House Price Crash Forum

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

25 minutes ago, slawek said:

I doubt the new PM would survive this. It seems like a checkmate. 

Sure. The Tories can't possibly go to the country again without having delivered Brexit.  On the other hand, a no deal Brexit, whether by default, sleight of hand, hook crook or whatever, is their only real hope.

But not everyone sees it that way:

hunt.jpg

• Replies 145.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GrizzlyDave

• Confusion of VIs

• thehowler

• jonb2

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do.   https://twitter.com/housepricemania

1409 pages....you guys should have your own forum !!!

Oh OK. Shame that really, but hey it looks like @IMHAL helped us both out. Nice repost though, thanks ! Any thoughts ?  

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

The debate has become so polarised - sectarian even - that there's really no centre ground to fight over. Corbs can legitimately argue that he honoured the referendum result by putting a Soft Brexit before the public in these elections, only to have it thrown back in his face. Similarly, on the Tory side the prospect of anyone but a Farage clone taking May's place must be lower than a grasshopper's knee. The Labour Party has really no alternative but to adopt an explcitly Remain posture now, with the sop of a 2nd Ref to Leave voters.

Excellent ... the remain vote can split between Lib Dem and labour, the tories would be toast and TBP could walk all the way to a GE victory

41 minutes ago, moneyfornothing said:

Excellent ... the remain vote can split between Lib Dem and labour, the tories would be toast and TBP could walk all the way to a GE victory

The Peterborough by-election will certainly test this theory. Not long to wait.

26 minutes ago, longgone said:

can it get anymore low from the tories

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7075947/Michael-Gove-offer-FREE-British-nationality-three-million-EU-nationals.html

lets buy some more pro remain  HTB did not work  

Charge our elderly and disabled a tenner every time they renew their blue badge parking permit - plus a doctor's report and two proofs of address/ID. After all someone has to pay for the administration costs!

Hand out British citizenship for free to any EU citizen who can fake a tenancy agreement as only one proof of address will apparently be required. After all you can't expect people to fill out a form, pay a small fee and provide two proofs of address (or get a credit check) to get permanent residency, voting rights and citizenship can you?

I had to fill out a 20 page form to get my father attendance allowance  when he needed social care plus a proof of address, a list of his prescriptions and GP contact details  - he worked here for 45 years and paid taxes - yet filling out a one page settled status application and uploading two forms of id to get permanent residency and Citizenship is just too much of a burden?

Seriously it will be more onerous to open a £100 savings account at your local building society than to get British citizenship for EU nationals if Gove has his way!

Sorry - getting citizenship should require a little more effort than that. Will they be exempt from the £85 'admin fee' for a UK passport too - unlike the rest of us who got it by birth or descent?

Edited by MARTINX9
2 hours ago, prozac said:

Why is Sargon of Akkad in the audience?

That's not Sargon of Swindon. Neck beard is very similar but that's deffo not him, I recognise him a mile off as I've been laughing at him for quite a few years on youtube.

38 minutes ago, what said:

So here in Germany, Brits will not be given permanent residency and the very best Brits here can hope for is a 3 year temporary residency permit.  

Unless rich enough to buy a residency and can afford private health care?.......all poor or uneducated social mobility will be removed?.....that is what we voted for?;)

6 hours ago, longgone said:

can it get anymore low from the tories

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7075947/Michael-Gove-offer-FREE-British-nationality-three-million-EU-nationals.html

lets buy some more pro remain  HTB did not work  

If gove only knew what a ******* he is ...hours after the tories are crushed he comes up with this......

No thought..no analysis....no debate.....the man who agreed to stand behind Boris.....and then changed the plan....

weasel doesn't cut it  to to describe him........coud have used tht as a negotiation tool with the EU ...nah let's just toss that infor free....what a *********(insert word of choice)

This has made me boil with anger...i suggest the out of touch loon who has a permanent surprised look on his face check out the comments on that article....nah too much work huh Gove ?

Edited by Spindler
3 minutes ago, Spindler said:

If gove only knew what a ******* he is ...hours after the tories are crushed he comes up with this......

No thought..no analysis....no debate.....the man who agreed to stand behind Boris.....and then changed the plan....

weasel doesn't cut it  to to describe him........coud have used tht as a negotiation tool with the EU ...nah let's just toss that infor free....what a *********(inssert word of choice)

Absolutely ridiculous.

Germany have said that Brits will only be allowed to stay temporary and Gove has decided to give out passports like confetti at a wedding.

4 minutes ago, what said:

Absolutely ridiculous.

Germany have said that Brits will only be allowed to stay temporary and Gove has decided to give out passports like confetti at a wedding.

As you know getting a German passport is not easy....and Gove comes up with this less than 24 hours after the EU elections drubbing for the tories....can someone from the 1922 committee take him into a room and just slap him across the mouth

from the comments:

Makes no difference what he offers or doesn't offer. I will NEVER vote for them ever again... They are #torysarefinished

This chap would even sell his own grandmother to satisfy his own desire and ambitions.

He's really a Labour supporter if he thinks like that. Well he's killed his chances of the top job and done even more harm to the conservatives.

Edited by Spindler
8 minutes ago, what said:

Absolutely ridiculous.

He’s simply honouring the promise of Vote Leave that EU nationals studying, working and living in the UK were welcome to stay. 

If you have a problem with that and voted leave then you clearly didn’t know nor understand what you we’re voting for. That’s what is absolutely ridiculous. 

8 hours ago, slawek said:

That is even worse than what TM tried to do. Con/BP voters will be furious.  I doubt the new PM would survive this. It seems like a checkmate. 

Why not just make the withdrawal agreement the default?

Surely there would be a majority in the commons for that.

Edited by what
16 minutes ago, Spindler said:

As you know getting a German passport is not easy....and Gove comes up with this less than 24 hours after the EU elections drubbing for the tories....can someone from the 1922 committee take him into a room and just slap him across the mouth

from the comments:

Makes no difference what he offers or doesn't offer. I will NEVER vote for them ever again... They are #torysarefinished

This chap would even sell his own grandmother to satisfy his own desire and ambitions.

He's really a Labour supporter if he thinks like that. Well he's killed his chances of the top job and done even more harm to the conservatives.

The Tories are finished.

It’s fantastic :D

8 hours ago, moneyfornothing said:

7 hours ago, copydude said:

The Peterborough by-election will certainly test this theory. Not long to wait.

Yep. If the Brexit Party wants to form a government they should be able to win seats like Peterborough (61-39 for leave in 2016).

9 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

The Tories are finished.

It’s fantastic :D

They have not helped themselves to be honest, bleeding voters.....some of the leavers went for BP, many of the remainers went for LD and Green....;)

55 minutes ago, winkie said:

They have not helped themselves to be honest, bleeding voters.....some of the leavers went for BP, many of the remainers went for LD and Green....;)

I think 20+ years ago the Tories stood up for your white collar manager/worker types, your middle classes.

But this has been hollowed out, by house prices, pension and job erosion, an cultural an societal changes seeing the breakdown of the traditional family unit.

More and more of their core vote are leaving the wasteland they have created, leaving retired guilded edged pensioners, and the tax avoiding elite as their residual voting platform.

You can’t construct an egalitarian society from just supporting that subset of society. So they will continue to be undesirable to their former core voter.

Add in the mix that the young have well and truly been handed a used sick bag of a country and no apology; why the feck would they ever, EVER vote Tory?

I think they are on the path to extinction. This is fantastic!

Edited by GrizzlyDave
7 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Charge our elderly and disabled a tenner every time they renew their blue badge parking permit - plus a doctor's report and two proofs of address/ID. After all someone has to pay for the administration costs!

Hand out British citizenship for free to any EU citizen who can fake a tenancy agreement as only one proof of address will apparently be required. After all you can't expect people to fill out a form, pay a small fee and provide two proofs of address (or get a credit check) to get permanent residency, voting rights and citizenship can you?

I had to fill out a 20 page form to get my father attendance allowance  when he needed social care plus a proof of address, a list of his prescriptions and GP contact details  - he worked here for 45 years and paid taxes - yet filling out a one page settled status application and uploading two forms of id to get permanent residency and Citizenship is just too much of a burden?

Seriously it will be more onerous to open a £100 savings account at your local building society than to get British citizenship for EU nationals if Gove has his way!

Sorry - getting citizenship should require a little more effort than that. Will they be exempt from the £85 'admin fee' for a UK passport too - unlike the rest of us who got it by birth or descent?

He is a complete lunatic who writes his speech’s 

21 hours ago, winkie said:

Europe has been used as the scapegoat.....if I could point a finger as to why so many feel disaffected it is because large parts of our country the people have felt ignored and forgotten...we have huge pockets of wealthy living in the south and London who have nice train lines, bridges and airports built for them, money thrown at them, jobs given to them, services created for them.....post code lottery in so many ways....special flowers grow in special places.....you do not see that kind of inequality divide in other European countries.;)

exactly

15 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I think they are on the path to extinction. This is fantastic!

Be careful what you wish for.

If we have a GE and Farage is still around I suspect their policies will be of the libertarian/ neoliberal stripe - in other words just the sort of policies that Leavers were voting against! 

9 minutes ago, crouch said:

Be careful what you wish for.

If we have a GE and Farage is still around I suspect their policies will be of the libertarian/ neoliberal stripe - in other words just the sort of policies that Leavers were voting against! 

This is true, although BP was mainly a protest vote from what I can tell, so the number of seats in a General would be far less.

Perhaps Nigel Farage is the Geert Wilders of UK politics, likely to remain popular with a hardened core set of voters, but in HOP other parties looking to form coalitions May shun the BP even if it means a minority government. 

i think this time is different...come the next GE the landscape has changed many BP supporters will not switch back to labour or Tories as they have done....if the GE comes before October that is especially true...so Labour should be careful what it wishes for !