House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

2 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

No US-UK trade deal would ever get through the UK parliament because of the implications for British agriculture.

We don't need and shouldn't want a US deal, we are doing just fine now.

Better to just keep our heads down and let Trimp have his trade wars with others.

22 minutes ago, pig said:

Well here you go sweetie, here is your own post, now wipe away the tears.

Any chance of you making your point ? Pretty please ?

Or is continuing your 2 year 'brown people' tantrum/retaliation over me taking the p1ss out of your precious breaking point poster somehow more cathartic for you ? 

:lol:

Are you a graduate?

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 21:46, pig said:

However if the Government had adopted EU border control instead of chucking out british citizens and sending vans around then what excuse would we have had to leave the EU ? …

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 00:31, Sheeple Splinter said:

Just click on the trackback arrow for the excerpts.

Don't forget the,  "... idiots, Islamophobic & Sharia Law narrative.

Just now, Sheeple Splinter said:

:lol:

Are you a graduate?

Just click on the trackback arrow for the excerpts.

Don't forget the,  "... idiots, Islamophobic & Sharia Law narrative.

OK so thats a definitive no then. Oh well...

23 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Better to revoke article 50.

I actually hope they try something seriously nutty like this now, we need the financial and political system to get a good scare, Brexit so far is not causing nearly enough volatility.

1 hour ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

From your second link - I think that's about 4-5% of our normal trade levels - it's good stuff if you're the size of Algeria.

It's not only about these small potatoes, but how long it takes to get a trade deal and how much leverage you have (which is very little without the EU behind us). We'll be kicked form pillar to post. Indian trade deal on - immigration visas please - Indian trade deal off - in 2 days.

Plus judging by the governments 100% inability to negotiate themselves out of a paper bag - don't hold your breath. Most businesses will have left or gone bust by the time any trade deals are set. A race to the bottom

a) Trade agreements

Agreement Type of agreement Status of discussions aimed at replicating the effects of the agreement UK trade with country or trading bloc as percentage of total UK trade, 2018 2
Albania (Western Balkans) Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.0%
Algeria Association agreement Engagement ongoing - it is unlikely that we’ll reach an agreement before exit day. 0.2%
Bosnia & Herzegovina (Western Balkans) Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.0%
Cameroon 3 (Central Africa) Economic partnership agreement Engagement ongoing 0.0%
Canada 3 Free trade agreement Engagement ongoing 1.4%
Central America (Panama, Guatemala, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua) Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.1%
Côte d’Ivoire Economic partnership agreement Engagement ongoing 0.0%
Egypt Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.2%
Georgia Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.0%
Ghana (Western Africa) Economic partnership agreement Engagement ongoing 0.1%
Japan 4 Free trade agreement Engagement ongoing. We will not transition this agreement for exit day NA
Jordan Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.0%
Kenya (EAC) 5 Economic partnership agreement Engagement ongoing 0.1%
Kosovo Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.0%
Lebanon Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.0%
Mexico Free trade agreement Engagement ongoing 0.3%
Moldova Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.0%
Montenegro (Western Balkans) Stabilisation and association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.0%
Morocco Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.2%
North Macedonia (Western Balkans) Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.2%
Serbia (Western Balkans) Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.0%
Southern Africa Customs Union and Mozambique (Botswana, Eswatini (Swaziland), Lesotho, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa) Economic partnership agreement Engagement ongoing 0.7%
Tunisia Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.0%
Ukraine 3 Association agreement Engagement ongoing 0.1%

b) Agreements with countries that are closely aligned with the EU

Agreement Type of agreement Status of discussions aimed at replicating the effects of the agreement UK trade with country or trading bloc as percentage of total UK trade, 2018 2
Andorra and San Marino Customs union We will not transition this agreement for exit day 0.0%
Turkey Customs union We will not transition this agreement for exit day 1.4%

c) Mutual recognition agreements

Japan Mutual recognition agreement Engagement ongoing NA

3 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

2. Intentionally of course since the HPC excerpt was my point.

I'm mostly in favour of the report so far.

https://landforthemany.uk/5-place-before-profit-taking-back-control-of-land-development/ 

Me too. Any effort that seeks to divorce rents and mortgages from the cost of land deserves a serious hearing.

3 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

It could have made all the difference to you and your fellow travellers? :)

Can you direct me to any contemporaneous articles on the, "... deeply flawed referendum."?

You've been had, jonb2! :)

You only need to look at the WA/Indicative vote farce and compare it to the passage of the EU Referendum Bill.

The UK's ire is being reflected by the PoW back on to the citizens. 

As discussed upthread, divide and conquer.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/final-say-brexit-referendum-lies-boris-johnson-leave-campaign-remain-a8466751.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/sep/14/judges-brexit-vote-eu-referendum-vote-leave

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/01/brexit-referendum-was-badly-designed-and-unfairly-won-so-why-there-so-much

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2016/10/24/brexit-is-not-the-will-of-the-british-people-it-never-has-been/

https://www.europeanlawmonitor.org/eu-referendum-topics/the-eu-referendum-result-has-no-democratic-legitimacy-at-all.html

Plenty more where these came from.

Now, you have to think carefully about the nebulousness of the referendum. Even ignoring the effects of it, the question is, would you run it again as it was done?

So a question for you. Let's say there was a referendum on banning abortion, I think you would agree the planning should require a great deal of thought and legal control. It's of monumental societal importance after all. Or would you be happy to have a free-for-all where facts don't matter? The pro-lifers win being because of emotion stirred up by unbridled lies.

34 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

I actually hope they try something seriously nutty like this now, we need the financial and political system to get a good scare, Brexit so far is not causing nearly enough volatility.

Both Johnson and Hunt have expressed a desire to re-fill the punch-bowl if elected. Also, the Fed is preparing to lower interest rates. Generally when that happens the Bank of England isn't far behind.

1 hour ago, dances with sheeple said:

Please let`s just leave the EU so that this thread can stop.

That's naive.  If we go ahead with Brexit we'll be talking about nothing else for the next 10 years.

Just listened to this evening's Nigel Farage show which focuses on the Darroch thing. The messaging is;  TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP.....AND TRUMPISM.

Simples.😃

2 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

We don't need and shouldn't want a US deal, we are doing just fine now.

Better to just keep our heads down and let Trimp have his trade wars with others.

It’s the first of many ‘have-to’s:  Tufton St may be (hard) Brexiting for a trade deal with the US, but this is being pushed through by making us desperate for trade deals because we are Brexiting.  

46 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

That's naive.  If we go ahead with Brexit we'll be talking about nothing else for the next 10 years.

i think what he means is the remainers can have this thread to themselves ..

10 minutes ago, smash said:

Just listened to this evening's Nigel Farage show which focuses on the Darroch thing. The messaging is;  TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP.....AND TRUMPISM.

Simples.😃

Me too. No common sense patriotism, no sense of irony on begging to be Trumps ‘poodle’ as one caller put it, everything explained away by flogging the ‘it’s all about Leavers vs Remainers’ to death, Farage apparently gunning for the ambassador for 3 years.

The whole thing was palpably unhinged.

21 minutes ago, moneyfornothing said:

As if the Brexiteers won't be up constantly in arms about the ongoing indignities of future relationship negotiations where the UK doesn't hold the cards...

19 minutes ago, pig said:

Me too. No common sense patriotism, no sense of irony on begging to be Trumps ‘poodle’ as one caller put it, everything explained away by flogging the ‘it’s all about Leavers vs Remainers’ to death, Farage apparently gunning for the ambassador for 3 years.

The whole thing was palpably unhinged.

It's basically the simplicity that people find appealing. I was in my local weatherspoons the other week and listening to a convo going on with some of the perma residents there; "He's a remainer". On social media people like to talk about cognitive dissonance but the reality is they simply don't understand the concept or how it could be affecting their actual lived lives.

7 hours ago, Si1 said:

I'm not assigning blame - we just stand to gain more from trading with higher growth economies than we do with the lower growth EU. 

The UK has a single market trade deal with most of developed Europe. It then has all the associated trade deals via the EU.

So if your argument is true, can you point out a country with better trade deals with countries that are not itself than the UK currently has?

I'm assuming you can do this off the top of your head, because you have researched this to make your decision to leave the EU.

Edited by dugsbody

1 hour ago, moneyfornothing said:

What you think leavers won’t be screaming? Dream on. 

1 hour ago, Chunketh said:

What you think leavers won’t be screaming? Dream on. 

Do Leavers have an agreed manifesto? Or indeed, any kind of manifesto?

It's not as if they haven't had time to come up with one!

What, for instance, is the net migration figure likely to be, post-Brexit? 100,000/yr, 200,000/yr or 300,000/yr??

And how about capital spending? Taxation? Housing? Public sector pay? The NHS? Devolution?

What's the Batshit Party's resolution on European defence?

3 hours ago, pig said:

It’s the first of many ‘have-to’s:  Tufton St may be (hard) Brexiting for a trade deal with the US, but this is being pushed through by making us desperate for trade deals because we are Brexiting.  

All a US trade deal will amount to is the lose/LOSE choice between reducing/eliminates the current large trade surplus by either greatly opening up our markets to US products or facing hugely increased tariffs on exports into the US.

5 hours ago, jonb2 said:

From your second link - I think that's about 4-5% of our normal trade levels - it's good stuff if you're the size of Algeria.

It's not only about these small potatoes, but how long it takes to get a trade deal and how much leverage you have (which is very little without the EU behind us). We'll be kicked form pillar to post. Indian trade deal on - immigration visas please - Indian trade deal off - in 2 days.

Plus judging by the governments 100% inability to negotiate themselves out of a paper bag - don't hold your breath. Most businesses will have left or gone bust by the time any trade deals are set. A race to the bottom...

Yes ongoing, but from the first link:

… 

Signed trade agreements

The UK has signed trade agreements with:

The countries covered by the UK-Andean countries trade agreement are:

• Colombia
  • Ecuador
  • Peru  
  • (cont.)

Can you give any examples where Iceland has been, "...  kicked from pillar to post."? (Not the financial crisis:))

India?

… 

In 2018, total UK exports of goods and services to India grew by 19.3% to reach a value of £8.0 billion, while inward investment from India in the 2018/19 financial year also grew to 106 projects.

Exports of goods from the Northern Powerhouse to India grew by 18.1% from 2017 to 2018 to reach a total value of £698 million...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/northern-powerhouse-trade-mission-launched-at-india-roadshow

As far as competency is concerned, I agree with you on the PoW but I'm open minded on the DIT & FCO etc.

You missed my question at the end. 

7 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

Can you name one country that won't want to trade with the UK? 

7 hours ago, dugsbody said:

So if your argument is true, can you point out a country with better trade deals with countries that are not itself than the UK currently has?

Singapore, Pakistan, New Zealand, Chile, Peru, Costa Rica, Iceland, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Macao, South Korea, Australia and Taiwan

(All have achieved trade agreements with China whereas EU has none, I think)