House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

1 minute ago, Bruce Banner said:

That's rich coming from someone who delights in infantile jibes against "Romoaners".

What goes around comes around, here's hoping that the EU leaders tell the idiotic BJ and his equally idiotic boss, Cummings, to swivel and as a result parliament takes control and revokes A50. 

The constant insults from the brexiteers only serve to strengthen the resolve of those who wish to remain in the EU.

The problem is ‘Remoaner-blame’-heads are what BJ is trying to appeal to, so yes he is coming across as an idiot. Merkel is coming across as a ‘statesman’. It is depressing.

David Davis this morning on R4 Today was a surreal revisit of Project BS.

Apparently he turned up with blank briefing papers.

Did the ‘civil service are remainers’ thing.

Rehashed the EU will cave last minute...although now  a little less ****-sure with a nervous 50/50 chance.

Said if the so called 30 day challenge failed it will be the EU’s fault.

Apparently the border problem has been solved there’s a 200 page document (let’s hope it’s not blank).

Said he would vote for the withdrawal agreement if the backstop was dropped ...and a load of other stuff.(?!).

Mostly gentle treatment from JH which no doubt people will kick off about but actually was like a doctor interviewing somebody who is high as a kite.

Curiously he was followed with a feature on interviewers nowadays failing to call out liars ... which he was asked  to follow on and  contribute to ?!

Brexit Royale will see players scavenge and brawl in an apocalyptic post-Brexit UK

A controversial video game will see Britons fight to the death to survive in a dystopian world in an apocalyptic post-Brexit UK.

The upcoming PS4 and Xbox One game will see contenders both scavenge for food supplies and fight to be the last one standing. 

Players can choose their avatar from a range of options, including politicians  Boris Johnson, Theresa May and Michael Gove.

Daily Mail

Brexit is turning to money maker.

EU migration falls to lowest level since 2013 amid Brexit uncertainty

Oh noes!!! 🙉

Where is all the cheap labour going to come from? Phew, thankfully Old Blighty has an empire and exported the English language to half the globe!

#TakeBackControlAnd GiveItToTrump.

As an aside I see the Trump fanbois are starting a few side threads! Tsk, tsk!

Edited by ZeroSumGame

6 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Oh noes!!! 🙉

Where is all the cheap labour going to come from? Phew, thankfully Old Blighty has an empire and exported the English language to half the globe!

#TakeBackControlAnd GiveItToTrump.

As an aside I see the Trump fanbois are starting a few side threads! Tsk, tsk!

Probably to justify why he just spat his dummy out about Greenland.

9 hours ago, crouch said:

For example if we became World leaders in AI then we would be rule makers by virtue of the lead.

Ding! Ding!

Unicorn sighted at 30 degrees NW !

BTW, I'm delighted that Alan Turing becomes the new 'face' of the £50 pound note as I suggested some time back.

16 minutes ago, Chunketh said:

Probably to justify why he just spat his dummy out about Greenland.

Ah ha ha ha!

And some of the jokers here think they're going to get a 'free' trade deal with this unpredictable orange baboon. Trump's handlers must be salivating like a hyena at the thought of dismembering the NHS. 

6 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Ah ha ha ha!

And some of the jokers here think they're going to get a 'free' trade deal with this unpredictable orange baboon. Trump's handlers must be salivating like a hyena at the thought of dismembering the NHS. 

The transparency of this goon is unreal. Why else would you want to buy Greenland, other than to capitalise on the new mining/oil prospects that have come about from the climate change that he denies exists.

41 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Ding! Ding!

BTW, I'm delighted that Alan Turing becomes the new 'face' of the £50 pound note as I suggested some time back.

Everytime I hear the 'we could do this' sh1t that crouch and his fellow Brexiteers espouse , I think of the World of the Worlds and Dave Essex's 'Brave New World'.

The Brexiteers constantly dream of building a new world to get away from the 'aliens'. In the WOTW, they build a new world underground,  in sewers that they imagine would have 'cricket pitches, banks, a railway to the coast  and everything'...... I love the bit at 10 minutes in when Richard Burton notes that he had dug just 10 yards of tunnel when he could that dug that in one day!!!!....... he notes the gulf beftween the dreams and reality and ends up called the guy a 'strange dreamer'  ......... perhaps this is the best description of the fantasy that is Bexit... except that we are not running away from an enemy ........ but a willing trade partner.  You must listen to the bit at 10 minutes in.

Does it remind you of the rants of 'new AI will transform us' or 'we can build a new port that competes with Rotterdam' or 'we can negotiate bigger and better FTA's than the EU'... er...yes!

Edited by IMHAL

2 hours ago, rollover said:

GL-COMPOSITE-foot-on-table-1.jpg?strip=a

I just love the image of him balls out on parade with his feet on the furniture in the Elysee Palace. Hopefully he took a cr@p whilst he was there and left a scorching skidmark in the toilet pan. That's the way to show them Frogs Boris.

3 minutes ago, smash said:

I just love the image of him balls out on parade with his feet on the furniture in the Elysee Palace. Hopefully he took a cr@p whilst he was there and left a scorching skidmark in the toilet pan. That's the way to show them Frogs Boris.

Well he is full of shit, so its highly likely 

No I wasn't talking about either; I was questioning the "bifurcation" thesis in your post.

If we want to some close to replicating the benefits of the single market, we will need to closely align with one of the major trade blocks 

I understand this but many countries trade with both, presumably without major difficulty. You imply we will have to choose and that will seal our fate for all time as it were. So how do countries like Japan or Chile do? Presumably they trade with both the EU and US to their mutual advantage. Have they had to choose? And if not why do we have to "choose"?

They trade but don't have the closely integrated JIT supply chains spanning a trade block that we do. While unwinding this will be a slow process and not the overnight disaster some predict, it will nonetheless happen over a 10-15yr time period and be a drag on the economy throughout that period.

They also have the benefit of half a century of trade deals, with no plans to tear them up and start afresh from a position of extreme weakness.

We don't have to choose we could just decide to accept we will be a poorer and less influential state but I doubt that was what over 50% of the people thought they were voting for. 

1 hour ago, Chunketh said:

Well he is full of shit, so its highly likely 

Perhaps his inspiration Donald has sent him some "Chicken Dinner For One" microwave meals to chef up in the hotel whilst on his European travels. Oh, the splatter in that toilet pan !

13 hours ago, HovelinHove said:

Sorry but how do you know we wouldn’t have done better outside of the EU? Thatcher was the one who changed Britain and made its economy viable again (oh now I know the hissing spitting lefties that now infest HPC will have an aneurism).

Our transition period after joining the EEC ended shortly before she became to power so you can't separate the two factors.  Becoming integrated into a continental single market was what marked the decisive shift away from the post-war national planned economy.

On 19/08/2019 at 10:23, PeanutButter said:

When cheap products flood a market they put competition out of business. British farmers with higher welfare standards will find themselves having to choose between maintaining quality but selling less and making less money or joining in with the low standards and competing with the foreign megafarms, or selling out to them. Consumer choice will narrow. But that's OK because what we really wanted was to benefit a foreign power instead of our own countrymen. 

Ahhh .. so you mean people don’t really mind and are happy to buy chlorinated chicken... but box tickers looking for an excuse to frustrate brexit are right .. even though they won’t put their money where their mouth is..

9 hours ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Ding! Ding!

It is an example. I could have said "Christmas decorations" but thought that AI would have more resonance.

Hey Ho.

1 hour ago, moneyfornothing said:

Ahhh .. so you mean people don’t really mind and are happy to buy chlorinated chicken... but box tickers looking for an excuse to frustrate brexit are right .. even though they won’t put their money where their mouth is..

I'd be perfectly happy to buy chlorinated chicken and am not in the least concerned about US food standards, but I will do everything in my power to frustrate Brexit.

8 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

If we want to some close to replicating the benefits of the single market, we will need to closely align with one of the major trade blocks 

They trade but don't have the closely integrated JIT supply chains spanning a trade block that we do. While unwinding this will be a slow process and not the overnight disaster some predict, it will nonetheless happen over a 10-15yr time period and be a drag on the economy throughout that period.

They also have the benefit of half a century of trade deals, with no plans to tear them up and start afresh from a position of extreme weakness.

We don't have to choose we could just decide to accept we will be a poorer and less influential state but I doubt that was what over 50% of the people thought they were voting for. 

Indeed but the original post was about choosing between the EU and the US with the implication that:

- we have to make that choice,

- whatever the choice the implication is that trade with the "excluded" will be severely impaired at the very least.

This seems to put the UK in a singularly, indeed perhaps unique, position of disadvantage compared with many other countries who seem to trade with both blocs and China and.... quite easily.

Being disadvantaged compared to before is one thing; being hugely crippled is another. The first may be fair, indeed probably realistic to some degree, but the latter seems to me somewhat fanciful.

1 hour ago, moneyfornothing said:

I don't think that anyone has been making a moral argument on the basis of eating chicken, but its  an interesting tangent on the discussion nonetheless. 

9 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Everytime I hear the 'we could do this' sh1t that crouch and his fellow Brexiteers espouse , I think of the World of the Worlds and Dave Essex's 'Brave New World'.

The Brexiteers constantly dream of building a new world to get away from the 'aliens'. In the WOTW, they build a new world underground,  in sewers that they imagine would have 'cricket pitches, banks, a railway to the coast  and everything'...... I love the bit at 10 minutes in when Richard Burton notes that he had dug just 10 yards of tunnel when he could that dug that in one day!!!!....... he notes the gulf beftween the dreams and reality and ends up called the guy a 'strange dreamer'  ......... perhaps this is the best description of the fantasy that is Bexit... except that we are not running away from an enemy ........ but a willing trade partner.  You must listen to the bit at 10 minutes in.

Does it remind you of the rants of 'new AI will transform us' or 'we can build a new port that competes with Rotterdam' or 'we can negotiate bigger and better FTA's than the EU'... er...yes!

Your posts get more turgid, and indeed desperate, as time goes on.

I make a perfectly innocuous remark giving an example that most on this board can relate to without making any suggestion whatever that we could be World leaders in AI ( I used the word "if") and we get the above turgid nonsense.

Are you on new meds?

21 hours ago, Dorkins said:

You're a trained scientist/engineer so I know you are numerate. Since when was 16% "huge"?

And from your own link:

16%, they say it applies retrospectively so that adds up to something 30,000 people per year for the last 10 years. that is an admission about merely one of the systematic errors in the offical figures, the international travel survey, there are others such as the non-counting of entrances by NI. Its not the numbers actually, anyone with eyes and ears can see the massive in-flow to the UK, just take a walk around eg manchester on an evening. It is the fact that a country that used to be the most precise in the world at monitoring its demographics and using the figures to provide services has completely lost the plot. As i said the disturbing thing is that this comes out now when public opinion is finally an irrelevance. Clearly it has been known for some time in official circles and suppressed. What did the UK do to deserve its idiot politicians who blame the EU for their own incompetences? Lie to the population about the demographics and fail completely to proved services or indeed admit the true costs to its population. It is almost as though the only way they can see to keep their seats at the top table of the G8 etc is to grow the population of the country endlessly, after all the plebs can sleep ten to room can't they and who cares if GDP per capita goes down by 10% if the GDP total increase by 11%? That the country needs to fly food in from kenya or desalinate water? That the liberals and pro EUer here and elswhere have been taken so easily into agenda of the sociopaths that lead the country is the ruling classes crowning achievement. Anyone who thinks they can grow the population and economy for ever with a finite resource is either mad or an economist (as David attenborough pointed out). The only times the UK has headed to any form of meritocracy in the 1340's and post war, in the 1340's it was the black death that created a labour shortage leading to rapid promotion of the lower middle class, this was suppressed in the peasants revolt, the nearest England ever came to a true revolution. The second time was post war when contraception and education lead to reducing fertility and labour shortages. But do not worry the wealthy have found another way to keep life shit, imported cheap labour- forever.

edit to add BTW my solution is simple- remain in the EU and take the p**s-  declare England/Wales bilingual in Welsh/English and insist anyone who works in the UK takes a welsh exam. It was actually suggested by an article in the FT recently

https://www.ft.com/content/13209aec-9d71-11e9-9c06-a4640c9feebb

Edited by debtlessmanc

4 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

16%, they say it applies retrospectively so that adds up to something 30,000 people per year for the last 10 years. that is an admission about merely one of the systematic errors in the offical figures, the international travel survey, there are others such as the non-counting of entrances by NI. Its not the numbers actually, anyone with eyes and ears can see the massive in-flow to the UK, just take a walk around eg manchester on an evening. It is the fact that a country that used to be the most precise in the world at monitoring its demographics and using the figures to provide services has completely lost the plot. As i said the disturbing thing is that this comes out now when public opinion is finally an irrelevance. Clearly it has been known for some time in official circles and suppressed. What did the UK do to deserve its idiot politicians who blame the EU for their own incompetences? Lie to the population about the demographics and fail completely to proved services or indeed admit the true costs to its population. It is almost as though the only way they can see to keep their seats at the top table of the G8 etc is to grow the population of the country endlessly, after all the plebs can sleep ten to room can't they and who cares if GDP per capita goes down by 10% if the GDP total increase by 11%? That the country needs to fly food in from kenya or desalinate water? That the liberals and pro EUer here and elswhere have been taken so easily into agenda of the sociopaths that lead the country is the ruling classes crowning achievement. Anyone who thinks they can grow the population and economy for ever with a finite resource is either mad or an economist (as David attenborough pointed out). The only times the UK has headed to any form of meritocracy in the 1340's and post war, in the 1340's it was the black death that created a labour shortage leading to rapid promotion of the lower middle class, this was suppressed in the peasants revolt, the nearest England ever came to a true revolution. The second time was post war when contraception and education lead to reducing fertility and labour shortages. But do not worry the wealthy have found another way to keep life shit, imported cheap labour- forever.

BTW my solution is simple- remain in the EU and take the p**s-  declare England/Wales bilingual in Welsh/English and insist anyone who works in the UK takes a welsh exam...

If your life is shit it's not because there are too many foreigners in Manchester.

5 minutes ago, debtlessmanc said:

Not foreigners- they are lovely people, the ones i know. it is human beings...

Too many human beings?  You should change your name to debtlessmisanthrope.

Just to pick up on one part of your post, how on earth do you conclude that public opinion is now an irrelevance?  

Edited by thecrashingisles