House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

14 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Lest we forget.

Here he goes again everyone. Invoking unrelated emotions on our past dead so that if you argue against him you look like you're disrespecting our fallen.

I'm not going to hold back, I find this tactic despicable. 

17 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Some people would say that the answer to that is to merge those two villages into one big town, then they're all together.

Don't, however, make the mistake of thinking that not wanting to integrate with our neighbours is the same as not being able to get on with them.

Have you heard the comparisons your Brexit government leaders have come out with? Nazis and Stalin's USSR Gulag stuff.

You're living in a cocoon if you think we will have a good relationship with Europe after all the shit that's been thrown at them.

Edited by jonb2

3 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Here he goes again everyone. Invoking unrelated emotions on our past dead so that if you argue against him you look like you're disrespecting our fallen.

I'm not going to hold back, I find this tactic despicable. 

The observation was regard to the comments on America’s war fighting. The photo (US troops storming Omaha beach) is particularly poignant given the 75th anniversary of D Day on 6th June.

I’ll let you reflect on that.

35 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

That's a very garbled understanding of how the EU institutions work.

What part has the only elected EU layer, the Parliament, played in an executive decision such as Brexit? Really very little, other than to rubber stamp a few minor issues. 

The European Council seems to be mostly where it's at, spearheaded by the Franco-German alliance. The Council of the European Union is appointed - at home - by the members of the European Council.

Then there's the European Commission, the least democratic layer (vying with the ECJ for that title).

52 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Being uninterested and not caring is not ignorance - it is indifference.

Just because the ignorance might be intentional, that doesn't make it any less ignorant, or misguided.

23 minutes ago, highYield said:

What part has the only elected EU layer, the Parliament, played in an executive decision such as Brexit? Really very little, other than to rubber stamp a few minor issues. 

The European Council seems to be mostly where it's at, spearheaded by the Franco-German alliance. The Council of the European Union is appointed - at home - by the members of the European Council.

Then there's the European Commission, the least democratic layer (vying with the ECJ for that title).

Your metaphor of "layers" is not enlightening at all.

Brexit is an executive decision by the UK, and unlike the Commission, the European Parliament has a veto on any deal.

Edited by thecrashingisles

10 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Just because the ignorance might be intentional, that doesn't make it any less ignorant, or misguided.

Nonsense.

28 minutes ago, highYield said:

There is no perfect democracy. The EU is a manifestation of one form of democracy and functions as the member states (us) designed it to.The fact that you have Brits arguing that the EU is undemocratic when our own system is much worse is laughable.

1 minute ago, dugsbody said:

There is no perfect democracy. The EU is a manifestation of one form of democracy and functions as the member states (us) designed it to.The fact that you have Brits arguing that the EU is undemocratic when our own system is much worse is laughable.

The EU is (largely) undemocratic. The UK political system is also undemocratic.

Which is the least democratic? Open to argument. 

But if our own system is, as you claim, much worse - why should we inflict it's malign influence on our European neighbours, though the domestic-government-appointed layers (European Council, Council of the European Union [and perhaps] the European Commission, and the European Court of Justice)?

We've been in the Coal & Steel Community / EU for more than four decades. If our own system is still much worse, after all that time, perhaps it's time to try something else?

2 minutes ago, highYield said:

The EU is (largely) undemocratic. The UK political system is also undemocratic.

Which is the least democratic? Open to argument. 

But if our own system is, as you claim, much worse - why should we inflict it's malign influence on our European neighbours, though the domestic-government-appointed layers (European Council, Council of the European Union [and perhaps] the European Commission, and the European Court of Justice)?

We've been in the Coal & Steel Community / EU for more than four decades. If our own system is still much worse, after all that time, perhaps it's time to try something else?

The EU is not undemocratic. 

And the rest of your post is the usual post-hoc justification for an already formed view. It doesn't tie up logically that you'd look at the UK system and expect leaving the EU to fix it. But that's obviously the meme you've latched onto and you're going to hammer it.

12 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

The EU is not undemocratic. 

And the rest of your post is the usual post-hoc justification for an already formed view. It doesn't tie up logically that you'd look at the UK system and expect leaving the EU to fix it. But that's obviously the meme you've latched onto and you're going to hammer it.

One can't expect much in this life. Apart from the old death & taxes.

I'd guess that change is more likely as a result of the Brexit vote - it seems to have [changed/created unprecedented interest in] politics already. And we haven't even left yet.  

1 hour ago, GrizzlyDave said:

The observation was regard to the comments on America’s war fighting. The photo (US troops storming Omaha beach) is particularly poignant given the 75th anniversary of D Day on 6th June.

I’ll let you reflect on that.

The yanks lost in Korea, lost in Vietnam, failed in Chile and Nicaragua, quit on their stools in Iraq and Syria, made an almighty horlicks of Afghanistan. Arrived three years late for WWII, having been beguiled by that charming Mr Hitler, and would have lost that too were it not for the Russians.

SNP's Ian Blackford "The only thing we’ve learned from today’s latest fudge from the 1922 Committee is that Theresa May is so incompetent that she can’t even resign properly."

47 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

The yanks lost in Korea, lost in Vietnam, failed in Chile and Nicaragua, quit on their stools in Iraq and Syria, made an almighty horlicks of Afghanistan. Arrived three years late for WWII, having been beguiled by that charming Mr Hitler, and would have lost that too were it not for the Russians.

Thankfully there are still plenty who remain profoundly grateful for the bravery and sacrifice of US troops in helping liberate Europe.

Steel-M1-helmets-worn-by-US-Army-soldier

architecture-3120196_1280.jpg

55844666.jpg

Edited by GrizzlyDave

5 hours ago, winkie said:

Are we nearly there yet, or is it the road nowhere...fourth time lucky?.......I should be so lucky.....maybe we will, maybe we won't......;)

I would say yes.

Labour have now good reason to support the WA and keep May in place to do what she has been doing last 3 years - delivering Brexit.

What's not to like?

Theresa May has promised to set a timetable for the election of her successor after the next Brexit vote.

If she loses the vote on her Brexit plan, already rejected three times, sources told the BBC she would resign.

BBC

On 5/14/2019 at 12:27 PM, GrizzlyDave said:

By all means share some actual JOs which rebuff these figures.

I am sure you know what I do for a living.  Grads are earning 35k in Bristol GD, London more.  £80/90k plus bens for Data Engineers with Hadoop, Spark, Scala, Python etc.  That used to be the enclave of the banks but this is standards now.

I am currently doing some tech work (I do it occasionally to keep my hand in for tech advances) and I am on £740 a day in London/WFH. My wife is close to getting back on the IT wagon and is being pursued at up to 6 figures as a DBA....

Thew money you're talking about doesn't resonate with the industry to be honest with you.

17 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Thankfully there are still plenty who remain profoundly grateful for the bravery and sacrifice of US troops in helping liberate Europe.

"We cannot aim at anything less than the union of Europe as a whole."

6 hours ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

… and guns?  :)

I see CH admin are covering their bases (15/05/19):

https://www.admin.ch/gov/en/start/documentation/media-releases.msg-id-75040.html

Who knows, perhaps the EEA/EFTA (Flexcit) will prevail? 

Most Swiss dislike military service, but see it as a necessary evil - a lot opt out of it, in exchange for paying slightly higher taxes. Enforced shooting practice regularly until middle age takes any glamour off guns.

Just thought of another way that the nimble, EU-free Swiss will profit from their signing up to the Chinese Belt & Road colonial asset grab - tunneling. Together with their state owned national rail system resultant, exportable, expertise - the Swiss are among the world's experts in tunneling - and also creating custom machine tools (origin from watches). Which can make tunelling machines - and much else.

German tunelling engineers, tunelling machine manufactures & the state owned national rail network must be clamouring to sign up to China's BRI.

Would obviously be terrible for e,g, Greece, as the Chinese would gobble their entire infrastructure up.

Will be interesting to see how the EU can square that circle.

2 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Here you go, read this so you can understand how Germany and France maybe/not able to jointly operate their carrier.

https://thinpinstripedline.blogspot.com/search?q=Aircraft+carrier+germany&m=1

Thanks - I will have a good look - a skim through and it looks informative.

One early spot though is this discusses a Franco-German ACC. Is this the same as an EU carrier, or not? This is all unclear.

To my mind An EU ACC would be commanded by the EU.

Kramp-Karrenbauer, who leads the Christian Democratic Union since Merkel stepped down from that job last fall...

“Germany and France already are working on a future European combat aircraft, where other nations are invited to join,” Kramp-Karrenbauer wrote, referring to the Future Combat Air System, or FCAS. “As a next step, we could start the symbolic project of building an aircraft carrier to give shape to the role of the European Union as a global force for security and peace.”

https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2019/03/11/the-strange-case-of-a-european-aircraft-carrier/

52 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Steel-M1-helmets-worn-by-US-Army-soldier

architecture-3120196_1280.jpg

55844666.jpg

All that effort, all those lives, wasted on those who don't appreciate that hard fought peace and the mechanisms that have been constructed to ensure that it continues.

1 minute ago, IMHAL said:

All that effort, all those lives, wasted on those who don't appreciate that hard fought peace and the mechanisms that have been constructed to ensure that it continues.

Well said.

Thank you NATO.

13 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

To my mind An EU ACC would be commanded by the EU.

"To my mind"

That says it all.  You're not interested in what is actually proposed as you've got your imaginary bogeyman lined up already.