House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

24 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

It really isn't.  If you mean what you say about wanting a good life for your children and grandchildren, you can't act as if Britain exists in splendid isolation.  We have never in our history been detached from the politics of our continent and it's deluded to think that we could ever be.

Who knows how I would think in that historical situation. Think about a modern parable.

Do I care about North Korean Politics - yes

Do I care about Venezuelan politics - yes

Do I care about Lichtensteins politics - no

33 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Nations have carriers.

Who orders an aircraft carrier?

Macron sent the CDG to Syria.

Putin sent the Admiral Kuznetsov to Syria.

Trump has sent the Abraham Lincolm to the Persian Gulf.

-

So who would send the EU carrier to war?

I don't know, Tusk?

I like Tusk, good honest worker.

7 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I dream that my children will be able to afford a house, get my grand kids into good schools, and see a doctor when they need to. ...

Jeez, that's a bit radical, they'll brand you an extreamist for those kind of dreams. Or a throw back to the 1970s, imagine...

6 hours ago, crouch said:

In 2015 Merkel opened the door to immigrants, an astoundingly and uncharacteristic error. The idea that Europe was going to be flooded by a wave of immigrants undermining the culture is ammunition to the likes of Orban....

We can thank the US medling toward arab state destabilisation and NATO airstrikes in Libya and Syria for that timely pulse of asylum seeking imagration. Which partly fueled some aspects of the Brexit argument pre 2016 ref.
The EU should have stood up to US
warmongering and prevented it happening in 'our' back yard and is now destabilising many European gov'ts.

Just now, GrizzlyDave said:

Who knows how I would think in that historical situation. Think about a modern parable.

Do I care about North Korean Politics - yes

Do I care about Venezuelan politics - yes

Do I care about Lichtensteins politics - no

This is the kind of thinking that has got Britain into trouble before - thinking of our closest neighbours as "faraway places of which we know little" but worrying about the Hindu Kush.

7 minutes ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

We can thank the US medling toward arab state destabilisation and NATO airstrikes in Libya and Syria for that timely pulse of asylum seeking imagration. Which partly fueled some aspects of the Brexit argument pre 2016 ref.
The EU should have stood up to US
warmongering and prevented it happening in 'our' back yard and is now destabilising many European gov'ts.

Absolutely right. Looks like Iran next.

3 minutes ago, crouch said:

Absolutely right. Looks like Iran next.

One should never say never when the tangerine ape is involved. But I doubt it.

The Iranians have the means to defend themselves; the yanks are absolutely hopeless at fighting wars.

16 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

This is the kind of thinking that has got Britain into trouble before - thinking of our closest neighbours as "faraway places of which we know little" but worrying about the Hindu Kush.

1dbeaabf3f44d490d3dcb37c307f4b4e.jpg

3 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

Do you care about German politics?

I do. As they elect the most powerful person in the most powerful political layer of the EU, the European Council - probably prime amongst our many EU political overlord layers (with the exception of the unelected judges in the ECJ, chosen by the variously & differently elected government representatives*)

* Should I feel all warm, gooey & represented because my glorious leader, Madame May, favours some ex-QC flunkey?

2 minutes ago, highYield said:

I do. As they elect the most powerful person in the most powerful political layer of the EU, the European Council - probably prime amongst our many EU political overlord layers (with the exception of the unelected judges in the ECJ, chosen by the variously & differently elected government representatives*)

* Should I feel all warm, gooey & represented because my glorious leader, Madame May, favours some ex-QC flunkey?

When the EU didn't exist who led Germany also tended to have a profound effect on us too...

1 hour ago, jonb2 said:

Yeah, we should just tell the USA to feck off. But Johnson is bound to be choosing his leather trousers and checking bend-over-big-desk poses in his full length mirror right now.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/us-military-disputes-british-generals-doubts-over-iranian-threat-to-us-38113738.html

An habitual liar but Johnson's shameless populism sets up an attractive three-way split on the centre-right. Attractive, that is, if you intend to vote Labour.

The Tory Boys vs the Sunset Club vs the Rapelords.

Each of them vying to 'out nasty' the other two. What a choice.

13 minutes ago, winkie said:

Why some villages have never liked or got on with the village next door, even Scotland and Wales part of our union we sometimes can not see eye to eye.....maybe it is in our culture not to like what we don't know, do not understand or feel are a threat...... can't get on with our neighbours, how do we expect to get on with the rest of the world.....no man is an island.....;)

Some people would say that the answer to that is to merge those two villages into one big town, then they're all together.

Don't, however, make the mistake of thinking that not wanting to integrate with our neighbours is the same as not being able to get on with them.

4 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Finger prints, a card who knows......just making sure low paid people get paid fairly for the work that they do.......others might get paid a lot more then their time has already been paid for.....no overtime in the contract the salary covers for 24/7.....;)

28 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

People who know little about each other (as long as one isn't in the position to colonise the other) tend to ignore each other. You need a lot of similarity to get a really good feud going.

Just now, Riedquat said:

People who know little about each other (as long as one isn't in the position to colonise the other) tend to ignore each other. You need a lot of similarity to get a really good feud going.

The point is that the sentiment is a delusion.  Ignorance doesn't make us immune from the influence of the world around us.

2 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Some people would say that the answer to that is to merge those two villages into one big town, then they're all together.

Don't, however, make the mistake of thinking that not wanting to integrate with our neighbours is the same as not being able to get on with them.

What is it then, competition, strength, fear, better resources, higher pay, more supporters......top of the league?;)

4 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

When the EU didn't exist who led Germany also tended to have a profound effect on us too...

Yes, but the leader of Germany wasn't - until the EU - the prime overlord of the most powerful layer of an institution which is (currently) legally supreme over the UK.

The UK hands over all our trade & negotiating power to the EU, evidently becoming incompetent at both.

The EU works in the interests of it's most powerful blocks. The Germans sell lots of cars, the French get lots of CAP money to help export wine & cheese, and the British (FPTP elected) politicians work for an expansion of the EU into EE, then they cave to the (unelected) BoE demand to grab as many bright young educated things from the furriners to make up for our own non-Etonian educational shortfall (AKA those stupid ill educated leavers).

9 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Nicely put!

3 minutes ago, highYield said:

Yes, but the leader of Germany wasn't - until the EU - the prime overlord of the most powerful layer of an institution which is (currently) legally supreme over the UK.

That's a very garbled understanding of how the EU institutions work.

23 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

The Iranians have the means to defend themselves; the yanks are absolutely hopeless at fighting wars.

I don't think that's stopped them in the past.

13 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

The point is that the sentiment is a delusion.  Ignorance doesn't make us immune from the influence of the world around us.

Being uninterested and not caring is not ignorance - it is indifference.

31 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

One should never say never when the tangerine ape is involved. But I doubt it.

Lest we forget.

Into_the_Jaws_of_Death_23-0455M_edit.jpg

98,000 more EU workers employed in UK compared to one year previous:

• There were an estimated 2.38 million EU nationals working in the UK, 98,000 more than for a year earlier.

• There were an estimated 1.32 million non-EU nationals working in the UK, 80,000 more than for a year earlier.

• The number of EU nationals working in the UK has reached a record high

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/articles/ukandnonukpeopleinthelabourmarket/may2019

39 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

An habitual liar but Johnson's shameless populism sets up an attractive three-way split on the centre-right. Attractive, that is, if you intend to vote Labour.

The Tory Boys vs the Sunset Club vs the Rapelords.

Each of them vying to 'out nasty' the other two. What a choice.

The Brexit boys are as bent as a 9 bob note. They will do anything to turn this place into the USA.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/big-tobacco-funding-conservatives-nhs-hancock-raab-davis-a8916561.html