House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

1 hour ago, Chunketh said:

Irony not a strong point.

It started the day after the vote. Remainers ranting about thick racists. I saw friends frothing at the mouth on facebook. Since then Leavers have picked up the baton and give as good as they get...but it started with the poor losers. Now I don’t give a monkies. Quite enjoy watching it and lobbing the odd grenade in. We are leaving. The economy may suffer to varying degrees, but in my view, and millions of others, it is a price worth paying. Get over it.

18 hours ago, kzb said:

On the other hand, to break a trend you have to do something radical.  Without any external change the trend will simply continue.

a. Real disciplines like engineering and medicine don't fix systems by "doing something radical", they work by correctly identifying the problem and applying an appropriate solution.

b. Brexit (even WTO Brexit) is not radical, it is just replacing single market membership with WTO-capped tariffs or a free trade agreement. Whoopdedoo. Radical would be introducing a land value tax, eliminating taxpayer subsidies for land, refusing to bail out the banks etc. If anything it looks like Brexit will be used as a political justification to do the opposite of these things in the form of "emergency measures needed to stabilise the economy".

Edited by Dorkins

4 minutes ago, HovelinHove said:

It started the day after the vote. Remainers ranting about thick racists. I saw friends frothing at the mouth on facebook. Since then Leavers have picked up the baton and give as good as they get...but it started with the poor losers. Now I don’t give a monkies. Quite enjoy watching it and lobbing the odd grenade in. We are leaving. The economy may suffer to varying degrees, but in my view, and millions of others, it is a price worth paying. Get over it.

Lol, when you Brexiteers lob a grenade in I respond with this one from BJ's sister... get over it.

https://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/210294-brexit-what-happens-next-thread-multiple-merged-threads/&do=findComment&comment=1103495728

Who were the experts who said we would be consigned to the slow lane of Europe if we did not adopt the euro?????

Who were the experts who said who said the UK economy would tank immediately post brexit vote??????

Not suggesting they will be wrong this time  round ..... but if they are right...... is it just a possibility that any economic slump might be due to factors other than brexit....... could the fact that unprecedented amounts of thin air credit that has massively & artificially & absurdly inflated the economy be a factor......maybe?????

11 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

The hypocrisy is utterly astounding.

Brexit enforcer Cummings’ farm took €235,000 in EU handouts 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/10/dominic-cummings-owns-farm-got-eu-subsidy

Surely the mere fact that he will lose these subsidies if we leave the EU adds to his credibility. He is in favour of policies that will lose him money!

What would you say if he were asking for more support for BTL and he being a BTL landlord with a number of properties? Now that would be cause for criticism!

34 minutes ago, crouch said:

Of course you can make guesses and even "informed" guesses but that makes very little difference over the long term.

It doesn't matter what the consensus is or that 300 forecasts all say the same thing the fact is you don't know at the end of the day where the economy will be in thirty years.

This assessment of the Brexit forecasts gives what appears to be a balanced assessment of the procedures used by most:

https://www.cbr.cam.ac.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/centre-for-business-research/downloads/working-papers/wp493.pdf

Agreed, but I'm pretty sure where you and I will be in thirty years so leaving is probably not the best option for us.

Of course, our offspring are another matter and, for the record, all of mine want to remain in the EU.

2 minutes ago, crouch said:

Surely the mere fact that he will lose these subsidies if we leave the EU adds to his credibility. He is in favour of policies that will lose him money!

What would you say if he were asking for more support for BTL and he being a BTL landlord with a number of properties? Now that would be cause for criticism!

So return all monies. But he won’t because like all good hypocrites they are more than happy to take the shilling when it suits. 

6 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Agreed, but I'm pretty sure where you and I will be in thirty years so leaving is probably not the best option for us.

I'm sure, as a fine upstanding citizen, Bruce you voted in what you thought to be the national interest.

29 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

a. Real disciplines like engineering and medicine don't fix systems by "doing something radical", they work by correctly identifying the problem and applying an appropriate solution.

Brexit is ultimately this is about people and attitudes. Cause and effect aren't simple and identifiable. There's an all too common tendency to view the world as a simple place that responds to simple, logical rules and therefore you can "rationally" work out what to do with social and political issues in just the same way as you can with fault-finding a machine. It isn't (thank goodness, because if it was we'd all have to be souless robots).

And even with machines sometimes it's just sitting there causing problems, breaking things. The best thing can sometimes be to chuck out the machine and manage without it.

36 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

The hypocrisy is utterly astounding.

Brexit enforcer Cummings’ farm took €235,000 in EU handouts 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/10/dominic-cummings-owns-farm-got-eu-subsidy

Someone is a hypocrite if they're not only concerned about whatever lines their pockets? Another post that demonstrates Remainers don't understand anything other than money and self-interest!

41 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

And the only people who I know who voted leave (and are still alive) have changed their minds to remain. They are sick and tired of the lies and bull that your ilk come out with. Like your post above. 

Asking people I know ( that are still alive ) they have either said that in rectrospect with new information would have voted to stay or they are too proud to say they may have voted the wrong way, still have many questions they want answered like 'what does a no deal mean?';)

1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

Someone is a hypocrite if they're not only concerned about whatever lines their pockets? Another post that demonstrates Remainers don't understand anything other than money and self-interest!

You're going to keep doing this "Remainers say/do/don't understand X" broad brush thing, aren't you? Sigh.

19 minutes ago, MonsieurCopperCrutch said:

So return all monies. But he won’t because like all good hypocrites they are more than happy to take the shilling when it suits. 

Why should he return it? He's not saying that all agricultural subsidy is bad but the structure of subsidy that is the CAP is bad.

Before we joined the EU  we subsidised particular sectors of agriculture for whatever reason ( strategic food supplies; social reasons ) but imported food at World prices.

He is not against subsidy; just the structure that is the CAP.

16 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Brexit is ultimately this is about people and attitudes. Cause and effect aren't simple and identifiable. There's an all too common tendency to view the world as a simple place that responds to simple, logical rules and therefore you can "rationally" work out what to do with social and political issues in just the same way as you can with fault-finding a machine. It isn't (thank goodness, because if it was we'd all have to be souless robots).

And even with machines sometimes it's just sitting there causing problems, breaking things. The best thing can sometimes be to chuck out the machine and manage without it.

It may not be simple to identify cause and effect, or even just empirical "whatever works"-type solutions, but without these all solutions are just the political/economic equivalent of applying leeches.

My guess is this will be the outcome of Brexit, whatever form it takes. The economic inequality will be just as high, the hatred of foreigners and ethnic minorities living in the UK just as intense, nothing fixed.

Edited by Dorkins

2 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I beg to differ. Democracy is based on people voting for what is best for them and their families.

Bruce, however you vote it is as an upstanding citizen.

Just now, crouch said:

Bruce, however you vote it is as an upstanding citizen.

An upstanding citizen of a country that seems determined to become a police state, inward looking and irrelevant.

1 minute ago, Bruce Banner said:

An upstanding citizen of a country that seems determined to become a police state, inward looking and irrelevant.

I thought you were an optimist.

12 hours ago, dances with sheeple said:

Exactly, but it is a deliberate "misunderstanding" IMO, similar to using the words "Crash Out" at every opportunity, people are wise to it though, Project Fear really has run out of steam now.

The UK needs to align with one of the major trading blocks, realistically that is the EU or US. In either case we will move from having a leading say in making the rules that govern our trade to taking rules made for the benefit of others. 

Why is it that Leavers cannot see #GIVEUPCONTROL is far more appropriate than #TAKEBACKCONTROL  

Project fear is on course to be delivered in full. The loss of GDP, value of the £ and household incomes are all pretty much in line with the average forecasts and that's without us actually leaving.     

1 hour ago, HovelinHove said:

I was merely pointing out that you are a hypocrite. Sorry if that hit a nerve there.

1 hour ago, HovelinHove said:

Paying for what?