House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

4 hours ago, winkie said:

How about the run up to the referendum.....how many lies, mistruths, confliction and confusion was peddled then?.......by all sides.

Do we need to start again?....do it right next time.;)

Why waste the time and a ballot paper when nothing changes. The elite control (not the window dressing of politico salesmen) and do what they want no matter what rigid political party gets voted in. It is all set to have people divided, fighting each other and not having them looking beyond the left - right political illusion. Divide and rule is the name of the game.

28 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

I suspect m'learned friends will be keen to avoid anything that places him in anything more than an embarrassing position.

It would be interesting to know what evidence the Scottish Court relied on to conclude as to his real motivations for the Proroguing - it must be more than just the obvious convenience of the decision for him.  I wonder if there's a "smoking gun".

The Scottish Court's summing up was pretty damning and, I understand, it has jurisdiction throughout the UK, so I suspect the Supreme Court judges will be loathe to overrule their colleagues without very good reason. 

Edited by Bruce Banner

40 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

Hard to see how he'd square that with his previous statements regarding the backstop. I dunno - maybe he's just an idiot with no idea what he's doing? (accurate judging by most of his PM performances to date)

Quitting the EU won't solve our problems, says Boris Johnson

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10052646/Quitting-the-EU-wont-solve-our-problems-says-Boris-Johnson.html

Just like I said, the Brexit Party-Tory "pact" is actually a unilateral decision by BP not to stand against certain Tory MPs. There is no reciprocity:

How many other Tory MPs are going to start publicly taking Nigel's whip right before a general election? Probably close to zero if they want to remain the Tory candidate.

That 450-500 Tory+BP MPs predicted general election result is looking like a pretty faint hope now. In places where BP and the Tories both run they will be splitting the right wing vote and opening the door for Labour.

Edited by Dorkins

8 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Just like I said, the Brexit Party-Tory "pact" is actually a unilateral decision by BP not to stand against certain Tory MPs. There is no reciprocity:

How many other Tory MPs are going to start publicly taking Nigel's whip right before a general election? Probably close to zero if they want to remain the Tory candidate.

That 450-500 Tory+BP MPs predicted general election result is looking like a pretty faint hope now. In places where BP and the Tories both run they will be splitting the right wing vote and opening the door for Labour.

The passing of the WA would be a result for Farage.

Years more of screaming "betrayal" at every opportunity during the negotiation of the future arrangement.

10 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

The passing of the WA would be a result for Farage.

Years more of screaming "betrayal" at every opportunity during the negotiation of the future arrangement.

Brexit has enabled the enemy within. Far right billionaire money from across the Atlantic.

Clue: It's not Canada.

0GRHBWV.jpg

How Do You Stop Farage?

Say the WA (or another credible option) gets passed what does Farage do? Is he going to carry on with the Brexit Party demanding that the "Treaty" is torn up and we just walk away from the EU? Or would it be that that is not remotely credible at that point?

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

The Scottish Court's summing up was pretty damning and, I understand, it has jurisdiction throughout the UK, so I suspect the Supreme Court judges will be loathe to overrule their colleagues without very good reason. 

Dunno. The offence took place in England not Scotland.

53 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Because we took a sovereign and reversible decision to allow that.

IIRC post-Maastricht, the UK govt has legally challenged fewer than 5% of EU regulations, directions and decisions. Two-thirds of those disputes were eventually resolved in the UK's favour.

1 hour ago, jonb2 said:

Brexit has enabled the enemy within. Far right billionaire money from across the Atlantic.

Clue: It's not Canada.

0GRHBWV.jpg

Interestingly, described Banks and Farage as not ‘fit and proper’ persons to have anywhere near government  earlier.

I wonder if there’s more at play here: perhaps for example evidence of multiple foreign interests.

edit: “Senior Conservative source” hmmmm

Edited by pig

Latest Comres polling concludes..

• The majority of the British public (54%) agree that irrespective of whether or not they voted to leave the EU, the 2016 Referendum result should be respected.
  • Half of the British public disagree (49%) that Brexit should be delayed for a further three months to 31 January 2020, whilst less than three in ten (29%) agree.

16 minutes ago, moneyfornothing said:

• The majority of the British public (54%) agree that irrespective of whether or not they voted to leave the EU, the 2016 Referendum result should be respected.
  • Half of the British public disagree (49%) that Brexit should be delayed for a further three months to 31 January 2020, whilst less than three in ten (29%) agree.

If correct, still split almost down the middle. 

When I had business partners, one rule served us well and that was unless a change in policy commanded a clear majority we would carry on as before.

Edited by Bruce Banner

1 hour ago, smash said:

How Do You Stop Farage?

Say the WA (or another credible option) gets passed what does Farage do? Is he going to carry on with the Brexit Party demanding that the "Treaty" is torn up and we just walk away from the EU? Or would it be that that is not remotely credible at that point?

Well as long as he can milk his audience he won't stop. He's like one of those false bible-bashing preachers from the deep south of the USA. Pay to play.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/08/06/brexit-party-mp-candidates-chums-and-comrades-the-intrigue-continues/

3 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

1 hour ago, kzb said:

• Actually irrelevant I think, but

28 August 2019

Balmoral Castle

The Queen held a Council at 12.30 p.m..

There were present: the Rt. Hon. Jacob Rees-Mogg MP (Lord President), the Baroness Evans of Bowes (Leader of the House of Lords and Lord Privy Seal) and the Rt. Hon. Mark Spencer MP (Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury and Chief Whip).

Mr. Richard Tilbrook was in attendance as Clerk of the Council.

The Rt. Hon. Jacob Rees-Mogg MP had an audience of Her Majesty before the Council.

Bozo apparently working flat out to solve the backstop issue.

Boris Johnson considering bridge from Northern Ireland to Scotland to help to solve Brexit backstop issue, plans show

Inews

Frankly I think the Clown is unhinged.

26 minutes ago, White Craw said:

So the 'illegality' took place in Scotland  - some weeks before it was revealed to the public.

1 minute ago, Bruce Banner said:

And for the existing border, a wall or a ditch?

It's hard to keep up with his thinking. At the end of his 14-minute Facebook speech to the nation, he said an NI only CU is now out of the question.

So if it is actually a wall or a ditch, then a wall could be built quicker than a ditch I guess. However I do feel sorry for those residents whose properties are  dissected by the border line. In short : years for a solution. I guess he's just fooling around to kill time until October 31st.

1 hour ago, moneyfornothing said:

I think they should respect the referendum and that means leaving with a good deal as promised in the referendum campaign. At a stretch you could just about argue that May's deal meets that criteria.

However, the possibility of leaving with no deal was completely dismissed as project fear by the leave campaign during the referendum and later ruled out by in the manifestos of both parties in the 2017 GE, so this cannot possibly be regarded as respecting the referendum. 

6 hours ago, Riedquat said:

I take it you're happy accepting this court judgement but not the original one that didn't give you the answer you wanted? Now let's see, what does that remind me of? :)

I was perfectly happy, if mildly surprised, by the previous judgement.  I expect it will again be deemed legal by the Supreme Court. The long term effect of this will be terrible when Corbyn applies it.

33 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Inews

Good grief, the Gov. has released actual documents for some dumbass "Borisism" floated a while back. Say the route for this bridge is Larne to Stranraer, what's the depth of the Irish Sea you would have to engineer a solution for? Like, is there any bridge anywhere in the world,,,evar.........

Edited by smash

33 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Inews

At first, I though that was an article at a parody news website like The Onion

Is he really that ***ing thick?

10 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

At first, I though that was an article at a parody news website like The Onion

Is he really that ***ing thick?

Borisism; "No, err, we can do it, we can construct concrete pillars properly seated on the sea bed well in excess of 100 metres below the water. The tidal flows won't present a problem in the construction of huge monoliths to extreme delusion. We just need to believe"