House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

4 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

The best time to negotiate you home insurance premium is not when your house is on fire.

And especially not when you are standing outside it holding a box of matches and an empty can of petrol!

13 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

The best time to negotiate you home insurance premium is not when your house is on fire.

Exactly. Added to which we have, in the Tories, firemen who think petrol is better than water.

Con members are willing to destroy the UK, economy and their own party to get Brexit. Only JC becoming PM scares them.

650.jpg?width=780&quality=85&auto=format

4 minutes ago, slawek said:

Con members are willing to destroy the UK, economy and their own party to get Brexit. Only JC becoming PM scares them.

These are the people choosing the next PM.  The lunatics have finally taken over the asylum.

1 minute ago, Exiled Canadian said:

These are the people choosing the next PM.  The lunatics have finally taken over the asylum.

Agreed, Corbyn no longer looks like the nuclear option. 

3 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

There is no evidence for that.

It’s complete project fear.

Actually there is Dave. Do you remember that May's deal did not ensure the parity of worker's rights and it was part of Labour's condition.

The TUC has also been worried and has this as part of their post Brexit wants:

https://www.tuc.org.uk/campaigns/our-brexit-campaign

Many Tories have tried to erode life for Everyday Joe. In many cases they have succeeded as we see every day.

Brexit is a right wing thing. Tell me, what do the right wing stand for? What do they usually do?

UK led towards no-deal Brexit by untruthful elite

Ivan Rogers offers withering assessment of Tory candidates vying to be prime minister.

He said the Tory leadership election brought to mind the quote of the French statesman Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord about the Bourbons in that they had “learned nothing and forgotten nothing”.

“We all know this is a great country. Sadly, it’s one currently very poorly led by a political elite, some masquerading as non-elite, which has great difficulties discerning and telling the truth. I am discouraged by just how badly Brexit has been handled to date, and currently pessimistic that this is going to get any better any time soon.”

“We hear all manner of undeliverable promises, made as if the events of the last three years have made no impact on the collective consciousness,” Rogers said of the remaining leadership candidates.

Guardian

Unfortunately Tories are too busy and are not listing Ivan Rogers.

12 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

I was just about to post the same - incredible, scary, wow.

19 minutes ago, slawek said:

If they didn't wield so much power this would be laughable. 

12 minutes ago, Trump Invective said:

If they didn't wield so much power this would be laughable. 

Channel 4 news on friday i think was in a tory heartland interviewing three middle aged white men who are voting members of the Torys. all retired and a nice lifestyle. these are the lunatics in charge now! 

2 minutes ago, hurlerontheditch said:

Channel 4 news on friday i think was in a tory heartland interviewing three middle aged white men who are voting members of the Torys. all retired and a nice lifestyle. these are the lunatics in charge now! 

It's time to take the power back, as Rage Against the Machine might say.

4 minutes ago, Trump Invective said:

It's time to take the power back, as Rage Against the Machine might say.

It is all in hands of a few Tory MPs, who can vote their government down and trigger a new GE.  Will they have guts to do this?

35 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Agreed, Corbyn no longer looks like the nuclear option. 

Even more reason for him to sit back, be indecisive, and let the other party destroy itself. Why do anything, if tory members would prefer to hit the brexit red button or even self destruct?

Johnson will be PM for a few months, then Rory Stewart after the party has gone the way of the LibDems and capsized for a while. They'll be back after dusting themselves down and realising the centre ground is their only option.

1 minute ago, slawek said:

It is all in hands of a few Tory MPs, who can vote their government down and trigger a new GE.  Will they have guts to do this?

They may not have any choice - the other options are no deal which we know can't happen if the tories want any voters outside the loony right, or second referendum which will suddenly seem much more attractive leading up to October. I think Johnson will have to make that choice - then resign whichever following the wrath of tory supporters. BoJo is definitely the man for the moment, because his moment will be so brief.

UK seeks agreement with EU on citizens' rights

Brexit Secretary Stephen Barclay has asked the EU to consider a separate agreement on citizens' rights in the event of no deal. Around 1.3m UK citizens live in one of the other 27 EU member states, while the UK hosts about 3.2m EU nationals.

The Tory MP, Alberto Costa, who has campaigned on the issue, told the BBC: "Better late than never." "The UK government has finally taken seriously the Costa amendment and with the spectre of no deal appearing ever closer, the UK government are worrying about how to protect the rights of British citizens in the EU in the event of no deal."

"Failure, will result in a total loss of rights for British nationals in the EU, confusion over pensions and welfare access, and undoubtedly a tsunami of litigation against the failure of the UK govt to protect their rights."

BBC

They have no plan, absolute incompetence from no deal supporting Brexiters.

1 minute ago, Trump Invective said:

Even more reason for him to sit back, be indecisive, and let the other party destroy itself. Why do anything, if tory members would prefer to hit the brexit red button or even self destruct?

Johnson will be PM for a few months, then Rory Stewart after the party has gone the way of the LibDems and capsized for a while. They'll be back after dusting themselves down and realising the centre ground is their only option.

Quite frankly I don't give a shit about the fecking Tories.

I am seriously worried this whole thing will drag the country down to a level never seen before here, even worse than the 70s.

To be in the hands of just a few self-serving morons is something i thought I would never see in my lifetime. No wonder the rest of the world are laughing or simply open-mouthed in shock at this gun-to-the-head act of massive self-harm.

Unbelievable.

Just now, jonb2 said:

I am seriously worried this whole thing will drag the country down to a level never seen before here, even worse than the 70s.

To be in the hands of just a few self-serving morons is something i thought I would never see in my lifetime. No wonder the rest of the world are laughing or simply open-mouthed in shock at this gun-to-the-head act of massive self-harm.

Unbelievable.

I totally agree - but how low can things go before serious intervention from the public, channelled through parliament in the form of reasonable tories plus other parties in coalition? My guess is when a critical mass of tories realise their party is doomed as the decision between no deal, second referendum, or GE becomes more urgent.

12 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

Unbelievable.

The self serving morons have somehow managed to convince a sizeable minority that the only democratic option is to "Deliver Brexit for the British people and honour the result of the referendum" even if that means dragging the majority, screaming and kicking" out of the EU.

15 minutes ago, Trump Invective said:

I totally agree - but how low can things go before serious intervention from the public, channelled through parliament in the form of reasonable tories plus other parties in coalition? My guess is when a critical mass of tories realise their party is doomed as the decision between no deal, second referendum, or GE becomes more urgent.

In general the media are doing a good job of keeping a lid on things. 

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 21:27, crouch said:

Bannon is a libertarian and if most people knew what their policies entailed they wouldn't be at all keen on them. In a Europe with a social democratic history they are, by and large, anathema.

Libertarians want open borders and free trade.

Barnier rebuffs appeal over citizens' rights in event of no-deal Brexit

EU negotiator rejects Stephen Barclay’s call to ringfence key part of withdrawal agreement.

Michel Barnier said the suggestion that the citizens elements could be “carved out” was “far from straight-forward. Our joint efforts should remain focused on making sure that the withdrawal agreement will be ratified and will enter into force,” Barnier wrote. “We should not be distracted from this essential objective”.

Barnier wrote that the citizens’ rights part of the withdrawal agreement was part of an “overall and comprehensive approach” to Brexit that could not be picked apart.

Guardian

There will be no Brexit cherry-picking.

5 minutes ago, rollover said:

There will be no Brexit cherry-picking.

Some input from conservative supports would be helpful on here to address the many issues arising. This overall question is addressed to them: how do we resolve this ludicrous situation?

3 hours ago, dragging boot straps said:

Ah nice one champ. Complete misreading of the situation. Do you know the difference between a deficit and a debt I wonder?

P.s don't worry, I know the answer already. 

I'm not worried believe me.

25 minutes ago, Kosmin said:

Libertarians want open borders and free trade.

Not really true. But not worth going into here either.

Also my comment referred to libertarianism in general.