House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

55 minutes ago, rollover said:

I'm trying to understand you and where you are coming from, but instead I think you're just being silly now, aren't you?

You said: "There is the biggest gap in debate where Brexiters are lacking and are incapable when trying to win argument or disagreement."

I've no idea what this means.

3 minutes ago, crouch said:

Thanks for that; I'm ashamed to say that I'm not familiar with that one.

Your welcome - it's good to learn something new.

I have learnt so  much over the years from some very knowledgeable posters on this site who have taken the time and trouble to share their knowledge - the internet at it's best.

7 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

"Girlified"? You are descending into the misogynistic rhetoric of that bumbling oaf BJ!

Plan "A" is to not leave the EU in the first place and the best way to stop that happening immediately is to vote tactically to get the Tories out.... https://www.remainunited.org/

If that fails, the only silver lining in the dark cloud that is Brexit, is that if we want to rejoin, we will hopefully be forced to join the Euro and Schengen and accept a closer union that we currently have.

So, as you will see, I haven't got this voting business all wrong and to get what I want I need to vote tactically to get the Tories out... https://www.remainunited.org/

If the UK joins Schengen - a hard border will need to be created in Northern Ireland (unless the ROI joins Schengen).

31 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

If the UK joins Schengen - a hard border will need to be created in Northern Ireland (unless the ROI joins Schengen).

Can't see that working with the Common Travel Area. Can't see the Brits giving up the pound either. And not even Ivan Rogers thinks we can go back to how things used to be.

Hung Parliament means months/years of arguing about a question for a 2nd ref, maybe another election, every chance you'll get a hard-leave Brexit party emerging and an even worse outcome.

But this is something remainers don't like to countenance. All they care about is delay, because delay means not leaving. And after all, delay's been working out so well...

1 hour ago, thehowler said:

Can't see that working with the Common Travel Area. Can't see the Brits giving up the pound either. And not even Ivan Rogers thinks we can go back to how things used to be.

Hung Parliament means months/years of arguing about a question for a 2nd ref, maybe another election, every chance you'll get a hard-leave Brexit party emerging and an even worse outcome.

But this is something remainers don't like to countenance. All they care about is delay, because delay means not leaving. And after all, delay's been working out so well...

We will get the parliament that the people vote for. But it is a GE and there are many issues which people are considering at the moment and yes Brexit is one of them. But for some, the  NHS, cost of housing, Education etc my be their priority, not Brexit.

If we get a hung parliament then the various parties will have to take a political position which best reflects the manifestos that they campaigned on and we will have to see how it pans out.

Representative Democracy can be a challenge. Add into the mix an instruction to the politians to make arrangements to leave the EU, but leaving the detail as to how this was to be achieved to the parliament elected in 2015, has managed to produce a real toxic situation.

Edited by grasshopper

2 hours ago, crouch said:

Thanks for that; I'm ashamed to say that I'm not familiar with that one.

Euthyphro is a goodun, an ancient argument against a God determining human morality. Interestingly it can also be used to counter certain people in the "new atheist" movement who would like us to believe that science can (and should) determine our moral choices.

Call in Orange Force One.

This is what needs to happen in the coming days. Trump needs to been seen answering a question at a press conference or something with "absolutely the NHS is on the table".

34 minutes ago, smash said:

Call in Orange Force One.

This is what needs to happen in the coming days. Trump needs to been seen answering a question at a press conference or something with "absolutely the NHS is on the table".

Are you in any doubt that it is?

Everyone's made their mind up already about Trump and Boris. This reinforcement is tedious and won't shift the vote.

7 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Are you in any doubt that it is?

Everyone's made their mind up already about Trump and Boris. This reinforcement is tedious and won't shift the vote.

Accusing people of cognitive dissonance? How internet .... original.

2 minutes ago, smash said:

Accusing people of cognitive dissonance? How internet .... original.

No cod psychology, just saying try something else.

You're preaching to the converted here.

Just now, thehowler said:

No cod psychology, just saying try something else.

You're preaching to the converted here.

I'm not preaching to anyone, I'm trying to make a humorous prediction on a Sunday evening. Its you who is reinforcing the notion of sides and dualism. If you knew even the slightest about psychology you should be aware that this would almost certainly be indicative of your own need for default dissonance reinforcement. You've had this explained to you before.

Watching the ITV debate...do the Brits want more of this awful, inept and ill-considered wrangling, over Noel, into the New Year, hard to gauge the appetite for it.

I suspect as we go into the last ten days we're going to get 'please make it stop' promises from the Tories and 'last chance for change' from Corbs.

A lot will come down to 2nd ref preferences. But even after all this time, I don't think many people have changed their minds.

5 minutes ago, smash said:

I'm not preaching to anyone, I'm trying to make a humorous prediction on a Sunday evening. Its you who is reinforcing the notion of sides and dualism. If you knew even the slightest about psychology you should be aware that this would almost certainly be indicative of your own need for default dissonance reinforcement. You've had this explained to you before.

Not by you. You've never made any sense to me.

7 minutes ago, smash said:

Oh, and the Trump jokes...they're not funny anymore.

6 hours ago, scottbeard said:

Oh gosh - all I meant was I don’t like it when people moan about the government and then don’t vote.

that’s basically all I meant.

Oh, right. Sorry then. I agree with you on that one (although I'll count spoiled ballots as voting for this purpose).