House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

4 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Enforced displacement to Leeds isn't evolution.

I thought GrizzlyDave was against people with funny sounding accepts moving to other regions and taking jobs.

46 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

I'm perfectly comfortable with the maximum parts per billion of lead in household paint being decided at EU level by a panel of technical experts (many of them British) and then that regulation being enforced across the continent by the European Commission backed by the ECJ. There would have to be such a regulation at UK level anyway, might as well have a common one which helps trade to flow. Which directives are you unhappy with? Or even just which areas of competency?

On tech regulation see this:

http://coadec.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/The-Impact-of-Regulation-on-the-Tech-Sector.pdf

4 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Enforced displacement to Leeds isn't evolution.

Enforced displacement. Seriously?

This is a great move by C4.

But the reaction of staff is a damning statement and sums up the London elitism. 

2 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

It's very much to do with the subject.  His comment is only true if you completely ignore the functioning of the EU itself and just regard it as some foreign body that has an influence over our government via the courts.  That view is not helpful at all in understanding what's actually going on.

I see. I have two views here: one from a noted expert on the constitution and you. Guess which one I'm inclined to believe?

1 minute ago, GrizzlyDave said:

But the reaction of staff is a damning statement and sums up the London elitism. 

It's perfectly normal for people to object to being uprooted and says absolutely nothing about elitism.  You just have a chip on your shoulder.

14 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

If the individual components of it don't want that, yes.Has to be whatever people feel comfortable with, otherwise you end up playing the silly game of "logically" lurching to one absurd extreme or the other. The Empire ended when most of it wanted to go its own way and we'd got past trying to force them to do otherwise.

That's all very well, but your side have used the very idea of nations binding together in a political union as absurd and a reason not to be in the EU. We've been told that we should not have to live with rules made by people not of your nation. 

But they're not actually unhappy with that concept are they? They're quite happy to have foreigners make rules in the union of nations that is the UK.

Just now, crouch said:

I see. I have two views here: one from a noted expert on the constitution and you. Guess which one I'm inclined to believe?

You could try thinking for yourself, and with your previous answer you seemed to agree with my argument.  You can't look at UK institutions in isolation and therefore conclude that the courts have more power - as a member of the EU, the EU institutions themselves become part of our system of government.

3 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

No it doesn't, get rid of your massive chip.

These are just human beings. 

Moving your business to a cheaper location is fine. People can do what they want and these people seem to like living in London. Why are you so concerned with what they want?

1 minute ago, thecrashingisles said:

It's perfectly normal for people to object to being uprooted and says absolutely nothing about elitism.  You just have a chip on your shoulder.

Nah - it’s Elitism.

I’ve been involved in organisational relocations directly.

1 hour ago, GrizzlyDave said:

The absolute state of this...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/jun/09/channels-4s-move-out-of-london-will-cost-at-least-50m

90% of Channel 4 staff will quit as they can’t face a move from their metropolitan London bubble to Leeds!

2 incomes  - kids at local school - friends, family, support systems nearby, finding new place to live. It's a big ask.

Not worth it unless you are footloose and fancy free.

6 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

2 incomes  - kids at local school - friends, family, support systems nearby, finding new place to live. It's a big ask.

Not worth it unless you are footloose and fancy free.

More JOs for Leeds then.

3 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Next time you book a holiday, try asking for a discount because you don't live in London and see how you get on.

Where is cheaper to live, London or Leeds?

3 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

More JOs for Leeds then.

I am not sure broadcasting is a good future-proof trade any more. Although Channel 4 is doing OK at the moment, many aren't. Like everything it's getting tougher.

Cats rule.

Where is cheaper to live, London or Leeds?

It depends entirely on your lifestyle.  It could easily be more expensive for a given person to relocate from London to Leeds.

46 minutes ago, copydude said:

I think we know how that would go.

GE versus Farage and Conservatives get 26 seats.

Everything is pointing to what I suggested - labour today trying to prevent the possibility of no deal (even though no deal wouldn't happen anyway). Juncker stating again today that the withdrawal agreement is not up for negotiation (he knows UK wouldn't allow no deal). Johnson, in a few months time, will have to say "with a heavy heart, with much regret, we have to have another referendum". There is no other way.

7 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

It depends entirely on your lifestyle.  It could easily be more expensive for a given person to relocate from London to Leeds.

The south’s loss is the north’s gain.

We can send Michael Gove’a department there!

A little further I hope. Send the whole fecking lot, all 650 of them, to the seas beyond Land's End and cast them adrift with an arrow to the White House for navigation.