House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

18 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

has great resonance with the hard of thinking...

And there's no need for this, there's been a lot of it on the site today.

52 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

As others have noted before.... this is all besides the point. He just want to be in power.

I don't think he is lying. I do believe that he wants a deal...trouble is, the deal he wants is unavailable and will likely result in no deal. But he doesn't care, since most of the leavers also don't actually care what kind of exit they get. His message of 'lets get Brexit done' has great resonance with the hard of thinking.....until they wake up and find that their weekly shop, car, fuel etc has suddenly become unaffordable.

I agree he wants a deal but he won't get one. The question is what will happen after. Will he shift even further in a direction of TBP fighting on no-deal platform? He says he won't.

It is not clear whether he would get more votes by becoming another TBP. He would risk another rift in the Tory party, 50 MPs are against it. His brain Cummings likes to play hard and he may take a gamble.     

1 hour ago, Exiled Canadian said:

I think he's telling everyone what they want to hear.  If John Redwood goes to see him it'll be "No deal is the only deal".

In my view it's not so much that he's lying, more that he is making it up as he goes along.  Every issue is approached on the basis of "what course of action keeps me in power?" and the response to and question does not impact future responses to other questions.

I think you are right. What is saying is a poor predictor what he will do.

1 hour ago, jonb2 said:

Indeed. Sandwiched between the USA hard right's money and Russia's ambition to weaken the EU. The poor old UK is the ham between two pieces of stale white slices of bread.

This is a book that lays out the plan. Duginism IOW.

The United Kingdom should be cut off from Europe.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

Klokotov stated that in the future the book would "serve as a mighty ideological foundation for preparing a new military command".[9] Dugin has asserted that the book has been adopted as a textbook in many Russian educational institutions.[1] Former speaker of the Russian State Duma, Gennadiy Seleznyov, for whom Dugin was adviser on geopolitics,[10] has "urged that Dugin's geopolitical doctrine be made a compulsory part of the school curriculum".[9]

I think this manual is partially outdated but it was a blueprint for what Putin has been doing so far. China is a big failure.   

1 hour ago, slawek said:

Is he lying or not?

Passporting rights. Without them the City forfeits its status as a global financial hub. I believe that Johnson would sooner fall on his sword than leave without a deal.

The Farageists are hair-shirt fundamentalists and unamenable to reason. An electoral pact with them would involve compromises on one side only and still leave the Tories exposed to accusations of complicity and betrayal.

"Getting Brexit done!"
image.png.564319de626c9daab8c6f52dfe544430.png
Dom & Boris

1 hour ago, thehowler said:

And there's no need for this, there's been a lot of it on the site today.

Well... I am at a loss to explain what else it could be. Perhaps people honestly believe the 'project fear' meme that was created to rubbish negative Brexit economic predications. Perhaps people don't care that they will become impoversished. Perhaps they value that we make our own laws, even tho most cannot name but one EU law they object to. Perhaps perhaps perhaps.... but, I usually go with the simplest explaination...that they havn't thought through the consequences......... 

23 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

Well... I am at a loss to explain what else it could be.

In that case I guess you're sticking with your "they're all stupid" line.

Them and us.

20 minutes ago, IMHAL said:

Perhaps they value that we make our own laws, even tho most cannot name but one EU law they object to

The Common Agricultural Policy and the Common Fisheries Policy have cost many billions in the last 46 years.

Freedom of movement as part of the SM would be objected to by most.

The Great Repeal Act 2018 will result in many EU laws ceasing to apply and these will be taken off the statute books over a period of years. There are 12,000 EU regulations.

Some examples of the malign effect of EU regulations can be found in Ch 15 of this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Deception-European-survive-Referendum/dp/1472939662/ref=sr_1_1?crid=333YL2BV79STQ&keywords=the+great+deception%2C+by+christopher+booker+and+richard+north&qid=1570642453&sprefix=the+great+dec%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1

1 hour ago, slawek said:

I agree he wants a deal but he won't get one. The question is what will happen after. Will he shift even further in a direction of TBP fighting on no-deal platform? He says he won't.

It is not clear whether he would get more votes by becoming another TBP. He would risk another rift in the Tory party, 50 MPs are against it. His brain Cummings likes to play hard and he may take a gamble.     

Last I heared the plan was  "We will focus on winning the election on a manifesto of immediately revoking the entire EU legal order without further talks, and then we will leave.”

In my view that's what he should do. I'm fed up of beta, self-hating, whiney politicians going around looking for a reason to apologise. Finally one of them grew a pair. Get us out and let the chips fall where they may.

48 minutes ago, winkie said:

If the topic has now has turned to racism?......many recipients of racism are racists themselves.😉

You're forgetting the leave postion.

'All immigration is always good in all circumstances! I read To Kill a Mockingbird and that proves it!'

Here's our impartial speaker of the House again. Having secret meetings with the President of the European Parliament.

Remainers look the other way as they see him supporting their cause.

And Remainers say they are the ones defending principle.

Edited by thehowler

26 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Here's our impartial speaker of the House again. Having secret meetings with the President of the European Parliament.

This Steve Baker?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ex-brexit-minister-invested-70000-13091710

https://www.businessinsider.com/steve-baker-glint-pay-buy-gold-to-avoid-impact-of-brexit-no-deal-sterling-2018-8?r=US&IR=T

Gold app Glint collapses just months after fundraising

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/new-brexit-minister-arms-industry-american-hard-right-and-e/

Edited by jonb2

33 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

This Steve Baker?

Yep, that's the one. My point on Bercow stands with or without reference to Baker's tweet and his link to the footage of Sissoli describing discussions with Bercow regards their shared interest in the UK's Parliamentary business.

1 hour ago, crouch said:

The Common Agricultural Policy and the Common Fisheries Policy have cost many billions in the last 46 years.

Freedom of movement as part of the SM would be objected to by most.

The Great Repeal Act 2018 will result in many EU laws ceasing to apply and these will be taken off the statute books over a period of years. There are 12,000 EU regulations.

Some examples of the malign effect of EU regulations can be found in Ch 15 of this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Deception-European-survive-Referendum/dp/1472939662/ref=sr_1_1?crid=333YL2BV79STQ&keywords=the+great+deception%2C+by+christopher+booker+and+richard+north&qid=1570642453&sprefix=the+great+dec%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-1

Utterly trivial sums when compared with the trillions lost as a consequence of deregulating and offshoring the financial services industries.

4 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Utterly trivial sums when compared with the trillions lost as a consequence of deregulating and offshoring the financial services industries.

The OP asked for examples where we would repeal EU laws or not have followed EU policies. I gave an answer.

1 hour ago, thehowler said:

Good for Bercow. 

He knows that the majority now want to remain in the EU and is doing his  best to honour the will of the people.

We must remain in the EU, everything else is secondary.

5 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Good for Bercow. 

He knows that the majority now want to remain in the EU and is doing his  best to honour the will of the people.

We must remain in the EU, everything else is secondary.

Indeed they do

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/in-highsight-do-you-think-britain-was-right-or-wrong-to-vote-to-leave-the-eu/?removed

Before anybody starts parroting shit about democracy - this is what happens in a civilised country with responsible politicians

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/switzerland-to-re-run-referendum-because-voters-were-not-given-full-information/11/04/

1 hour ago, Biggus said:

You're forgetting the leave postion.

'All immigration is always good in all circumstances! I read To Kill a Mockingbird and that proves it!'

Don't you mean the Remain position?

3 hours ago, slawek said:

I think you are right. What is saying is a poor predictor what he will do.

I sense they are getting jitters about campaigning on a "no deal" ticket. I am not surprised it will be a very difficult sell.

Every forecast is we will immediately be a lot poorer with borrowing back to £100bn a year and looking at years of service cuts and tax rises to get spending back under control.

Not a great manifesto, especially when people cotton to a no deal exit being just the start of years more Brexit negotiations and the Lib Dems are promising no Brexit and probably a manifesto that uses a fraction of the money that a no deal Brexit will cost to address many of the issues that led to Brexit.

Even Labour will be in a good position as they can make all sorts of promises with the Tories unable to ask where the money is coming from as they will be spending even more on no deal.

6 hours ago, thehowler said:

DUP have already said no way. And if they say no then so do most of the ERG. No WA/transition deal in current Parliament is going to pass without DUP approval.

The DUP should be terrified of no deal, if it happens because they blocked a deal they will be held to account for whatever economic calamity follows.  

2 hours ago, thehowler said:

Oh please.  "Secret meetings"?  Do you think we're in a war with the EU?