Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Have we heard anything from Farage about British Steel, for instance? Massive Leave voting constituency, left behind economically; strategic industry, national champions etc.

Perfect case for the Brexit Party to expand on. So where's the support?

I would be interested to see how Mr Farage is greeted in Scunthorpe.....I have no idea which way that would go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bruce Banner said:

Hardly an argument, more a matter of opinion.

The only argument I see is whether or not democracy ended in 2016.

Remain has lost the battle for hearts and minds IMO, just switch on the telly to see remainers stuttering out the same old rubbish as the political reality just races away from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Spindler said:

we don;t get to vote for the queen unfortunately.....1.59 explains you dont vote for kings(or queens)

 

 

Yes, and some want us not to be able to vote for Brexit either, if the establishment got their way we wouldn`t be voting on anything, so vote Brexit party now while you still can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, pig said:

Sure  how the vote splits between Leave/Remain might be say something  ....but your analysis is of course completely messed up and tendentious. 

Clearly you are suddenly interested in democracy because specifically the Brexit Party should do well. You are keen to ban it in the case of a 2nd ref for fear democracy rejects Brexiter cr4p.

Pretty corrupt and unprincipled if you ask me.

Unlike of course your analysis that we should have a second ref. (because you don`t like the result) before we enact the first one - that is truly principled I must say :lol: Thankfully it doesn`t look like the voting public are going to fall for it 🙃

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

I just don't get the 'No Deal' hysteria. All that means is that we Leave and then we Deal. After all, that's the only way we get "Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pig said:

Heard him on R4 Today - did not know whether to laugh or cry.

Hes written a book about ‘Great Victorians’, which by all accounts is utter utter tripe designed to self-aggrandise and post-rationalise  his outlook.

We’re in the grip of an institutional insanity that would be barely credible in fiction.

 

He's like Farage and the rest of them. Dollar signs in his eyes and completely out of touch.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/19/jacob-rees-mogg-book-the-victorians-12-titans-who-forged-britain

How anybody can argue that Brexit is a shout against the elites when you look at the mob running it is the funniest of jokes. Now that we are living in an age of total denial - how's about we start a war with China? After all we're British don't you know! Bound to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dorkins said:

When did you last vote for the Queen? :huh:

Parliament is sovereign so the royal family serves no purpose. Abolish their constitutional role and put them on JSA and housing benefit. If the Scots have any sense they will leave as a republic like the Irish did.

It was a joke, not a very funny one though because obviously certain elements in the country don`t want votes on other issues as well (if they lose that is)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

I would be interested to see how Mr Farage is greeted in Scunthorpe.....I have no idea which way that would go.

He has not mentioned the Japanese either. He doesn't give a monkeys what happens after Brexit. His only input when asked for his grand vision is to privatise healthcare.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about our Nige - he'll have a new uniform.

https://newsthump.com/2019/05/20/brexit-party-to-avoid-further-unfortunate-milkshake-incidents-with-new-protective-uniform/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Riedquat said:

aI'm often one for preferring to live in the past, not being terribly enamoured with the present or likely future, but I do get rather tired of people who hold grudges about things that they weren't on the receiving end of, directing those grudges towards people who didn't have anything to do with them. Why not have a go at the Italians about the Roman Occupation while we're at it? Have they compensated us yet for the actions of Julius Caesar?

Indian's do remember their countries recent past and Modi has stoked a revival of interest in the impact of colonialism, how the richest country in the world was impoverished by it  and the brutality of British rule.

Those thinking that the Indian's have some love for the British that will somehow be of benefit to us are deluding themselves, until recently the Indian's had a grudging respect for the British but the current shambles has pretty much destroyed that.

A couple of year's ago an Indian colleague told me that back home most people we watching the British attempt to leave the EU with amusement, wondering how their old masters had got themselves into such a mess. If they were amused then they must be rolling in the isles by now.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, zugzwang said:

I voted Leave but changed my mind when the Leave argument got hi-jacked by the Far Right. I could never in good conscience vote for Farage.

On the other hand, I still believe the referendum result has to be respected; the idea of a confirmatory vote makes me uneasy. We have to leave. The immediate impact of a Soft Brexit would be economically negative but the difference could soon be made up were the govt to start spending again at a reasonable clip.

So, Labour gets my vote as the best of a no-good bunch, with Common Market 2.0 (without a 2nd Ref) as my ideal compromise. But really, Labour's focus should have been on Freedom of Capital and the grotesque inequalities that follow from it rather than Freedom of Movement. Restrict FoC and the immigration issue would cure itself.

 

All good points, although Farage is the only politician I could vote for, maybe JC (but only for the chaos he would bring to disrupt the bailed out debt ponzi) IMO we are heading for No Deal as the only realistic way out now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

Remain has lost the battle for hearts and minds IMO, just switch on the telly to see remainers stuttering out the same old rubbish as the political reality just races away from them.

If Brexit happens then I pray that it is the hardest of hard versions so that I can enjoy watching the smug smiles of the Brexiteers fade as they realise what they have done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Indian's do remember their countries recent past and Modi has stoked a revival of interest in the impact of colonialism, how the richest country in the world was impoverished by it  and the brutality of British rule.

Those thinking that the Indian's have some love for the British that will somehow be of benefit to us are deluding themselves, until recently the Indian's had a grudging respect for the British but the current shambles has pretty much destroyed that.

A couple of year's ago an Indian colleague told me that back home most people we watching the British attempt to leave the EU with amusement, wondering how their old masters had got themselves into such a mess. If they were amused then they must be rolling in the isles by now.   

Grrrr... What is it with you and greengrocer's apostrophes? That's one in every sentence above! Makes you look poorly educated.

It would be hard to rebuild ties with India, but there are very strong IT ties already - every management consultant I know works a lot with people from India. The conglomerates such as Tata are already here. 

Yes, our history will take a long time to overcome. But it's far less nutty than trying to be best buddies with China. We have to choose between the US & China, and it's obvious which one we must. We don't need to choose between the US & India.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

Do you think that trying to overturn a democratic vote is playing games with peoples lives (and votes, that people died on the beaches for remember)? TM has played her remainer cards well, even managing to slip in a second referendum just as she is about to be dragged away from her post screaming "Long Live the EU!" Nice try but not enough I`m afraid, there is a real and building anger at this assault on democracy by political "elites" and that anger is about to be expressed at the ballot box this week.

It now looks like that in the end it will boil down to a choice between Remain and a "No deal" supported by maybe 40% of the country, probably less once it becomes apparent that no deal is an oxymoron and we will still have to pay the EU their money and agree to much of the WA to get the deals we need to keep trade flowing.

Good luck to any party that pushes that through at the 22 general election, nicely timed to be at what will probably be peak pain for the economy.   

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

If Brexit happens then I pray that it is the hardest of hard versions so that I can enjoy watching the smug smiles of the Brexiteers fade as they realise what they have done.

I 100% agree BB.

But they will just continue to blame others, as it's in their DNA. Farage will say it's the EU's fault and his cult followers will agree with him.

If we don't remain, I too want the very hardest Brexit for exactly the same reason as you. To laugh as the country goes down the plughole is the only bright side worth looking forward to.

In fact, tee-shirts with "I TOLD YOU SO" with a happy face meme will be a good business. At least we'll that over 50% of the country who will buy and wear them.

This country is wrecked. What's worse is that there is nobody who can reverse it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

Do you think that trying to overturn a democratic vote is playing games with peoples lives (and votes, that people died on the beaches for remember)? TM has played her remainer cards well, even managing to slip in a second referendum just as she is about to be dragged away from her post screaming "Long Live the EU!" Nice try but not enough I`m afraid, there is a real and building anger at this assault on democracy by political "elites" and that anger is about to be expressed at the ballot box this week.

People dying on the beaches was because of Fascism in Europe. Their deaths is not something Leavers can site to support Brexit in any way. Brexit is a far right wet dream with lashings of Fascism lurking in its background.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Confusion of VIs said:

It now looks like that in the end it will boil down to a choice between Remain and a "No deal" supported by maybe 40% of the country, probably less once it becomes apparent that no deal is an oxymoron and we will still have to pay the EU their money and agree to much of the WA to get the deals we need to keep trade flowing.

Good luck to any party that pushes that through at the 22 general election, nicely timed to be at what will probably be peak pain for the economy.   

 

It will be a choice between an early GE or No Deal IMO, but the Tories will cling to power as long as they can ( just look at TM shamelessly clinging to the mast as they try to get her hands off the wheel) and that will end up in No Deal (IMO)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, highYield said:

Grrrr... What is it with you and greengrocer's apostrophes? That's one in every sentence above! Makes you look poorly educated.

It would be hard to rebuild ties with India, but there are very strong IT ties already - every management consultant I know works a lot with people from India. The conglomerates such as Tata are already here. 

Yes, our history will take a long time to overcome. But it's far less nutty than trying to be best buddies with China. We have to choose between the US & China, and it's obvious which one we must. We don't need to choose between the US & India.

Don't know it just appeared, you might have noticed by now that my posts are not proof read before being posted (some of us have jobs to do). 

I work a lot with Indians, probably recruited at least a hundred over the years, and while you might be right about any animosity fading over time (although Modi being reelected won't help this) the claim that they have some special love for the British that we can use to our advantage is beyond ridiculous.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, dances with sheeple said:

Really? The prevailing opinion on lots of media now is that the EU bluff fails when No Deal is a credible threat, they will be back round the table straight away IMO. Lets see the election results first for a clearer picture of where the EU is heading though.

The EU have already decided their position on "no deal". They will not open negotiation on the "no deal" deal until we agree to accept the parts of the WA they are most interested in.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

People dying on the beaches was because of Fascism in Europe. Their deaths is not something Leavers can site to support Brexit in any way. Brexit is a far right wet dream with lashings of Fascism lurking in its background.

Politicians of all parties have used it as a mantra for why we should all vote, for decades, then when we vote in a way they don`t like suddenly anyone asking for the original ref. to be respected is a "fascist" and a "bigot". You couldn`t make it up. We voted, Leave won, respect the vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

The EU have already decided their position on "no deal". They will not open negotiation on the "no deal" deal until we agree to accept the parts of the WA they are most interested in.  

 

They will when they get hammered in the elections and NO Deal is a real threat, not just a panto prop used by a PM who is essentially working for the EU interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter Hun said:

Every one of those sites is based in India. Those are the opinions of Indians themselves. So in your opinion Indians are bigots for not agreeing with you on the exploitation of India by the British?

You speak for the whole of India now?

Because of a few links?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 225 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.