House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

7 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

I cannot understand this unconditional love of Trump by so many Leavers. Plus, they seem to think a deal with the USA to replace the EU is a good thing.

Have they not realised the US is no longer the home of apple pie and mother God - it's now the home of Wall Street. A despotic demagoguery with impunity against being punished for the great damage they have done to the world. The spivs and shysters of Brexit are lining up to join them, or at least kneel at their table for scraps and favour.

How can getting closer to the home of the system that has caused so much damage be a great thing? The USA now runs on greed - nothing else. Trump is the mascot king of ensuring the rich get richer.

It's just perverse.

Ok so in that case explain why the EU is also seeking a trade deal with the US?

1 minute ago, kzb said:

What country doesn't have an infantile narcissist in charge?

These leaked comments would make an ambassador's post in any country untenable and you know it.

Most. A cleverer leader would have used it as leverage, not blow it on a couple of Tweets. I don't doubt that leaked accurate assessments would be awkward to say the least, but I can't off the top of my head think of many leaders who would give a shit. Putin would just laugh. 

41 minutes ago, PeanutButter said:

Weird coincidence that this leaked at the right moment to help obscure the Trump/Epstein child trafficking connection...

The coincidence is rather the leak just at the point BJ is to be annointed by kipper entryists ;)

So its unlikely for the purposes of Epstein, but I guess not implausible: 

3 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Ok so in that case explain why the EU is also seeking a trade deal with the US?

Could be something to do with the EU having the upper hand and being able to dictate terms - 500 million vs 350 million.

IOW, a Rottweiler, rather than a miniature poodle. They don't kowtow. They don't need to, unlike like our lot here who bend over so easily and are obsessed with money above all else. The Europeans won't be told what to do. We on the other hand ...

6 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

Could be something to do with the EU having the upper hand and being able to dictate terms - 500 million vs 350 million.

IOW, a Rottweiler, rather than a miniature poodle. They don't kowtow. They don't need to, unlike like our lot here who bend over so easily and are obsessed with money above all else. The Europeans won't be told what to do. We on the other hand ...

Which is why in years of trying they've failed to actually get a trade agreement and are currently on WTO terms whilst having the slowest economic growth of any economic bloc in the world?

Edited by Si1

1 minute ago, Si1 said:

Which is why in years of trying they've failed to actually get a trade agreement and are currently on WTO terms whilst having the slowest economic growth of any economic bloc in the world?

The US population is three times bigger than it was a hundred years ago.  Do you suggest the EU copy that model for growth?

4 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

The US population is three times bigger than it was a hundred years ago.  Do you suggest the EU copy that model for growth?

Wtf

Strawman

The EU just isn't very economically competitive

1 minute ago, Si1 said:

Wtf

Strawman

Social care, employment rights, work hours, wages (net) - there are other metrics. It's telling that none of the 'top 3' are places where I'd want to be the average citizen.

25 minutes ago, pig said:

The coincidence is rather the leak just at the point BJ is to be annointed by kipper entryists ;)

She’s certainly their pet ‘journalist’ but the Epstein thing keeps getting crazier.

2 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Wtf

Strawman

The EU has trade deals with Canada, South Korea, Mexico, Japan, Australia, NZ, Vietnam a new one with South America.

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/negotiations-and-agreements/

And after Brexit, how many do we have?? And how fecking long will they take? And what will we have to concede to get them? And who the feck is going to negotiate them?

If you want to see what's economically uncompetitive, come back here in 10 years for the dictionary definition.

29 minutes ago, pig said:

Clown isn't even prime minister yet, and here we are kowtowing to Trump already.

Take back control to give it away again. Genius!  :ph34r:

1 minute ago, jonb2 said:

The EU has trade deals with Canada, South Korea, Mexico, Japan, Australia, NZ, Vietnam a new one with South America.

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/negotiations-and-agreements/

And after Brexit, how many do we have?? And how fecking long will they take? And what will we have to concede to get them? And who the feck is going to negotiate them?

If you want to see what's economically uncompetitive, come back here in 10 years for the dictionary definition.

I dont need to. I just need to look across the English Channel.

5 minutes ago, Si1 said:

You don't actually understand what you've just posted here. Err whatever.

My mistake. I posted worth against growth. But there was contradictory data which I should have seen.

Just now, jonb2 said:

My mistake. I posted worth against growth. But there was contradictory data which I should have seen.

Ah ok.

10 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Wtf

Strawman

It's a weird kind of voodoo thinking that blames the EU for the relative decline of one of the richest parts of the world as some of the poorest parts catch up. 

Just now, Si1 said:

I dont need to. I just need to look across the English Channel.

Here, not there.

You have not answered my question. What great new dawn is going to replace our EU trading arrangements?

Just now, thecrashingisles said:

It's a weird kind of voodoo thinking that blames the EU for the relative decline of one of the richest parts of the world as some of the poorest parts catch up. 

I'm not assigning blame - we just stand to gain more from trading with higher growth economies than we do with the lower growth EU. We are held back from doing this by poor and few trade agreements between the EU and these higher growth regions. This is usually to satisfy disparate random political interests such as Belgian dairy farmers etc.

2 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

Here, not there.

You have not answered my question. What great new dawn is going to replace our EU trading arrangements?

Our own trade agreements which will be politically simpler to negotiate since we won't have minority political interests in the EU to veto them.

1 minute ago, Si1 said:

I'm not assigning blame - we just stand to gain more from trading with higher growth economies than we do with the lower growth EU. We are held back from doing this by poor and few trade agreements between the EU and these higher growth regions. This is usually to satisfy disparate random political interests such as Belgian dairy farmers etc.

That's just not true.  For one thing the cash value of growth in the EU is worth more than a large percentage of a smaller economy.  Secondly the EU has a far better record of promoting free trade globally than the USA.

2 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Our own trade agreements which will be politically simpler to negotiate since we won't have minority political interests in the EU to veto them.

How easy will it be politically to overrule the farming lobby in the UK?

Just now, Si1 said:

Still doesn't answer my question. Who, what, how, when and with whom?

5 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Which higher growth regions? Sounds fine in theory, but completely ignores the reality of geo-politics.

China?

The USA?

8 minutes ago, ZeroSumGame said:

Clown isn't even prime minister yet, and here we are kowtowing to Trump already.

Take back control to give it away again. Genius!  :ph34r:

Kim Darroch: effectively sacked by Johnson on the orders of Trump

On podium: Sovereign nation! No one can tell us what to do! 

Backstage: Yes Mr President, no Mr President, 3 bags full Mr President. *kneels to lick shoes*