House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

• Replies 145.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

8 hours ago, pig said:

Mind-boggling seeing Soames and Clarke on telly tonight and realising  they were about to be kicked out. 

That’s a disproportionate lot of voters becoming homeless too.

Soames is particularly ironic - he's been kicked out by his grandfather's greatest fan.

7 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

He's far from what is needed. He should go - they all should. Watch Paxman's video. BTW, Paxman suggests what many say here, including me - don't allow any of them back into Westminster when it's full refurbished. "Wolverhampton's nice" - he says.

New system needed.

Aye agree with that!

Rotherham would get my vote for a new location.

7 hours ago, smash said:

What I find amazing on this mega thread is that no has joined the dots on the personality drive that has led us here. I am of the view that if Boris hadn't put his personality behind leave we wouldn't be we are now. This is not to say that the Boris personality has merit, its just that its been his political game he's played with busses and so on...all his life. We could say that Farage is the face of Brexit but really Boris spun the roulette wheel and swung it...for his personal gain. Now he (and us) are where we are. I'm interested in personalities nonetheless, just thinking this is a damaging one.

Well Smash, you will be aligned with Jeremy Paxman

https://www.my5.tv/paxman-why-are-our-politicians-so-crap/season-1/crap-politicians

41 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Boris didn’t seem bothered at all to lose the vote, or lose those 21 MPs.

Which makes me think he has gamed this out and has a plan.

Losing is easy, it's winning that's the tricky bit.

I still think the plan is the simplest one: get MPs worked up into a lather and run down the clock, then stick the WA in front of them again and say it's this or No Deal.

58 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

I know teachers are buying essential clothing items for kids. They're buying food, washing their clothes, acting as parents. 

So while some people dance around the Brexit fire our children are suffering and huge numbers of people are killing themselves. Let's talk about what is breaking down our compassion, and how it's become normalised to revel in others' misery and the destruction of the world. 

A sovereign nation of broken humans - what a win.

Disgusting isn't it?

I've just finished watching an Al Jazeera documentary about Romania on how the people mobilized against endemic corruption and how the EU stepped in to support this fight. Watching it made me think of how far the UK can sink once the system runs on bribes at the top. The minister for eduction ran a protection racket  - parents had to pay to ensure their kids would get their qualifications. The minister for health created a system where drugs, even disinfectant, were shaved and watered down to pocket the gain. Corruption is truly terminal cancer for a state.

The Leave footsoldiers are all falling into the trap - letting the Tories have full free rein here is going to gang rape this country.

Edited by jonb2
59 minutes ago, byron78 said:

Nope. Not a chance. He just doesn't care. This is a game to him. 

He might not care - but Cummings, mini-me Steve Bannon, does. Ego rules.

I think he will manoeuvre it so it becomes the people vs parliament  - the rhetoric and furore will go full Goebbels. Whatever the plan is - you can be sure it will be a populist's play-book tactic, rather than normal process.

Edited by jonb2
3 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

What's the Brexit Party's manifesto again Dave. Their vision for the country?

They don't have one. 

Again, get out the EU ASAP to avoid the new anti tax haven laws coming in during 2020.

Why proles put up with having their Brexit hijacked is beyond me. I guess they know their place. 

7 hours ago, Chunketh said:

Boris only ever wanted Boris in charge. He is a sociopath. Those that support him are ****ing stupid.

Shock as people realise politicians play politics.

Do you think people get to be head of their party by not wanting to be there ? Or PM by not really wanting it ?

Take a look at Corbyn for example. He has resisted multiple attempts to depose him as head of the party. He's stubbornly refused to move no matter what. Is that because he's a sociopath who wants power at any cost, or because he genuinely believes he could do some good for the country ?

My guess is your answer depends on your political persuasion.

7 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

He might not care - but Cummings, mini-me Steve Bannon, does. Ego rules.

I think he will manoeuvre it so it becomes the people vs parliament  - the rhetoric and furore will go full Goebbels. Whatever the plan is - you can be sure it will be a populist's play-book tactic, rather than normal process.

The half-educated twit is dismembering the Conservative Party with his Randian mind-games. The Labour Party will wipe the floor with him in a GE.

2 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

The half-educated twit is dismembering the Conservative Party with his Randian mind-games. The Labour Party will wipe the floor with him in a GE.

Do you really think so, the labour party have just alienated most of the core electorate from the North East, Midlands and South Wales.

1 hour ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Boris didn’t seem bothered at all to lose the vote, or lose those 21 MPs.

Which makes me think he has gamed this out and has a plan.

He had a majority of 1. He knew far more that 1 MP was going to rebel against him, plus he knew the number of opposition who would vote for him was vanishingly small. So he's known he had a high probability of losing that vote if it occurred for some time.

I think going into the next election even though the Tories will win, the majority won't be huge and he needs that majority working for him.

So withdrawing the whip allows him to better consolidate his party around a single objective and ensure that if he does get a wafer thin majority at the next election it works in his favor.

I don't see a lose position for Johnson here, and haven't done for some time.

2 hours ago, byron78 said:

I still think leaving could be brilliant. And not just because I've directly benefited from tax havens. But I'm afraid it became all about protecting these and very little else. And by that I mean Boris and Rees-Mogg and the like. Those were never men of the people. 

So after Hong Kong falls - we'll be number one.

Good thing all the leavers have such big stashes to hide /s

2019-09-04_09h32_34.png

Edited by jonb2
2 minutes ago, RDW said:

Do you really think so, the labour party have just alienated most of the core electorate from the North East, Midlands and South Wales.

And even if the labour party hadn't done what it had done, do you really think these salt of the earth types would vote for a terrorist sympathiser, who won't sing the national anthem or wear a poppy.

14 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

Looks like we have a new challenger for the title of "Worst Prime Minister of the last 50 years"

If he goes in November - also the shortest tenure since the Duke of Wellington, in 1834.

Edited by jonb2
10 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Not so sure.

Remember we are in a pre-dystopian world of lies, misdirection and fists in the air. This works, for some reason that the Nazi's understood well.

It looks like that lying and deception become now modus operandis of Tories to such degree that it paralyses the whole political system. Are we approaching a catharsis moment or the situation will spiral down even further?   

Meanwhile PMI is still drifting down. Will they cut rates and start QE to avoid recession again? It won't help GBP.  

EDm3CZNWwAAWuMj.png