House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

7 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Do Leavers have an agreed manifesto? Or indeed, any kind of manifesto?

It's not as if they haven't had time to come up with one!

What, for instance, is the net migration figure likely to be, post-Brexit? 100,000/yr, 200,000/yr or 300,000/yr??

And how about capital spending? Taxation? Housing? Public sector pay? The NHS? Devolution?

What's the Batshit Party's resolution on European defence?

It all depends what kind of Brexit it will be and how much will the pound drop.

My guest is, immediately after no deal Brexit - minus 100,000 to minus 500,000 due to European leaving in big numbers.

But I think the EU migrants will be speedily replaced by migrants from other parts of the world.

1 minute ago, rollover said:

It all depends what kind of Brexit it will be and how much will the pound drop.

My guest is, immediately after no deal Brexit - minus 100,000 to minus 500,000 due to European leaving in big numbers.

But I think the EU migrants will be speedily replaced by migrants from other parts of the world.

Sounds about right.

3 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Sounds about right.

Well yes, but actually no.

Branson warns pound to plummet in no-deal Brexit

Boris Johnson, the frontrunner in the Tory leadership race, has refused to rule out suspending parliament to force through a no-deal Brexit.

But Sir Richard told the BBC that the UK crashing out of the EU without a deal would cause the pound to slump.

"The pound was at $1.53 when the referendum took place. The pound today it is at $1.22, $1.23, and the pound will collapse to parity [one for one] with the dollar if there is a hard Brexit," he said.

BBC

7 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

Yes ongoing, but from the first link:

Can you give any examples where Iceland has been, "...  kicked from pillar to post."? (Not the financial crisis:))

India?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/northern-powerhouse-trade-mission-launched-at-india-roadshow

As far as competency is concerned, I agree with you on the PoW but I'm open minded on the DIT & FCO etc.

You missed my question at the end. 

Northern Powerhouse?

When the f**k was that then?

:lol:

statistic_id263630_trade-balance-of-good

9 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

:D

No worries.  There's no upper age limit to taking a degree.

Lol - well, it’s funny to see when it is that you do actually try to make a point !

Brexit anxiety: Uncertainty over Britain's EU exit

Sir Cary Cooper is a Professor of Organizational Psychology and Health at the University of Manchester. In an interview with FRANCE 24, he talks about the stress brought about by Brexit. The professor explains how the uncertainty and lack of control over the political events of these last three years have left people feeling stressed. Professor Cooper says the government should hold a second referendum to reduce the problem of "Stressxit".

france24

Everyone is directly or indirectly affected by the Brexit and feel more or less stressed and anxious.

4 minutes ago, rollover said:

Everyone is directly or indirectly affected by the Brexit and feel more or less stressed and anxious.

Life is becoming more and more stressful and anxiety-causing in general (it's called "progress"), but it's a bit of a leap to assume that Brexit is more than something most people pay much attention to now once the latest news report is over, they just get on with their lives and get stressed and anxious about the things they're actually encountering and dealing with day to day.

9 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Life is becoming more and more stressful and anxiety-causing in general (it's called "progress"), but it's a bit of a leap to assume that Brexit is more than something most people pay much attention to now once the latest news report is over, they just get on with their lives and get stressed and anxious about the things they're actually encountering and dealing with day to day.

If that's the case the way to make the most people happy would to be revoke A50.

On 10/07/2019 at 10:17, tomandlu said:

BJ has blown it IMHO. He'll get to lead, thanks to the deranged rump of the members, but even they must be bristling about Darroch. And outside of them, where will the support come from in a GE for a BJ led TP? HP is still deadlocked, so he'll have to call a GE, and I'd happily take a bet that it will be this year and prior to any actual Brexit (proroguing is a non-starter).

Leaving brexit out of this, Kimbo should not have said those things, the internet is a dangerous tool

12 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

If that's the case the way to make the most people happy would to be revoke A50.

I don't see how that follows in the slightest from what I said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/10/the-eu-may-be-overplaying-its-hand-in-swiss-stock-exchange-standoff-experts-say.html

• The EU allowed the equivalence, which allows Swiss equities to be traded easily within the bloc, to expire at the end of June.
  • Switzerland and the EU are embroiled in an ongoing dispute regarding long-standing financial, immigration and trade ties between the two.
  • In response, Swiss authorities removed the recognition which allows EU trading venues to offer trading in around 250 Swiss companies, in accordance with a pre-emptive ruling from the Swiss Federal Council in November 2018 to protect Swiss exchanges in the event of talks collapsing.

10 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

Yes ongoing, but from the first link:

Can you give any examples where Iceland has been, "...  kicked from pillar to post."? (Not the financial crisis:))

India?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/northern-powerhouse-trade-mission-launched-at-india-roadshow

As far as competency is concerned, I agree with you on the PoW but I'm open minded on the DIT & FCO etc.

You missed my question at the end. 

GCSE question.

Iceland - Take 1 fish, sold on the docks for £1.00. Divide that sale between the population of both a country with 340,000 people and one with 67,000,000 - expressed as a percentage of monetary income. Please show your working out.

India - does it have the same standard of living as the UK? Or does it have an acute 1% wealth problem? Increasing inequality.

https://www.businesstoday.in/current/economy-politics/oxfam-india-wealth-report-income-inequality-richests-poor/story/268541.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_inequality_in_India

If India is what you want the UK to be, then Brexit is a fine tool to enable it.

What question?

59 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Ah but there's good progress and bad progress isn't there? Or would you rather we still all toiled in the fields and had a peasant lifespan of 40 years?

There are many reasons for increasing anxiety. But they need listing and analysing rather than 'it's progress, innit'.

Personally I think about Brexit everyday and how it emblematises the rotten maggotry at the top - and yet even with Brexit they keep on winning bigger every day. But then I also have kids, plus a grandson and am particularly anxious about their futures if the feckwits 'running' the world keep leading it to ruin at an ever-faster pace.

The latest ruse, as i predicted 2000 odd pages ago - but now blatant - sell the UK to the USA - yup good plan. I bet they need us more than we need them.

49 minutes ago, prozac said:

Leaving brexit out of this, Kimbo should not have said those things, the internet is a dangerous tool

He was doing his job - what do you expect him to do? Jesus, talk about victim-blaming - thank christ he wasn't wearing a short skirt...

A reasonably balanced and pragmatic solution orientated analysis by the alternative arrangements commission;

Take home message - where there is a will, there is way!

2 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

He was doing his job - what do you expect him to do? Jesus, talk about victim-blaming - thank christ he wasn't wearing a short skirt...

Oh, but there's now full-on kowtowing - better get used to it. For example Fox saying sorry to Trump's fecking daughter FFS.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/10/sorry-but-why-is-liam-fox-apologising-to-ivanka-trump

Yes master, no master  ...

Question to the tories on here - are any of you enthusiastic about a BJ premiership? (and, if so, why?)

Edited by tomandlu

30 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

Ah but there's good progress and bad progress isn't there? Or would you rather we still all toiled in the fields and had a peasant lifespan of 40 years?

There are many reasons for increasing anxiety. But they need listing and analysing rather than 'it's progress, innit'.

There is indeed good and bad progress, I just happen to presently find the majority of it unpleasant (including many bits others seem to leap on). As an aside, 40 years' lifespan is a bit misleading - when it was that it was the average, due to high infant mortality (that that's a lot lower is definitely a good change). If you survived childhood though you'd be very unlucky to only make 40.

And indeed the reasons for anxiety, stress, and depression need looking at, my jibe at "progress" wasn't intended to be an in-depth analysis.

Personally I think about Brexit everyday and how it emblematises the rotten maggotry at the top - and yet even with Brexit they keep on winning bigger every day. But then I also have kids, plus a grandson and am particularly anxious about their futures if the feckwits 'running' the world keep leading it to ruin at an ever-faster pace.

I know you do but do you think most people do? I do find it a bit odd though how you concern about the future leads to you desperately trying to maintain the status quo that brought us here.

The latest ruse, as i predicted 2000 odd pages ago - but now blatant - sell the UK to the USA - yup good plan. I bet they need us more than we need them.

Which just brings us back to Westminster also being a big problem - indeed, a bigger one,  as I've said often enough before problems with our internal management aren't a defence of the EU, it's a separate issue.

36 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

Saying that he was charming to his face, and a fool in private correspondence 

i don’t like diplomats, they are two faced 

i prefer Trump and Sadik Khan tell people what you think of them

Edited by prozac

6 minutes ago, prozac said:

Sounds very Russian. You'd hate Japan or Victorian England.

Tell everybody what you think of them is a great way to win friends and influence people /s.

13 minutes ago, prozac said:

So, a general aversion to diplomats? I dunno - you're not making much sense. So, if he'd spent his time in Washington telling Trump what an **** he was, that somehow would have met your approval? (for the four seconds he remained in post?)

Also, you might want to look up what the word "diplomatic" means...

Edited by tomandlu

17 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

There is indeed good and bad progress, I just happen to presently find the majority of it unpleasant (including many bits others seem to leap on). As an aside, 40 years' lifespan is a bit misleading - when it was that it was the average, due to high infant mortality (that that's a lot lower is definitely a good change). If you survived childhood though you'd be very unlucky to only make 40.

And indeed the reasons for anxiety, stress, and depression need looking at, my jibe at "progress" wasn't intended to be an in-depth analysis.

I know you do but do you think most people do? I do find it a bit odd though how you concern about the future leads to you desperately trying to maintain the status quo that brought us here. 

Which just brings us back to Westminster also being a big problem - indeed, a bigger one,  as I've said often enough before problems with our internal management aren't a defence of the EU, it's a separate issue.

The status quo depends on how you view Brexit. I simply see a bunch of the same kind of spivs and shysters promising rubbish in order to enrich themselves. So as I said, the status quo, but worse. More austerity, less autonomy, more asset stripping, more tax avoidance, more inequality and generally more decline.

Now if you could point me to a positive plan from anybody post-Brexit, it would be different. But there isn't one, it's all fantasies, self-interest and incompetent firefighting. That's because Brexit does nothing to alter the same old, same old - does it?

15 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

So, a general aversion to diplomats? I dunno - you're not making much sense. So, if he'd spent his time in Washington telling Trump what an **** he was, that somehow would have met your approval? (for the four seconds he remained in post?)

Also, you might want to look up what the word "diplomatic" means...

Why does he need to say negative things about Trump 

47 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

Question to the tories on here - are any of you enthusiastic about a BJ premiership? (and, if so, why?)

I'm not a Tory anymore, not sure what I am, political atheist? But I'll answer your question anyway.

How could anyone be enthusiastic about the prospect of having a PM who thinks that bluster, a "can do" attitude and optimism are the qualities needed to run a country.