House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

10 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

They must be switching from diesel. Certainly nothing to do with Brexit.

It's because they had a bill for £600 million FROM THE EU !

BTW, are these EU carbon taxes included in the £350m ?

3 minutes ago, kzb said:

It's because they had a bill for £600 million FROM THE EU !

BTW, are these EU carbon taxes included in the £350m ?

Read it properly.

Like everything else, the government has under-invested - therefore it *would* have had a bill from the EU. The emergency funds were released to sure up hitting its emissions obligations.

Now read the last 2 paragraphs.

Answer me this honestly - if you were living nearby - would you rather the place had low emissions or high ones?

4 hours ago, excon said:

Leave won with the greatest democratic mandate in UK electoral history and if Remain had won by one single vote that would have been the end of the matter for all time.

Parliament voted almost unanimously for the Article 50 withdrawal act.  We then had a general election where all major parties campaigned to uphold the referendum.

If you can't see anything that has been ignored in all that then I would suggest going to read up on basic democracy.

My own personal opinion is the result was massively skewed towards remain given every single political party during the referendum backed that option, we had Obama turning up telling us which way to vote, we had a government backed leaflet going into every household in the country saying the correct option is to remain. Also of course project fear aka the sky will fall in if we leave the EU.

The result would have been far more convincing for leave if it was conducted in free and unbiased manner.

It was also crystal clear, all the major players stated this was a once in a generation vote to leave the EU and all it's institutions.

People absolutely knew what they were voting for.

jbyyGol_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

2 hours ago, smash said:

You stupid or something. Leave means leave.

Walk away, walk away, walk walk away.... that's what they say. 😉

1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

According to the Telegraph:

The company, which employs 4,500 staff mostly at its Scunthorpe steelworks, confirmed it had asked for more cash on top of a £120m loan negotiated with ministers last week to cover its bills for an EU climate credits scheme.

Furthermore in the comments:

The whole steel cost problem emanates from the introduction of Carbon levies resulting from the stupid Climate Change Act. Regardless of EU carbon credits, UK steel production has been hampered by Electricity prices at least twice as high as they would have been had we retained our coal fired energy capacity

The management may blame Brexit, but managements have been known to lie when they have been caught out.

4 hours ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Not a world away from the other other figures. But if you want to use them - fine. Looks like similar wages London/Dublin. Not exactly your grass is greener anecdote. (Though I’m sure Irish grass is greener with all the rain).

Actually I’m a contractor, and I’m also not a software engineer. I thought it might be a helpful comparable.

Don’t worry about me buddy. I’m doing fine.

I’m not sure what that tells us other than you can earn good money in London.

Dublin while expensive is cheaper than London,  good senior people in Dublin are on €100k+

10 minutes ago, onlooker said:

According to the Telegraph:

The company, which employs 4,500 staff mostly at its Scunthorpe steelworks, confirmed it had asked for more cash on top of a £120m loan negotiated with ministers last week to cover its bills for an EU climate credits scheme.

Furthermore in the comments:

The whole steel cost problem emanates from the introduction of Carbon levies resulting from the stupid Climate Change Act. Regardless of EU carbon credits, UK steel production has been hampered by Electricity prices at least twice as high as they would have been had we retained our coal fired energy capacity

The management may blame Brexit, but managements have been known to lie when they have been caught out.

The Tory boys didn't close the coal mines out of concern for the climate!

Scunthorpe voted Leave. Just let it die.

23 minutes ago, yelims said:

Dublin while expensive is cheaper than London,  good senior people in Dublin are on €100k+

And good Senior SW people are on that in London. But granted Dublin must be cheaper.

What kind of property does that buy you in Dublin? What does €500,000 buy you?

27 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

The Tory boys didn't close the coal mines out of concern for the climate!

Scunthorpe voted Leave. Just let it die.

They closed the coal mines because deep mined coal in the UK was hopelessly uncompetitive. This was back in the early 1980s, before anyone had really thought of climate change. Imported coal is very competitive, as long as it is not made uncompetitive by various climate levies. We could have cheap electricity if the Govt allowed it.

(PS Labour closed more coal mines than the Tories)

5 hours ago, excon said:

BTW, welcome to HPC and the Brexit thread. Sorry to be nosey, but is your username from:

- being an ex-conservative

- being an ex-convict

- both of the above 

- something else 

- none of my business

2 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Who needs British Steel anyway..... the knuckle draggers can buy cheap Chinese steel to meet their needs.

Picture 1 of 10

OK HAL, word association time.....

flowers.......... LOVE

european.......TOGETHER

steel...............KNUCKLEDUSTERS

Ah.

27 minutes ago, highYield said:

BTW, welcome to HPC and the Brexit thread. Sorry to be nosey, but is your username from:

- being an ex-conservative

- being an ex-convict

- both of the above 

- something else 

- none of my business

- excellent con man?

4 minutes ago, rollover said:

- excellent con man?

Maybe he's future proofing....

Excruciatingly Conned.

6 hours ago, excon said:

Leave won with the greatest democratic mandate in UK electoral history and if Remain had won by one single vote that would have been the end of the matter for all time.

No it didn't. It was 52% to 48%. Actually a reasonably small victory.

5 hours ago, IMHAL said:

+1

If we are going to leave I want Farage as PM. I want someone who will be held responsible. I don't want any squirming Leavers to have a get-out where they can blame someone else.....

Same. I have anguished over this because I don't wish harm on people, but I've decided that hard brexit would be best. Given a choice, I'd still vote remain, but after that, hard brexit (or no deal if that exists). It is the only way this country will learn. People can't be reasoned with, the only time they change their minds is through experience.

This is interesting, somebody trained a bot using a thread on Reddit called "Culture War" and then got it to simulate a new subreddit:

With almost 4k pages on the HPC Brexit What Happens Next thread I wonder if you could do basically the same thing using this thread as a training set. The thread is often quite botlike with the same arguments coming up over and over again.

Edited by Dorkins

5 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

With almost 4k pages on the HPC Brexit What Happens Next thread I wonder if you could do basically the same thing using this thread as a training set. The thread is often quite botlike with the same arguments coming up over and over again.

Then the bot would be trained in a mad, endless Brexit loop.

Sounds good.

Would save us all a lot of time.

5 minutes ago, highYield said:

Then the bot would be trained in a mad, endless Brexit loop.

Sounds good.

Would save us all a lot of time.

opinion poll, interpretation, another opinion poll, more interpretation, Brexit minister resigns, May must go, May's deal is dead, people knew what they were voting for, another Brexit minister resigns, Project Fear, we will implement what you decide, video of Farage extolling Norway, NI border checks, USofE, EU army, remoaners like AC Grayling meeting Verhofstadt undermined the negotiations, tick tock, Monnet quote about inexorably creating a superstate, young people are brainwashed and old people are experienced, Leave voters are dying off, greatest democratic exercise in UK history, narrow result, BRINO, WTO, ERG...

12 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

opinion poll, interpretation, another opinion poll, more interpretation, Brexit minister resigns, May must go, May's deal is dead, people knew what they were voting for, another Brexit minister resigns, Project Fear, we will implement what you decide, video of Farage extolling Norway, NI border checks, USofE, EU army, remoaners like AC Grayling meeting Verhofstadt undermined the negotiations, tick tock, Monnet quote about inexorably creating a superstate, young people are brainwashed and old people are experienced, Leave voters are dying off, greatest democratic exercise in UK history, narrow result, BRINO, WTO, ERG...

Gammon is wacist.

Stephen Barclay tells John Redwood to STFU..

Edited by Dave Beans

27 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

:lol: LOL ...

…  Indeed it is no doubt because the Withdrawal Agreement ensures we legally cease to be a member, and the impediments to subsequently re-joining, that many of those who wish to remain and support a second referendum voted with you to oppose it. ...

… thanks for posting it.

Edited by Sheeple Splinter
link added

2 hours ago, highYield said:

OK HAL, word association time.....

flowers.......... LOVE

european.......TOGETHER

steel...............KNUCKLEDUSTERS

Ah.

Sometimes, you disappoint me.......DAVE

31 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

A bit odd that May's stooge Barclay should be replying to an e mail from Redwood to the Attorney General. Barclay even says that the AG will be agreeing with him, which might be a bit presumptious. AIUI we have never been permitted to see the full legal analysis of May's deal from the AG. If and when Cox replies to Redwood, that is a letter I look forward to reading.