Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Briefly returning to the topic of house prices. On Friday I went to a seminar given by one of the major forecasting firms (work NDA means I cannot say which) on preparing for the possibility of a no deal exit. 

One item covered was the BoEs preparation for such an event. As for the night of the referendum, they have already agreed and signed off their plans for dealing with the fallout. Along the lines of immediate provision of liquidity, a cut in interest rates to 0%, a multi year programme of QE and FLS on steroids to force down mortgage rates particularly on high LTV loans. 

The driver for this seemed to be an belief that to avoid a deep recession asset prices must be held up in £ terms, and that the strain of a no deal should be taken by the exchange rate.

The more cynical among the audience seemed to think that this strategy was more about creating a post Brexit window of opportunity, before inflation hits, for the Tories to win an election than protecting the long term interests of the country.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kzb said:

It's not a real discipline like engineering or even medicine.  We don't vote for political parties based on computer-modelling the effect of their policies on GDP.  Perhaps we should but we don't.

We have hordes of swamp creatures identifying problems and other hordes of swamp creatures applying appropriate solutions.  Look where that has got us.  It's called Problem-Reaction-Solution.

If Brexit isn't radical why are you all so excited by it?  Hopefully it is just the start.

 

Yes I know how the Brexit millenarian cult works: after Brexit, all will be made good (don't ask how). I just don't believe it. Brexit seems to be putting HPI and banker loving swamp creatures in charge. No chance of house prices being allowed to crash and the banks' failed lending being marked zero under a Johnson/Rees-Mogg/Raab/Javid/Farage government.

Same with the Trumpian revolution. Number of swamps drained to date = zero. If anything the swamp has been topped up and a few chickens thrown in in the form of tax cuts for the already-wealthy funded by increasing the deficit. If there is no plan for how the system will be reformed then it won't be.

Who is it the swamp creatures really hate? It starts with a C and ends with orbyn. I think the swamp creatures would be absolutely fine with a Johnson-Farage coalition government, plenty of old money represented there so no threat to the status quo.

Edited by Dorkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crouch said:

It was indeed all intended to be undemocratic from the start.

It isn't undemocratic, as has been explained many times.

Why do you persist with your propaganda?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

It isn't undemocratic, as has been explained many times.

Why do you persist with your propaganda?

Because I don't agree with the "explanation".

Propaganda is where you try to convince others; I'm not trying to convince anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, crouch said:

Because I don't agree with the "explanation".

Propaganda is where you try to convince others; I'm not trying to convince anyone.

You're merely parroting your lie endlessly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

You're merely parroting your lie endlessly.

I never parrot anything but you parrot the lie that the EU is democratic endlessly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

You're merely parroting your lie endlessly.

Although I don't wish to call anyone a propagandist it is worth mentioning that repeating the message again and again, a normalisation, is a key part of any propaganda campaign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

Let's take Ireland as our model then.  England can escape the imperial superstate of the UK and become a modern European nation on an equal footing with the rest in the EU.

👏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not all doom and gloom in EU land, I did go to Brussels many years ago as part of a campaign to lobby MEPs into voting against some bill or other. Contrary to what some leavers would say, we were successful an the bill was defeated!!

Not something I ever want to do again though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, yodigo said:

It's not all doom and gloom in EU land, I did go to Brussels many years ago as part of a campaign to lobby MEPs into voting against some bill or other. Contrary to what some leavers would say, we were successful an the bill was defeated!!

Not something I ever want to do again though.

You can't remember what the bill was despite travelling to Brussels about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smash said:

You can't remember what the bill was despite travelling to Brussels about it?

Of course I can, but I value my privacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Yes I know how the Brexit millenarian cult works: after Brexit, all will be made good (don't ask how). I just don't believe it. Brexit seems to be putting HPI and banker loving swamp creatures in charge. No chance of house prices being allowed to crash and the banks' failed lending being marked zero under a Johnson/Rees-Mogg/Raab/Javid/Farage government.

Same with the Trumpian revolution. Number of swamps drained to date = zero. If anything the swamp has been topped up and a few chickens thrown in in the form of tax cuts for the already-wealthy funded by increasing the deficit. If there is no plan for how the system will be reformed then it won't be.

Who is it the swamp creatures really hate? It starts with a C and ends with orbyn. I think the swamp creatures would be absolutely fine with a Johnson-Farage coalition government, plenty of old money represented there so no threat to the status quo.

Iceland managed to jail 73 bankers and CEOs for crimes committed or commissioned in the run-up to 2008.

In the US and the UK not a single banking executive has been imprisoned for his role in the financial crisis.

In 2015, the UK's Financial Conduct Authority quietly shelved plans for an enquiry into the culture, pay and behaviour of staff in banking...

Why after forty years of this shit people keep wanting more of the same is an incomprehensible mystery to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't use Iceland as any sort of example for .. anything.

The country is entirely fabricated. For instance did any of these 'bankers' actually spend time in a  confined place ? We any of the MP's jailed (all were effectively employed by the banks, up to the President)? 

Iceland is a Soviet command economy run by a mafia family, any fact, statistic is probably fabricated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter Hun said:

Please don't use Iceland as any sort of example for .. anything.

The country is entirely fabricated. For instance did any of these 'bankers' actually spend time in a  confined place ? We any of the MP's jailed (all were effectively employed by the banks, up to the President)? 

Iceland is a Soviet command economy run by a mafia family, any fact, statistic is probably fabricated.

I've no idea how these individuals served their time. It's the principle of justice being seen to be done that I'm arguing for: The Icelandic criminal justice system has established their guilt as a matter of historical record. Manifestly, this isn't the case for the US or the UK.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/210294-brexit-what-happens-next-thread-multiple-merged-threads/&do=findComment&comment=1103500633

At least one person agrees with me..

No-deal Brexit could turn UK into 'a diminished and inward-looking little England', warns Hammond

He said that claims a no-deal Brexit would be positive were “absurd”, and called Johnson’s pledge to bin the backstop “wrecking”.

1 hour ago 9,892 Views  13 Comments
 Share8  Tweet  Email
Philip Hammond leaves 11 Downing Street in Westminster, London.
Philip Hammond leaves 11 Downing Street in Westminster, London.
Image: Dominic Lipinski

THE FORMER UK Chancellor Philip Hammond has made a number of warnings about the risks of a no-deal Brexit, calling claims that the UK would be better off financially in a no-deal Brexit “absurd”. 

Writing in The Times today, Hammond also chastised Johnson for “the move from demanding changes to the backstop to demanding its total removal”, which he called “a pivot from a tough negotiating stance to a wrecking one”.

Hammond, who served as Chancellor of the Exchequer from 2016, resigned from Cabinet upon Boris Johnson’s ascent to the office of Prime Minister. He cited concerns over a no-deal Brexit as the reason for his resignation, saying that the “headroom” built into public finances for Brexit could only be used if there was a Brexit deal.

The House of Commons has rejected the current Brexit deal, the Withdrawal Agreement, on three separate occasions. Despite the fact that Boris Johnson voted for the deal on 29 March, he’s vowed to get a better deal by pledging to “scrap the backstop”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/210294-brexit-what-happens-next-thread-multiple-merged-threads/&do=findComment&comment=1103500633

At least one person agrees with me..

No-deal Brexit could turn UK into 'a diminished and inward-looking little England', warns Hammond

He said that claims a no-deal Brexit would be positive were “absurd”, and called Johnson’s pledge to bin the backstop “wrecking”.

1 hour ago 9,892 Views  13 Comments
 Share8  Tweet  Email
Philip Hammond leaves 11 Downing Street in Westminster, London.
Philip Hammond leaves 11 Downing Street in Westminster, London.
Image: Dominic Lipinski
 

Hammond sounded very confident about being able to thwart Cummings' Breitbartian agenda before Oct 31st on R4 this morning.

Claimed a no deal Brexit was just as much a betrayal of the referendum vote as not leaving at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Iceland managed to jail 73 bankers and CEOs for crimes committed or commissioned in the run-up to 2008.

In the US and the UK not a single banking executive has been imprisoned for his role in the financial crisis.

In 2015, the UK's Financial Conduct Authority quietly shelved plans for an enquiry into the culture, pay and behaviour of staff in banking...

Why after forty years of this shit people keep wanting more of the same is an incomprehensible mystery to me.

Because they'd all have to get proper jobs without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Yes I know how the Brexit millenarian cult works: after Brexit, all will be made good (don't ask how). I just don't believe it. Brexit seems to be putting HPI and banker loving swamp creatures in charge. No chance of house prices being allowed to crash and the banks' failed lending being marked zero under a Johnson/Rees-Mogg/Raab/Javid/Farage government.

Same with the Trumpian revolution. Number of swamps drained to date = zero. If anything the swamp has been topped up and a few chickens thrown in in the form of tax cuts for the already-wealthy funded by increasing the deficit. If there is no plan for how the system will be reformed then it won't be.

Who is it the swamp creatures really hate? It starts with a C and ends with orbyn. I think the swamp creatures would be absolutely fine with a Johnson-Farage coalition government, plenty of old money represented there so no threat to the status quo.

Let's have a Treasury forecast for a Corbyn government.  "Nobody voted to be poorer".  In fact dispense with the elections, where stupid people vote, and just go with the computer model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John McDonnell now publicly defending Spreadsheet Phil against Tory smears!!

Quote

Johnson’s advisers have said “Everyone knows that the ex-chancellor’s real objective was to cancel the referendum result.”

Actually this is untrue. I was in the cross party negotiations & Hammond worked desperately hard to secure a deal that might carry.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, kzb said:

Let's have a Treasury forecast for a Corbyn government.  "Nobody voted to be poorer".  In fact dispense with the elections, where stupid people vote, and just go with the computer model.

But a vote for a Corbyn govt would be a vote to be richer on average rather than poorer. A vote to save the economy rather than destroy it.

A vote, in fact, to reverse this country's seemingly inexorable slide into bankruptcy and sovereign debt default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

But a vote for a Corbyn govt would be a vote to be richer on average rather than poorer. A vote to save the economy rather than destroy it.

A vote, in fact, to reverse this country's seemingly inexorable slide into bankruptcy and sovereign debt default.

So the Corbynistas would claim. But let the model do its work and make the decision for you! The modern trend is to remove as much decision-making and responsibility from human beings after all.

Edited by Riedquat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

But a vote for a Corbyn govt would be a vote to be richer on average rather than poorer. A vote to save the economy rather than destroy it.

A vote, in fact, to reverse this country's seemingly inexorable slide into bankruptcy and sovereign debt default.

That's just your opinion.  Your and my opinions are not relevant. 

Put the policies into a computer model of the economy and tell us the result. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

So the Corbynistas would claim. But let the model do its work and make the decision for you! The modern trend is to remove as much decision-making and responsibility from human beings after all.

Yes we want the same criteria applied to GEs as to the referendum.

I wonder if zugzwang realises that people who have never been to university are allowed to vote in general elections?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kzb said:

Let's have a Treasury forecast for a Corbyn government.  "Nobody voted to be poorer".  In fact dispense with the elections, where stupid people vote, and just go with the computer model.

That's your defence for Brexit putting obvious HPI and banker-loving swamp creatures in charge? "Let's have a Treasury forecast for a Corbyn government"? What happened to needing to do something radical to break trends?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 261 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.