House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

• Replies 147.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, thehowler said:

Brexit began with Britpop. Or the British invasion. It's the knowledge and acceptance that the empire is long gone - I think we're way past empire angst - but it's the uncertainty of knowing whether it's OK to be proud of the flag, national anthems, spitfires, past accomplishments, present glories and what kind of life you can expect in the isles etc.

It's about what it means to be English - but also about what it means to be Scots, Northern Irish and Welsh.

So Brexit is just part of the union reassessing things as we enter the middle age of the internet and the whole global village thing begins to feel a bit tired and salary-shrinking, modern-capitalism-isn't-working grubby.

For 'modern-capitalism' I would read 'globalisation' of which an institute like the EU is a classic example.

And all that flag stuff is part of the offensive move to remove nations as a thing.

2 minutes ago, allfiredup said:

The last 40 years has probably been Europe's most successful attempt for a 1000 years. Perhaps because its more of an infiltration as opposed to an invasion. This has caused many to not notice, plus we are now having to deal with the infiltrators themselves.

Sorry I don't know what are you up to?

What many not noticed?

19 minutes ago, allfiredup said:

It's not a 'nationalist game' , those are your words to try and put it down.

It's about us deciding our own destiny for many years to come, which is the same for the Scots and even the Northerner's.

England is not exactly one totally harmonious bunch, but we know how to defend our island together.

Deciding our own destiny? Does the Batshit Party even have a manifesto yet?

We don't even know what the Farageists intend to do about immigration yet!

16a82-blank.jpg

35 minutes ago, crouch said:

Look "the project" is what matters; the EU is at heart non-democratic. Why? Because it was designed that way! Democracy and people get in the way of action so - you eliminate them but do so in a way that people don't notice. That has been the MO of the EU ever since its inception.

Infinitely more democratic than the alternative being proposed by Johnson, Rees-Mogg et al.

To wit, the ABSOLUTE sovereignty of the Market.

32 minutes ago, allfiredup said:

It's not a 'nationalist game' , those are your words to try and put it down.

It's about us deciding our own destiny for many years to come, which is the same for the Scots and even the Northerner's.

England is not exactly one totally harmonious bunch, but we know how to defend our island together.

Well that was the polite way of putting it - carrying on like a bunch of *****s is probably more accurate and I am English and keen for the UK to stay together.

Difficult to argue for this when Brexit is more important to English leave fanatics than the UK, the hypocrisy is farcical.

30 minutes ago, crouch said:

Surely the polity is the UK, a polity made up of separate nations. Whilst those nations may be culturally distinct are they that distinct to the point where disintegration is a real possibility? Is there really a conflict between these nations that is the equivalent of, say, that between the Wallonia and Flanders in Belguim? Or, for that matter,  on a lesser scale, between North and South Italy? Or between East and West Germany? I can't see this.

?

Just now, pig said:

Well that was the polite way of putting it - carrying on like a bunch of *****s is probably more accurate and I am English and keen for the UK to stay together.

Difficult to argue for this when Brexit is more important to English leave fanatics than the UK, the hypocrisy is farcical.

Even if the majority of, say, Scotland don't want it?

And Brexit is more important. Its in the name 'BRITISH exit.

Let's do that first and then get our own house in order. I'd prefer the UK stayed together, but only if everyone wants to.

11 minutes ago, allfiredup said:

Even if the majority of, say, Scotland don't want it?

And Brexit is more important. Its in the name 'BRITISH exit.

Let's do that first and then get our own house in order. I'd prefer the UK stayed together, but only if everyone wants to.

It will be fairly clear in a couple of years time what the economic impact of Brexit has been. I suspect that many will vote based on the economic reality. If it is positive then the UK will survive. If it is negative I can see the UK breaking up with Scotland being the first in line for EU membership and soon after Wales...which would leave us as 'Greater England' (England and NI).....or Little England...whatever floats your boat.

Edited by IMHAL
Just now, IMHAL said:

It will be fairly clear in a couple of years time what the economic impact of Brexit has been. I suspect that many will vote based on the economic reality. If it is positive then the UK will survive. If it is negative I can see the UK breaking up with Scotland being the first in line for EU membership and soon after Wales...which would leave us as 'Greater England' (England and NI).....or Litlle England...whatever floats your boat.

You welcome to throw your weak misspelt insults around, that's fine.

Maybe many will vote on purely economic grounds (even though they almost always are highly debatable), if that's whats important to you then fine.

1 hour ago, crouch said:

Look "the project" is what matters; the EU is at heart non-democratic. Why? Because it was designed that way! Democracy and people get in the way of action so - you eliminate them but do so in a way that people don't notice. That has been the MO of the EU ever since its inception.

Why have the people of England never been asked if they want to be in the UK?

52 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Infinitely more democratic than the alternative being proposed by Johnson, Rees-Mogg et al.

To wit, the ABSOLUTE sovereignty of the Market.

Surely the market is about the decentralisation of power not centralisation. Although the state has a role in a market economy the lietmotif of a market economy is freedom and competition.

I don't see BJ or JRM as libertarian types with minimal state involvement but more Adam Smith where the state would intervene in cases of monopoly or to guarantee the enforcement of contract. Part of the problem is that people remember Adam Smith for "The Wealth of Nations" but not his more important book "A Theory of Moral Sentiments" in which he stressed the moral aspect of capitalism, now sadly forgotten.  

Edited by crouch
1 minute ago, crouch said:

Surely the market is about the decentralisation of power not centralisation. Although the state has a role in a market economy the lietmotif of a market economy is freedom and competition.

You want to reimpose state control over the economy, taking freedom away from citizens.  You're either a hypocrite or very confused.