Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

It looks like The Speaker has not selected this amendment. Francois in not happy :lol:.

 

The Speaker has too much power to make selective decisions like this. He’s not being neutral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

 

The Speaker has too much power to make selective decisions like this. He’s not being neutral.

One of the Brexit benefits from Tories to denied him the lordship. They should be more kind to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Here’s one for you...

The UK also has a land border on Cyprus.

Large parts of this border are invisible - Just like Ireland.

Has anyone ever mentioned this?

Nowhere near in size or population as Ireland, next most important border will be with Spain, Gibraltar is ******ed, no one is respecting will of people there. They vote 90% against this stupidity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

 

The Speaker has too much power to make selective decisions like this. He’s not being neutral.

But he has passed an amendment on whether to delay A50 in order to hold a 2nd referendum. Who will get a free vote on that one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, yelims said:

Nowhere near in size or population as Ireland, next most important border will be with Spain, Gibraltar is ******ed, no one is respecting will of people there. They vote 90% against this stupidity

The point is that UK/Cyprus is largely an invisible border - like Ireland.

Spain Gibraltar is currently a hard border. No issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, yelims said:

Nowhere near in size or population as Ireland, next most important border will be with Spain, Gibraltar is ******ed, no one is respecting will of people there. They vote 90% against this stupidity

Not sure what you're talking about there because I don't recall any vote for stupidity. Mind you you're talking about something Gibraltar voted for, not the UK as a whole, so must be some local issue.

Edited by Riedquat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

How do you think that will happen.

Germany's big fear is that without the UK power will shift to the South. 

Nah they hold the purse strings and everyone knows it.

When our PM goes running off to Europe every other day, she's not seeing Giuseppe Conte, she's seeing Angela Merkel.

Also, I tend to believe David Davis when he said, it became apparent the EU negotiators were consulting the Germans about everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Here’s one for you...

The UK also has a land border on Cyprus.

Large parts of this border are invisible - Just like Ireland.

Has anyone ever mentioned this?

They are pure military bases with Cypriot laws for non military  crimes. No civilian activity is permitted. No Borders or customs are permitted, because it's Cypriot in all other senses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kzb said:

Nah they hold the purse strings and everyone knows it.

When our PM goes running off to Europe every other day, she's not seeing Giuseppe Conte, she's seeing Angela Merkel.

Also, I tend to believe David Davis when he said, it became apparent the EU negotiators were consulting the Germans about everything.

I thought it was us holding the purse strings. 

Anyway what difference does that make, without the UK (which voted with Germany on most issues)  they are far more likely to be outvoted by the Southern states.

I watched all of Davis's evidence to the select committee, I have never seen such a pile of self serving drivel and wouldn't believe a word he said on the subject. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Spain Gibraltar is currently a hard border. No issue.

It's the difference between a border where installing customs processes is politically tenable and one where it isn't. 

Edited by thecrashingisles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I thought it was us holding the purse strings. 

Anyway what difference does that make, without the UK (which voted with Germany on most issues)  they are far more likely to be outvoted by the Southern states.

I watched all of Davis's evidence to the select committee, I have never seen such a pile of self serving drivel and wouldn't believe a word he said on the subject. 

I am talking about after we have left.

I will stop there because we aren't leaving anyhow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely there is some law or procedure to stop what is going on.

Can they really keep presenting the same vote multiple times, on and on like torture, until MPs give in ?

Is there not some human rights law to stop this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GrizzlyDave said:

Here’s one for you...

The UK also has a land border on Cyprus.

Large parts of this border are invisible - Just like Ireland.

Has anyone ever mentioned this?

It's a military base as I understand . . . sort of no go area anyway. I have an idea there's also a listening post in Cyprus, which may also be Sovereign territory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

They are pure military bases with Cypriot laws for non military  crimes. No civilian activity is permitted. No Borders or customs are permitted, because it's Cypriot in all other senses.

Ok that makes sense.

17 minutes ago, thecrashingisles said:

It's the difference between a border where installing customs processes is politically tenable and one where it isn't. 

I thought Gibraltar was already outside the CU.

Having Personally crossed the border on foot; I can assure you it has the full hard border setup.

6 minutes ago, copydude said:

It's a military base as I understand . . . sort of no go area anyway. I have an idea there's also a listening post in Cyprus, which may also be Sovereign territory.

Look ok google earth - the border is largely invisible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

anyone keeping a list of options that are in uks unilateral power to enact?

i only see two so far:

mays deal. 150 majority against

no deal / cleanbreak. 40 majority against.

remain. voted yet?

any more ??

you could add realistically almost guaranteed to be agreed by eu.

delay for ref2 including remain as an option. vote today.

Edited by ebull
qualify ref2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People’s Vote Campaign and Best for Britain - who both are campaigning for a second referendum - don’t want MPs to vote on the amendment calling for a second referendum.

LMFAO

Edited by GrizzlyDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GrizzlyDave said:

People’s Vote Campaign and Best for Britain - who both are campaigning for a second referendum - don’t want MPs to vote on the ammendmebt calling for a second referendum.

LMFAO

The decision to hold a 2nd referendum (sorry "Peoples Vote") will only be the start of the fun. Then we have to suffer the whinging and dithering over the wording, if there is a long extension this will draw on for month/years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, GrizzlyDave said:

I thought Gibraltar was already outside the CU.

Having Personally crossed the border on foot; I can assure you it has the full hard border setup.

Which demonstrates the point.

The issue with the Irish border isn't that we can't ever operate customs borders, or implement new ones such as between England and France.  It's a specific political issue on the island of Ireland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

The decision to hold a 2nd referendum (sorry "Peoples Vote") will only be the start of the fun. Then we have to suffer the whinging and dithering over the wording, if there is a long extension this will draw on for month/years.

Yes that is the plan.  Extend for 2 years for a 2nd ref, by which time everyone will be sick to death of it all and give in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kzb said:

Yes that is the plan.  Extend for 2 years for a 2nd ref, by which time everyone will be sick to death of it all and give in.

I think people are and will be a long way from giving in. In order get near to that you need to be right at the thick end of the wedge and abolish democracy completely.

In the 2016 referendum I was 80% Leave 20% Remain, mostly based on the over-riding principal of democracy. Now I'm 100% Leave.

Given that back in 2016 more people from both Leave and Remain would have voted with the principal of democracy as simply assumed that we have it, the ratio of significance would have been higher on other factors, such as trade, immigration etc.

Almost 3 years later. Interest in politics and therefore the principal of democracy is probably far higher and we have things like what you mention, and this: https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/shelagh-fogarty/parliament-theresa-may-revoke-article-50-brexit/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • 354 The Prime Minister stated that there were three Brexit options available to the UK:

    1. 1. Which of the Prime Minister's options would you choose?


      • Leave with the negotiated deal
      • Remain
      • Leave with no deal



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.