House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

HOLA441
HOLA442
Just now, thehowler said:

He is there to give Parliament a voice. Not to engage in discussions with foreign trading partners. He is not there to take sides. Whether it is with a majority of MPs, or a minority.

His impartiality is the essence of his role.

The European Parliament isn't a "foreign trading partner".  It's a democratic body which includes the UK.

HOLA443
5 minutes ago, thehowler said:

The only way I can see you getting a ref is if Labour win a GE. And even then I can't see how they'd arrange it; MPs will never approve a WTO or equivalent leave offer on the ballot and that will leave a large group of voters isolated.

But it's a waste of time engaging with any pro-2nd reffers because they will never acknowledge the considerable obstacles in the way to a 2nd ref - it's their last hope and they will never give it up. They are fanatical.

Or a GE results in a hung parliament, or there is a vote of no confidence followed by an interim government appointed by The Queen, or Parliament pass legislation to force the government to hold a 2nd ref.

A 2nd ref is not the last hope of remaining in the EU, revocation of A50 would do the job just fine.

HOLA444
HOLA445
10 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Or a GE results in a hung parliament, or there is a vote of no confidence followed by an interim government appointed by The Queen, or Parliament pass legislation to force the government to hold a 2nd ref.

A 2nd ref is not the last hope of remaining in the EU, revocation of A50 would do the job just fine.

MPs have already vote three times (or is it four?) against holding anther ref. Most of them voted to trigger Art 50, so I think it's unlikely they'd reverse it as it would raise issues of basic competence.

But as I said I don't think there's any chance that anything I say will change your mind on a 2nd ref, so I'll leave it at that.

HOLA446
1 minute ago, thehowler said:

MPs have already vote three times (or is it four?) against holding anther ref. Most of them voted to trigger Art 50, so I think it's unlikely they'd reverse it as it would raise issues of basic competence.

But as I said I don't think there's any chance that anything I say will change your mind on a 2nd ref, so I'll leave it at that.

About as much chance as I have of changing your mind.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
25 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Democracy did not end in 2016.

If you are not suggesting a referendum every 5 or so years then your argument is disingenuous. Surely you must understand why?

Put it this way. If remain won a second referendum and that was the end of it, then by your very own argument democracy has ended.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
1 hour ago, thehowler said:

No, war has nothing to do with it. I just think the speaker is no longer impartial.

Fanatics support him. Non-fanatics question his impartiality.

The Speaker has always made it clear that he is sees the role of Speaker as being a champion of Parliament not the Executive. So in a situation where the Executive is trying to thwart the clearly expressed will of Parliament you should expect him to side with Parliament.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
2 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

If you are not suggesting a referendum every 5 or so years then your argument is disingenuous. Surely you must understand why?

Put it this way. If remain won a second referendum and that was the end of it, then by your very own argument democracy has ended.

Why not, an advisory referendum every 5 or so years might be useful to gauge the mood of the people.

HOLA4414
6 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Personally I’d be happy to have a referendum every year till kingdom come or until everybody grows up.

My friends dad made him smoke cigarettes till he puked. Technically child abuse but the country would be thankful in the end :)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
1 minute ago, Arpeggio said:

Your words "until everybody grows up." suggests that there is a certain end point in your mind. What would that be?

You edited out the bit where everybody starts puking ;)

HOLA4419
1 minute ago, pig said:

You edited out the bit where everybody starts puking ;)

O.K. as you wish....

7 minutes ago, pig said:

Personally I’d be happy to have a referendum every year till kingdom come or until everybody grows up.

My friends dad made him smoke cigarettes till he puked. Technically child abuse but the country would be thankful in the end :)

Your words "until everybody grows up." suggests that there is a certain end point in your mind. What would that be?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
1 hour ago, thehowler said:

The only way I can see you getting a ref is if Labour win a GE. And even then I can't see how they'd arrange it; MPs will never approve a WTO or equivalent leave offer on the ballot and that will leave a large group of voters isolated.

But it's a waste of time engaging with any pro-2nd reffers because they will never acknowledge the considerable obstacles in the way to a 2nd ref - it's their last hope and they will never give it up. They are fanatical.

I would let the leave campaign decide what form of Brexit should go on the ballot, with the proviso that it must be a deliverable option no unicorns.

So back to Barnier's chart decide on their red lines and pick one of the available options.

WTO would be fine, if that's what they wanted to campaign on. 

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
4 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

Great, so, if Leave won 2 times in a row, what would you want to happen?

Leave - How many time’s do you guys have to be told ?

Oh wait a minute, I get it...