House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Boris Johnson is a classic example of an "upper class twit". How anyone could want him in any kind of government role is beyond me.

But then look at the yougov poll of conservative members today.

Thats clearly a selection of the very worst kind of Little Englander twits - bent on destroying the UK.

Actually, I'm finding it difficult to believe these people are 'conservative'.

31 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

That`s right, "No Deal" is a Project Fear meme, it isn`t real. The bonus will be that we can also make other trade deals as we please.

But Johnson and Farage keep insisting that No Deal is a very real possibility that must be kept on the table. I'm confused. Are they part of Project Fear too, or just bare-faced liars?

56 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

? So no more local and general elections then? Interesting take on things I must say, can`t see it myself though.

No more referendums. In part for the reason, that should have been obvious to Cameron, that the electorate often ignores the question asked and delivers a verdict on the government.

1 hour ago, dances with sheeple said:

Don`t think that is my quote, but IMO it will be easier in an independent UK to control the politicians and their immigration fantasies, not harder.

It is the parlous state of the public finances driving the government's to increase GDP by any means possible that is behind the desire for a continued high level of immigration.  Brexit will only add to that desire.  

58 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

That`s right, "No Deal" is a Project Fear meme, it isn`t real. The bonus will be that we can also make other trade deals as we please.

LOL 

Surely you cannot know so little about the realities of making trade deals to believe that. From a position of strength and with what is reckoned to be the world's best trade negotiation team it has taken the EU 40 years to build a comprehensive set of trade deals.

How long do you think it will take us to get anywhere near replicating what we have today. 

27 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

LOL 

Surely you cannot know so little about the realities of making trade deals to believe that. From a position of strength and with what is reckoned to be the world's best trade negotiation team it has taken the EU 40 years to build a comprehensive set of trade deals.

How long do you think it will take us to get anywhere near replicating what we have today. 

:blink: Errm…

China-Britain trade deal secured, despite UK’s Hong Kong concerns

• British trade officials’ anxious moments unfounded as £500 million agreement signed
  • Strong statement on Hong Kong protest by UK Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt fails to scupper talks...
  •  

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3014989/china-britain-trade-deal-secured-despite-uks-hong-kong

1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

But Johnson and Farage keep insisting that No Deal is a very real possibility that must be kept on the table. I'm confused. Are they part of Project Fear too, or just bare-faced liars? 

I think the thing that makes "No Deal" part of "Project Fear" is that the words "No Deal" are bandied around as an incantation to provide a vision of the four horsemen of the appocolapse having laid waste to a former subsidiary of the EU. 

1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

No more referendums. In part for the reason, that should have been obvious to Cameron, that the electorate often ignores the question asked and delivers a verdict on the government. 

I think something analogous.  I think there will be no more referendums because the electorate did not vote how the MPs wanted them to vote.

41 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Longer than forever - one hopes.  If we replicated what we have today, the UK would be a member of the EU (on the cusp of leaving... having made not one iota of progress on any front.)

I sympathise, however, with your reaction against Dances With Sheeple saying "...we can also make other trade deals as we please."  The problem is who "we" are... and, sadly, at the moment, it looks like "we" are the MPs who have refused to leave the EU (on any of the timescales repeatedly promised).  Perhaps it will be necessary to leave the EU and to establish a capable, credible, government before we see positive progress?

Afterthought:  That the UK has had sub-par government(s) and been a member of the EU over the last 40 years are not disputed.  One wonders if these two facts are independent variables.

Edited by A.steve
Afterthought

38 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

LOL 

Less time than you, I reckon :)

UK and South Korea agree to sign post-Brexit trade deal

Agreement is Britain’s first major trade deal in Asia since the vote to leave the EU...

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/10/uk-south-korea-brexit-trade-deal-asia-eu

Good to see Rory won the vote*

But who's the remoaner plant? My money's on Gove.

*using remoaner maths where the incorrect winner loses and the correct loser wins

19 hours ago, rollover said:

I responded to your chart, especially to the 58% increase of Indian people.

:)

Yes, you did but what is your point regarding, "the 58% increase of Indian people." and, " Looking at the numbers, Nigel Farage's propaganda poster is getting a brand new meaning,"

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 09:24, rollover said:

Looking at the numbers, Nigel Farage's propaganda poster is getting a brand new meaning,

_90025744_033583881-1.jpg

image.png.1e9c3aeb9552fa7c1eadefa6b0789714.png

12 minutes ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

Interesting...

I wonder, is there a website dedicated to documenting the trade terms we have with various countries - allowing them to be compared and contrasted?  That would be a really useful website... if it existed... and it referenced the public documents about trade agreements.

Why is it that the UK leaving the EU vote did not have as much detail and effort, different choices and elimination votes as the vote for the next Conservative leader that may or may not last the next GE?;)

3 minutes ago, A.steve said:

Interesting...

I wonder, is there a website dedicated to documenting the trade terms we have with various countries - allowing them to be compared and contrasted?  That would be a really useful website... if it existed... and it referenced the public documents about trade agreements.

I agree that would be very useful but the UK hasn't left the EU yet...

More detail from UKgov, DIT e.g. USA MoU

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/779490/CS_USA_5.2019_Mutual.pdf

31 minutes ago, A.steve said:

Afterthought:  That the UK has had sub-par government(s) and been a member of the EU over the last 40 years are not disputed.  One wonders if these two facts are independent variables.

There was an article in the DT a few weeks ago that suggested just that.

Between a load taken away by devolution and the fact we get a lot from the EU has led to a much inferior parliament. The article suggested that it wasn't so much that the HOC were unwilling to get to grips with Brexit; it was more they were incapable of doing so.

Edited by crouch

1 minute ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

I agree that would be very useful but the UK hasn't left the EU yet...

Interesting document... My original idea is that I'd like to know the terms on which we currently trade - as a member of the EU.  A specific baseline...

1 minute ago, winkie said:

Why is it that the UK leaving the EU vote did not have as much detail and effort, different choices and elimination votes as the vote for the next Conservative leader that may or may not last the next GE?;)

At the time, it was considered a slam dunk Remain in the EU exercise...

2 minutes ago, A.steve said:

Interesting document... My original idea is that I'd like to know the terms on which we currently trade - as a member of the EU.  A specific baseline...

Agreed. :) 

8 hours ago, yodigo said:

Good to see Rory won the vote*

But who's the remoaner plant? My money's on Gove.

*using remoaner maths where the incorrect winner loses and the correct loser wins

Are you saying Johnson is incorrect and Stewart is correct?

8 hours ago, winkie said:

Because the leadership actually matters, whereas the referendum was advisory. 

Question on BBC debate from Carmella who has a husband in the property industry who is terrified of no deal. I’m starting to think no deal might be good idea if it’s specifically spooking them.

Christ, she’s worried about her banker and vet son. 

Edited by cica

33 minutes ago, copydude said:

It seems many would prefer a better one.

poll.jpg

LoL. Presumably Tory party members believe in their individuality and aren't easily manipulated by others or by airtime. In my Farage watching I just love the look on the dudes face when someone says "I think you should be PM Nigel". Fecking priceless.