country to any deal they might negotiate.

11 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

They have promised a 2nd referendum before committing the country to any deal they might negotiate.

I thought it was “their deal” vs remain?  Their “deal” will make no sense whatsoever..  Not all Labour MPs would go along with this strategy...such a strategy is pie in the sky anyway...Boris will get in..

11 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I thought it was “their deal” vs remain?  Their “deal” will make no sense whatsoever..  Not all Labour MPs would go along with this strategy...such a strategy is pie in the sky anyway...Boris will get in..

2 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

Time will tell.

I prefer the possibility of a 2nd referendum with Labour than the certainty of a disastrous Brexit with the Tories, so I will be voting tactically to get the Tories out.

https://www.remainunited.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/press-release-remain-united-general-election-tactical-voting-update-1-december-2019.pdf

3 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Time will tell.

I prefer the possibility of a 2nd referendum with Labour than the certainty of a disastrous Brexit with the Tories, so I will be voting tactically to get the Tories out.

https://www.remainunited.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/press-release-remain-united-general-election-tactical-voting-update-1-december-2019.pdf

So you’re voting Labour?

8 hours ago, thehowler said:

There's no going back.

Has our relationship with the EU changed though.....or has the EU relationship only changed with the Conservative party?.....We are not going backwards because our membership has never changed, going forwards is putting all this behind us and working together as a European Union and sorting out the mess in our own Union of the United Kingdom to start doing what has been ignored and should have been done over the last three years or more........the time is not right to leave, doesn't mean things will not change in the future, change it when there is good reason to change it, not on a whim.😉

7 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

Jeremy Corbyn isn’t the status quo.

Conversely over half the country...is over half the country. Sidelining it is plausible  ‘Rejecting’ it is meaningless. 

6 hours ago, Dave Beans said:

That’s a strange comment. If you’re either a Remainer or want a sensible deal with the EU then clearly  Labour is easily the best of two  evils. 

What exactly are you hoping for from a Tommy Robinson friendly PM who doesn’t understand or is particularly bothered about his own ‘deal’ ?

14 minutes ago, pig said:

Jeremy Corbyn isn’t the status quo.

Conversely over half the country...is over half the country. Sidelining it is plausible  ‘Rejecting’ it is meaningless. 

That’s a strange comment. If you’re either a Remainer or want a sensible deal with the EU then clearly  Labour is easily the best of two  evils. 

What exactly are you hoping for from a Tommy Robinson friendly PM who doesn’t understand or is particularly bothered about his own ‘deal’ ?

If I thought that Labour were going to negotiate a sensible deal, then there would have been a slim chance that I would vote for them - but they don't.  None of them are worth voting for.   

11 minutes ago, pig said:

DB is right; Labour is all over the place: they want a CU but say nothing about services which is hugely important and close alignment with the EU. It amounts to BRINO; all the responsibilities of being a member without being a member and able to influence things. Laughable. 

I agree with posters who say the status quo is no more; our relationship has changed fundamentally. Even if we stay now we will either leave eventually or the EU itself will decline and change into something quite different. Niall Ferguson has said that he believes the EU may well go the way of the Holy Roman Empire, a long drawn out death to insignificance and I agree with this.

21 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

If I thought that Labour were going to negotiate a sensible deal, then there would have been a slim chance that I would vote for them - but they don't.  None of them are worth voting for.   

17 minutes ago, crouch said:

DB is right; Labour is all over the place: they want a CU but say nothing about services which is hugely important and close alignment with the EU. It amounts to BRINO; all the responsibilities of being a member without being a member and able to influence things. Laughable. 

I agree with posters who say the status quo is no more; our relationship has changed fundamentally. Even if we stay now we will either leave eventually or the EU itself will decline and change into something quite different. Niall Ferguson has said that he believes the EU may well go the way of the Holy Roman Empire, a long drawn out death to insignificance and I agree with this.

A Tory government led by the disingenuous BJ and committed to "Get Brexit Done" before Christmas is totally unacceptable to me, thus I will be voting tactically to "Stop Boris" on 12th December.

https://twitter.com/remainutd?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^embeddedtimeline|twterm^profile%3ARemainUtd&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.remainunited.org%2F

Edited by Bruce Banner

2 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

A Tory government led by the disingenuous BJ and committed to "Get Brexit Done" before Christmas is totally unacceptable to me, thus I will be voting tactically to "Get Boris Out" on 12th December.

https://twitter.com/remainutd?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^embeddedtimeline|twterm^profile%3ARemainUtd&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.remainunited.org%2F

The only realistic alternative to BJ is "Wrecker" Corbyn. To install Corbyn due to animus against Johnson is bonkers, tactical voting or not.

1 minute ago, crouch said:

The only realistic alternative to BJ is "Wrecker" Corbyn. To install Corbyn due to animus against Johnson is bonkers, tactical voting or not.

Wrong, voting tactically to get the Tories out is the only way to prevent BJ from "Getting Brexit Done" by Christmas, so that is what I, and all my family, will do.

1 minute ago, Bruce Banner said:

Wrong, voting tactically to get the Tories out is the only way to prevent BJ from "Getting Brexit Done" by Christmas, so that is what I, and all my family, will do.

You have no idea what would result from a Corbyn in No. 10; all you might get is more chaos and Brexit at the end of the day anyway. The whole thing is nonsense.

33 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Logically there is more than a slim chance - there is appetite on both sides and  ERG wreckers can do more harm than their counterparts  on the Remain side.

1 minute ago, crouch said:

You have no idea what would result from a Corbyn in No. 10; all you might get is more chaos and Brexit at the end of the day anyway. The whole thing is nonsense.

Speaking as a lifelong Conservative who actively campaigned for Margaret Thatcher, at this moment in time I would rather have Corbyn than BJ, as would Ken Clarke and other Conservative MPs who are urging us to vote tactically to get the Tories out.