House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

9 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I know.

We are talking about the breakup of the EU.

Try to keep up.

How can I keep up with this catastrophising line of thinking that has a huge obvious gap in the middle?

1. Eurozone financial crisis, one or more countries leave the euro to regain monetary policy.

2. ???

3. EU abolished

Edited by Dorkins

5 minutes ago, crouch said:

And the size of the economies of these countries?

Why would size matter when you want to split a currency? It's the same redenomination process.

2 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Why would it no longer exist?  The body of EU law would still exist in all circumstances, and there would still be value in maintaining it as the basis of cooperation, no matter what happens.

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

We are taking about a collapse of the EU.

Who enforces laws of extinct organisations?

Does Soviet law still apply in Belarus?

15 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I’m not hysterical about an EU aircraft carrier, of which remainers are in complete denial over.

LOL No one apart from you cares whether or not the EU wants/gets an aircraft carrier.

Although if they do, it would be a chance to offload one of our 2 oversized under equiped carriers

8 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

How can I keep up with this catastrophising line of thinking that has a huge obvious gap in the middle?

1. Eurozone financial crisis, one or more countries leave the euro to regain monetary policy.

2. ???

3. EU abolished

Collapse of the Roman Empire

Collapse of the Ottoman Empire

Collapse of the Soviet Empire

Edit: Collapse of the British Empire!

Collapse of the EU Empire.

Don’t let hubris cloud your perspective.

Edited by GrizzlyDave

1 minute ago, Confusion of VIs said:

LOL No one apart from you cares whether or not the EU wants/gets an aircraft carrier.

Although if they do, it would be a chance to offload one of our 2 oversized under equiped carriers

First they came forth with aircraft carrier proposals, and I did not speak out, because I’m not interested in aircraft carrier proposals...

6 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Perhaps. Perhaps not.

We are taking about a collapse of the EU.

Who enforces laws of extinct organisations?

Does Soviet law still apply in Belarus?

There's no perhaps about it.  Why do you think stage one of any Brexit plan is to make sure existing EU law still operates in the UK?

The Soviet Union was a totalitarian communist dictatorship in which the economy was owned and operated by the state.  There's no comparison at all between the break up of the USSR and this scenario.

7 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Edit: Collapse of the British Empire!

On that timescale the EU is only just getting started, and you won't live to see the day when it might be superseded by something else.

1 minute ago, thecrashingisles said:

There's no perhaps about it.  Why do you think stage one of any Brexit plan is to make sure existing EU law still operates in the UK?

The Soviet Union was a totalitarian communist dictatorship in which the economy was owned and operated by the state.  There's no comparison at all between the break up of the USSR and this scenario.

The Soviet breakup is one of many. History is littered with collapsed Empires. To think the EU is immune to this, to think the EU can’t break up, is foolish and naive. It’s utter hubris.

HUBRIS.

Our parliament is full of remainers who don’t want to leave. But where EU law begins to be perceived as not working for the interests of the UK then a ‘war of laws’ might initiate.

3 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

On that timescale the EU is only just getting started, and you won't live to see the day when it might be superseded by something else.

Who knows - this is all speculation - but history tells us it is possible.

As I said earlier I think a USofE is more likely than the breakup of the EU.

3 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

The Soviet breakup is one of many. History is littered with collapsed Empires. To think the EU is immune to this, to think the EU can’t break up, is foolish and naive. It’s utter hubris.

HUBRIS.

Our parliament is full of remainers who don’t want to leave. But where EU law begins to be perceived as not working for the interests of the UK then a ‘war of laws’ might initiate.

You're misinterpreting my position.  The EU is unique compared to all your other examples because it was developed based on mutual interest, not domination.

19 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Why would size matter when you want to split a currency? It's the same redenomination process.

Size doesn't matter in that context but it does in the context I envisage which is a general recession and/or financial crash which affects all countries in the EZ - as these things do.

And I'm not talking about redenomination of just a currency for ongoing purposes I'm talking about redenomination of debts.

21 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Everything is transient, including nations.

1 hour ago, pig said:

The problem is, lusting after the break down of the EU on the one hand and getting hysterical over a fecking EU aircraft carrier on the other only makes sense if you are Putin.

👆🏻👆👆🏼👆🏾👆🏽

5 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

You're misinterpreting my position.  The EU is unique compared to all your other examples because it was developed based on mutual interest, not domination.

No it isn't unique. Confederations come in all shapes and sizes and they don't usually last, particularly those since 1800.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation

8 minutes ago, crouch said:

No it isn't unique. Confederations come in all shapes and sizes and they don't usually last, particularly those since 1800.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederation

I said "compared to all your other examples", and your link says, "Due to its unique nature, and the political sensitivities surrounding it, there is no common or legal classification for the EU."

8 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

I said "compared to all your other examples", and your link says, "Due to its unique nature, and the political sensitivities surrounding it, there is no common or legal classification for the EU."

Oh come off it! It says in the next sentence that it's a hybrid that bears elements of both confederal and federal systems but it's a good deal nearer confederal than federal.

Really!

1 minute ago, crouch said:

Oh come off it! It says in the next sentence that it's a hybrid that bears elements of both confederal and federal systems but it's a good deal nearer confederal than federal.

Really!

And then it says, "However, academic observers more usually discuss the EU in the terms of it being a federation."

The EU is unique.

37 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

Lol

1 hour ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I don’t want the EU to break down.

I’m not hysterical about an EU aircraft carrier, of which remainers are in complete denial over.

I am however ultra cautious about a USofE; of which I want no part.

LMAO Jesus wept you’ve been almost as messed up in the head over the aircraft carrier as Catalonia !